gdf

Life

To sum up, I didn't completely waste the last year of my life!

\o/  Hooray!

As a certified Jewish person, I'm authorized to tell you that's not a Reuben. Reubens aren't kosher so I don't know why this gives me authority but let's go with it. Reubens have 1000 Island (also nasty), and it sounds like you had Pastrami. I'm not knocking that sandwich, it sounds amazing and superior to a Reuben. Just sayin'.

I won't question your Reuben expertise, but it is definitely corned beef on this one. It's only ever available on special at RJ's because they only take the time to make their own corned beef about once a month, then the Reuben is available for however long they have the meat for it.  Some people draw a hard line that a Reuben doesn't use mustard, but after having had RJ's, I can't imagine it being better any other way. 

I'm just going to assume that SAM built some kind of Rube Goldberg machine to keep gators and jellyfish out of the coolant intake so it's a little entertaining.

On top of being exciting for him, grats on not wasting a year of your life, SAM!

p sure ppl who dont like mayo aint human so get off my internet k

\o/  Hooray!

I won't question your Reuben expertise, but it is definitely corned beef on this one. It's only ever available on special at RJ's because they only take the time to make their own corned beef about once a month, then the Reuben is available for however long they have the meat for it.  Some people draw a hard line that a Reuben doesn't use mustard, but after having had RJ's, I can't imagine it being better any other way. 

The difference between corned beef and pastrami is pastrami is smoked. There may be slight spice variations, but that's pretty much it. That you said it was smoked is the only reason I mentioned it.

Mayo is a condiment for people who don't like flavors. It fits neatly under the ranch corollary.

Mayo imparts a wonderful flavour, especially when blended with mustard. It must be used carefully though, for it is easy to overdo. And it's hilariously unhealthy if it tastes good.

The apartment people want a co-signer, or some other proof that I can pay up. I'm trying to get a phone interview with the Halifax job. Maybe they'll accept if I can show that I'll have more income.

The only mayo I like is the spicy japanese mayo that comes on top of sushi rolls.

I understand why people like mayo, it's just fat and oil which is everything that tastes delicious to people. It, and most condiments, just totally gross me out.

The only mayo I like is the spicy japanese mayo that comes on top of sushi rolls.

I understand why people like mayo, it's just fat and oil which is everything that tastes delicious to people. It, and most condiments, just totally gross me out.

Last time i was at the asian grocery store they had sriracha mayo, and while I have both of those condiments separately and it is within my power to combine them at my leisure, dang if I wasn't still tempted by the convenience of having it in a premixed, easy-squeeze bottle.

Recipe idea: make a grilled cheese sandwich, but replace butter with mayonnaise.

(I've done this. It's actually delicious, but not enough to compensate for the deep shame you'll feel)

Grilled cheese with mayo is excellent, makes a far crispier sandwich and the caramelized mayo adds another layer of flavor. Just don't use too much or the added moisture will require you to cook it far way longer than usual.

I don't like most condiments.  I don't care for mayo, I hate mustard and horseradish (including wasabi even though I love sushi), and don't like any salad dressings (the only salad I actually like is Caesar, unless you count stuff like taco salad).

Sauces on the other hand are great.  I consider condiments and sauces as separate things, though there is some overlap.  In general I think of sauces as things that are used as part of the preparation of the food or are an essential part of the dish and condiments as toppings that come after to add additional flavor.

I think that just throwing mayo on everything is silly, but there are many contexts for using it that I think hit your definition of sauce. Egg mayo and tuna mayo are probably the most obvious examples, as they are prepared in such a way where the mayo literally binds it all together and oh god it's delicious.

Also with sandwiches I don't think you can properly distinguish between a condinent and a sauce in terms of products, only by application. If it's added by the preparer as a fundamental part of the sandwich recipe — for example, the recipe calls for a very thin layer of mayo between meat slices — then it's a sauce, if it's added by the customer it's a condiment.

In short, mayo is amazing omg.

Mayo imparts a wonderful flavour, especially when blended with mustard. It must be used carefully though, for it is easy to overdo. And it's hilariously unhealthy if it tastes good.

"A thin layer between slices" sounds really gross and isn't really a recipe. :[

NON CONDIMENT TALK

I have been seeing a lady, and we've met up a few times. She has a busy job, and she seems somewhat reserved, doesn't like texting, so I'm not able to communicate that much with her. She keeps agreeing to meet, and hasn't told me to go away yet, but I honestly can't tell if she's interested. We got a drink last night and had a nice conversation, and when I walked her to her car she said "see ya!" and basically ran off the sidewalk to her car. Not even time for me to say good night. I like her, I'd like to continue seeing her! I am considering just asking flat out if she's, because if she's just being polite let's not waste each other's time. Is this a dumb idea I'm having because my brain is overthinking it? Communication is always super important but bluntness comes off badly sometimes.

I think that just throwing mayo on everything is silly, but there are many contexts for using it that I think hit your definition of sauce. Egg mayo and tuna mayo are probably the most obvious examples, as they are prepared in such a way where the mayo literally binds it all together and oh god it's delicious.

Also with sandwiches I don't think you can properly distinguish between a condinent and a sauce in terms of products, only by application. If it's added by the preparer as a fundamental part of the sandwich recipe — for example, the recipe calls for a very thin layer of mayo between meat slices — then it's a sauce, if it's added by the customer it's a condiment.

In short, mayo is amazing omg.

Tuna mayo is one of the cases that I like mayo although I still go pretty light with it.  In the case of sandwiches, I tend to think of everything as a condiment unless a specific part of the sandwich was prepared in a sauce (for example some kind of BBQ meat) and then you add more of that same sauce.

I have been seeing a lady, and we've met up a few times. She has a busy job, and she seems somewhat reserved, doesn't like texting, so I'm not able to communicate that much with her. She keeps agreeing to meet, and hasn't told me to go away yet, but I honestly can't tell if she's interested. We got a drink last night and had a nice conversation, and when I walked her to her car she said "see ya!" and basically ran off the sidewalk to her car. Not even time for me to say good night. I like her, I'd like to continue seeing her! I am considering just asking flat out if she's, because if she's just being polite let's not waste each other's time. Is this a dumb idea I'm having because my brain is overthinking it? Communication is always super important but bluntness comes off badly sometimes.

I definitely would not ask that, especially if you're thinking of doing it via text. It she still wants to see you in person, she's interested — at least, as long as this is understood by both of you to be dating. The best case scenario is she's a bit weirded out that you even had to ask.

A lot of people enjoy the fun and lack of commitment that goes with dating, and nothing tanks it faster than getting down to brass tacks too soon IMO. Just see where it goes, and if something is meant to blossom it'll do so regardless of whether or not you formally discuss it.

Toshiro-Hijikata-Gintama-Mayonnaise_zps1

Grilled cheese with mayo is excellent, makes a far crispier sandwich and the caramelized mayo adds another layer of flavor. Just don't use too much or the added moisture will require you to cook it far way longer than usual.

This is a really great idea. I've used mayo to bread chicken drumsticks before, but would have never thought to use it on a grilled cheese. 

Every year for christmas my mum gives me a stack of cans of smoked flaked salmon. Mixing it with mayo makes the best ever "tuna salad" sandwich.

Mayo consumption should be limited to accidental inclusion on meals & utilized as a vehicle to superior sauces.

I have similar feelings about Ranch & Sour Cream. 

One of my favorite spicier concoctions - 1/4c mayo, 2T siracaha, splash pickle juice.  utilize liberally

I definitely would not ask that, especially if you're thinking of doing it via text. It she still wants to see you in person, she's interested — at least, as long as this is understood by both of you to be dating. The best case scenario is she's a bit weirded out that you even had to ask.

A lot of people enjoy the fun and lack of commitment that goes with dating, and nothing tanks it faster than getting down to brass tacks too soon IMO. Just see where it goes, and if something is meant to blossom it'll do so regardless of whether or not you formally discuss it.

I disagree.  If you've had multiple dates, but no physical affection (not even kissing), that's keeping things in a pretty ambiguous place.  I favor clear communication over extended ambiguity.

The difference between corned beef and pastrami is pastrami is smoked. There may be slight spice variations, but that's pretty much it. That you said it was smoked is the only reason I mentioned it.

I didn't know that! Doing a bit of googling this morning, it sounds like some people favor smoked corned beef as a descriptor because it's more clear than pastrami, as pastrami has become more generic in that it can be from multiple cuts of meat, and may not even be from beef, whereas corned beef should always be from brisket.

The lady I previously mentioned and was having considerable trouble setting up a second date for (all under the insistence that she wasn't trying to get out of it) stopped responding to my texts (and the second date wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first date, so whatever - I would've gone for a third but I'm not gonna force it).

So I saw someone else on Monday and man it was awkward and really difficult to get her to talk and even once she did start talking it was still awkward. I just did not enjoy it at all.

So I'll be seeing someone else today after work. She seems pretty interesting from our brief textual conversations, but in all likelihood she just won't be interested in me, as that's usually what happens.

Man I hate dating. It just feels like work. I'm not cut out for this junk. I should just go back to being alone and not worrying about it.

I disagree. If you've had multiple dates, but no physical affection (not even kissing), that's keeping things in a pretty ambiguous place. I favor clear communication over extended ambiguity.

I don't know, I prefer to let actions speak louder than words. If there's been no physical affection after multiple dates then I'd probably just stop going on dates with that person.

It makes things a lot less stressful for me if I don't analyse the heck out of everything and instead take things at face value — if I'm not seeing clear chemistry and sparks in both directions after a couple of dates then that's pretty much it. Seeking true closure with every person I date is a recipe for pain.

The fact that the people of the UK can be a bit shy of being too direct about anything might contribute to this, but I've very rarely had it go down well when I've tried being more clear about intentions early on in the dating process. Usually the issue is evaded or — if it's via a text — I'm ignored. That smarts more for me than just drifting away.

I don't know, I prefer to let actions speak louder than words. If there's been no physical affection after multiple dates then I'd probably just stop going on dates with that person.

It makes things a lot less stressful for me if I don't analyse the heck out of everything and instead take things at face value — if I'm not seeing clear chemistry and sparks in both directions after a couple of dates then that's pretty much it. Seeking true closure with every person I date is a recipe for pain.

The fact that the people of the UK can be a bit shy of being too direct about anything might contribute to this, but I've very rarely had it go down well when I've tried being more clear about intentions early on in the dating process. Usually the issue is evaded or — if it's via a text — I'm ignored. That smarts more for me than just drifting away.

It is way less stressful if I didn't seek closure! But that would be really not who I am, so I do it anyway because *lots of shrugging*. I was told by a friend no I shouldn't ask, because she thinks I already know the answer to my question (no she's not interested). But what if I'm wrong and I just walk away?! Face value is I'm getting signals in both directions. Not interested, lack of physical interaction. But at the same time, who's gonna go out for a drink on a random Wednesday? She could certainly find someone to buy her drinks if that's what she wanted. Plus my question isn't "HEY ARE WE GOING STEADY?" it's "hey, is continuing to talk worth it for us?"

So I'm in the same place I was 4 hours ago.