toblix

Red Dead Redemption

It has struck me as one of those stoner games, one where you just let the whole thing wash over you. You do very little for hours on end but get tiny, incremental upgrades and advancements - much like most adequate JRPGs - you are never actually bored but the whole thing is never mind blowing.

Yeah, I think that's a good way to put it.

So what's the verdict on Undead Nightmare, now that everyone has had a chance to give it a go, is it as worthy an addition to RDR as TLaD and BoGT were to GTAIV?

Well, for me TLAD is still the best of all of them. I really liked Undead Nightmare, but despite its goofiness. The story was pretty good and it was a nice change from just doing the same thing again (as they had done with GTAIV) but I kind of wish they had done the same thing. Maybe a story set in Mexico with a character who knew the Mexican rebellion was being led by a jerk and resented Marston for his involvement. Or something like that.

So yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit and it was cool. I would say it was "worthy" but I preferred TLAD for sure.

I thought it was pretty worthy. Haven't played that much of it, as I went in too soon after finishing RDR and burned myself out on it a bit, but it was fun enough and I really want to go back to it. I liked the humour and the missions seemed good, but the territorial battles from San Andreas looked like they were back, and those were my least favorite part of SA so I tapped out for a while.

Just finished the main story...

If I hadn't had Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' White Lunar + Tom Waits playing in the background the whole time I don't think I would have finished it.

I am sure there was some point to doing pointless chores at the end but it just made me hate it.

Just finished the main story...

If I hadn't had Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' White Lunar + Tom Waits playing in the background the whole time I don't think I would have finished it.

I am sure there was some point to doing pointless chores at the end but it just made me hate it.

Hehe. I hated those chores, too. Utterly annoying as far as I was concerned.

So I somewhy didn't want to begin Morrowind again before I can get my hands on Skyrim and don't want to spend money on more expensive new games now so instead I bought the PS3 version of RDR and am now replaying that. Still awesome! This time I'll try to do more of the side things before the main story, as I will want to get 100%.

There's a weird thing in Red Dead that the minigames often last a full in-game day. Horseshoes is slow enough to take most of the day, and I was just in a poker game that lasted more than 24h in-game, and probably more than an hour real time. This stupid Mexican guy was probably bluffing half of the time, but I had such shitty hands that I couldn't even out-bluff him and whenever I had a good hand he kept folding.

Also, I didn't notice this as much in the Xbox 360 version, but this time I've ran into infinite wolves+coyotes a few times. Once I run into some and kill them, new ones appear, and before I can skin them, even more will come. I've not seen more than 6 or so at the same time, but I had over 20 in one place when I finally gave up and left. Seems to happen most when in treasure locations, but that might be a coincidence. I guess some other dead animal is functioning as bait and they just keep coming for that.

Finished Undead Nightmare. A fun expansion, and such an unexpected thing that I like it just for that. At first I thought it was a bit stupid, but it works quite well. It's not too long, except for the Missing Person quests if you want to do them all to get 100%. For some reason I did it, although I didn't really enjoy doing 14 or so of them in a row.

Some of the horses you unlock later are really fun! (not gonna spoil it)

I still haven't finished Gay Tony, so you can look forward to me keeping doing this some more. :P

Y'know, I still haven't played that (Undead Nightmare) beyond the first couple of missions. I made the mistake of going in right after finishing RDR and burned out fast. I should go back soon.

I originally planned on playing Undead nightmare, but after a while I got in the mindset that I would play it when RDR came out on PC. I think I should just give up on that.

Apparently Animal Collective made a song for Red Dead Redemption that didn't get used.

Wow! I never would have put those two together. They were riding such a(n I think strange) wave of hype after Merriweather that it makes sense that they were tapped, but this is exactly what I would've guessed they'd make. Totally an Animal Collective song, nothing at all stylistically/tonally close to the source material. Hope they at least got a payday out of it!