toblix

Red Dead Redemption

Guh bugs are starting to get to me too. I hadn't seen any before West Elizabeth, now there are tons of them. I was hunting a bounty up in the mountains, and when I hog-tied him, he rocketed down the mountain like he was a fucking penguin. I slid down the mountain, killed him, since there was no way my horse would be able to make it down there, then his gang showed up and for some reason I couldn't pull my weapon. I died. Reloaded and went back, he ran his horse off the same cliff, I went down there, his gang showed up, and for some reason the framerate dropped about as fast as he did over the cliff. I just turned the game off.

Bethesda really needs to make a western.

Well without the amount of bugs RDR has, it seems they already did.

Woooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch if a huge open-world game has a few bugs. It comes with the territory.

Bethesda really needs to make a western.

I don't understand this. Bethesda isn't particularly much better as far as bugs are concerned - I've fallen through textures, got stuck in geometry, randomly lost items, have had NPCs completely disappear, and such FAR more in Bethesda games.

I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch if a huge open-world game has a few bugs. It comes with the territory.

I absolutely agree. I have a much bigger problem with linear games with plenty of bugs.

My Bethesda comment has nothing to do with the bugs I've encountered, sorry about that. It's more referring to my comment earlier about the design. In all my experiences in open world games, I've never had three or four bugs in the same spot, and only in the same section of the game.

Damn it, now I'm doing the same thing I always do when I've got (something I think will be) an awesome game in my hands (or drive) I keep procastinating -- I was going to play RDR all weekend, but instead I've seen five hours of BSG, two episodes of Lost and Shutter Island.

Anyway, I have only played for about half an hour, but I'm already getting the good feeling of being in a huge, interesting world that I'll be getting to know better and better over the course of the game. I'll try to do more side-stuff in between main missions than I did in GTA IV, as mopping up stuff like that after having beat the story is horrible. In games like this, I really don't understand how anyone would head into multiplayer this early.

Possible spoilers:

There was a Stranger Mission that I was doing where one of the things I had to do was convince a woman to come back to her husband. So, I went over to her, and after she could not be convinced, I decided to try to hogtie her and bring her back, which actually worked! This is maybe the funniest thing I've ever done in a game. The only unfortunate thing is that her husband didn't react to the fact that I had her tied up, so the cutscene just played like normal. After the cutscene, I saw that she was still on the ground all tied up, so I cut her free and she just ran away.

I really don't like that dead eye thing. My instinct somehow always tells me to hold the button down, but that'll take it out of dead eye pretty soon. And it AUTOMATICALLY MARKS INNOCENTS. I've killed a few and lost honour simply because I moved the cursor over a person I was trying to save (he was between two bad guys).

God damn, this game is so engrossing, I didn't realize it's already 5 in the morning... I mostly hung around Armadillo and MacFarlane's ranch so far, but now I took a ride around the western and southern parts of New Austin, hunting treasure and stuff. I thought I lost another horse, as another came up when I whistled, but the next time my old horse was back. The game sure looks purdy, and more varied than the initial area makes it seem. Most of the other settlements seem to be waiting for missions though :( not much to do there so far.

OK, "The Incredible Donkey-Lady!" and "The Outstanding Gunslinger-Dog!" are pretty retarded bugs. How can they even exist? Are 360 and PS3 versions equally buggy or does one have more of this weird shit?

I'm still really looking forward to playing this next weekend. I even watched a western last night only to realize I had already seen it in Japanese a couple of weeks ago.

They may be 'retarded', but I like how, in all these videos of the NPC bugs, the people controlling the game are often crying with laughter. Much better than the game-breaking bugs I found in Fallout 3, or even Mass Effect 2.

OK, "The Incredible Donkey-Lady!" and "The Outstanding Gunslinger-Dog!" are pretty retarded bugs. How can they even exist? Are 360 and PS3 versions equally buggy or does one have more of this weird shit?

I'm still really looking forward to playing this next weekend. I even watched a western last night only to realize I had already seen it in Japanese a couple of weeks ago.

Not really, it just seems that there is a problem with model retrieval.

Not really, it just seems that there is a problem with model retrieval.

Yeah, the only bugs I've seen are models becoming invisible. Such as one of those horsethief ladies. I lassoed one and thought to take her back to the sherrif, but her model disappeared after hogtie and the game entered a state where I was carrying an invisible body and could do nothing else, so I reloaded.

Other bugs I've happened on are the regular physics weirdness that happens in any game, such as applying force to a body in a direction it cannot move, and it builds up and suddenly flies incredibly fast in a tangential direction to the pressure applied.

I can't wait to encounter Donkey Lady!! I'll be very disappointed if I don't come across it :gaming:

Holy mother of crap, I can't wait to keep playing this game! Last night I spent half an hour looking for the first treasure. I finally found it, which was immensely satisfying, and on my way back home it started to rain. Jesus, I thought the weather in GTA IV was well done, but the approaching thunderstorm across the desert in the distance was just amazing. One might say I was blown away by it. Also, halfway home I came upon a couple of guys who were up to no good. I killed them and took their money, and now I have enough money to buy the deed from the old guy.

I saw one of those jumping cart bugs. The carts in this game are funny. A single-horse cart is no slower than a horse without a cart. At least it didn't seem slower when I chased one. And their handling, especially during a firefight, is harder than cars in GTA, although you'd think the slower speed would make it easier.

I really love the soundtrack, along with the foley stuff it's pretty much perfect.

It's weird, I'm getting the same feeling I did with GTA IV, of slowly becoming more familiar with the environment. I love how the story gradually takes you further and further away from the start, but crosses over known territory so much you start to unconsciously recognise small details in the terrain. In Liberty City there are buildings and signs and all kinds of stuff to go by, but they're doing the same here, only with elevation, rocks and cacti. So, even though the environments outside the town (I'm still riding around Armadillo, the starting town) have very few obvious landmarks I keep identifying distinct places and areas in my mind. It's very impressive.

The trade-off between following roads and paths for speed, and going directly towards your goal seems very nicely balanced, too. I find myself using both, depending on how much I want to explore. The challenges are sweet too. It really adds very much to the feeling of variety in the game play, like in Arkham Asylum.