gdf

Life

I saw them with Caribou. Maybe it was the venue, maybe it was that they didn't gel that well with what I had come to see, but they didn't do anything for me. That video you posted was much better than I remember though, so I may need to revise my opinion of them a bit.

I'm sure you have already done it, but I googled for a bit....it doesn't look like TF2 will run on a GMA 950:(

Yeah. I looked around a bit too...I checked this obscure website I always consult for these issues (it's a community of people who game on GMA 950 chips and they figure out how to get a lot of stuff running on them...they even mod drivers and stuff) there was a guy who gave a long description complete with detailed config. that allowed him to run the game, but it sounded like frame-rate drops were a big problem. I decided not to gamble my $20 on it. Instead, I bought a huge pack of old Kalypso strategy/sim games on GOG which I linked to in the general video game deals thread.

Edit: I have TF2 on the 360 if anyone wants to lower himself to my level.

When I read CBT, I thought you meant cognitive behavioural therapy, which, as it's a treatment for depression, didn't gel with your post at all. I AM REVISING TOO MUCH. I see illness everywhere!

Hehe :) I'm familiar with that kind of CBT, and it was a minor problem while googling for the other.

I saw them with Caribou. Maybe it was the venue, maybe it was that they didn't gel that well with what I had come to see, but they didn't do anything for me. That video you posted was much better than I remember though, so I may need to revise my opinion of them a bit.

I'm not sure I'd get on with that kind of thing live, but find they're an excellent soundtrack to any kind of transport.

Good for you man! I would love to go snowboarding, I'm jealous ;) Cool pics too although motorbikes scare me.

When I read CBT, I thought you meant cognitive behavioural therapy, which, as it's a treatment for depression, didn't gel with your post at all. I AM REVISING TOO MUCH. I see illness everywhere!

Weelllllll, doesn't just have to be for depression :P Really it's a method of altering one's cognitive processes, isn't it? So Stress is another well-known cause of someone going to CBT.

But yeah, it's a bit out of place :P

Is this any good? Blah, I know it's not the thread for it, but allow me to post a bit of fiction.

He was a fat man rich in vices. He did not smoke or drink or do drugs, and he did not have much to do with either men or women (this not being by choice), but he could be greedy and selfish and maybe swindle when he needed to. He was a man of the law, though this was by profession and not by nature. He’d done many things, not all of which he was proud of; he was maybe at heart a good man, but with too little spare good to share.

Larry Bernard – or the Fat Tub Larry, as everyone called him - was sitting in his office, writing a report and hoping that the rain would continue, as he needed an excuse to convince himself that he’d start his jogging exercise tomorrow instead. After twenty minutes of thinking of what to write and ten minutes of not doing it, he got up to the window. His normally beautiful view of the local town dump was obscured by the thankfully-relentless rain – a fact he would later realize was decidedly unfortunate.

He turned around and instead looked at his office, a boring little room that was brightly lit and barely furnished. A desk, a laptop, a telephone, two ladder-backed straight chairs, a small coffee machine, some resource books and a couple of forgotten paperbacks he’d borrowed off someone or another added little personality but a lot of blandness, but Bernard didn’t care. He picked-up his mug and poured himself another coffee – his third in under an hour – and began thinking that he should maybe actually write a little, but his phone rang then and he took the chance of further procrastination.

I like it. A couple of things I felt didn't 'flow' well, mind.

He did not smoke or drink or do drugs, and he did not have much to do with either men or women (this not being by choice), but he could be greedy and selfish and maybe swindle when he needed to.

It's just such a long sentence man, same as

A desk, a laptop, a telephone, two ladder-backed straight chairs, a small coffee machine, some resource books and a couple of forgotten paperbacks he’d borrowed off someone or another added little personality but a lot of blandness, but Bernard didn’t care.

Because of the length, it doesn't really read well. I'd suggest to slightly tweak those two, and it's a great little excerpt.

I prefer the good ol' leather pouch with silver coins in there. Worked for Judas, works for me.

You must be Canadian then. I carry an extra ten pounds around just to buy a friggin coffee in the morning.

Weelllllll, doesn't just have to be for depression :P Really it's a method of altering one's cognitive processes, isn't it? So Stress is another well-known cause of someone going to CBT.

But yeah, it's a bit out of place :P

You are correct of course but I should say that it's primarily used in the UK (at least from a GP perspective) to help treat depression and anxiety. But if you want to be a PEDANT ;p

On a side note... You're not free to sit some piddly little exams in June are you? xD

Came back from Canada last wednesday.

It was an awesome trip and I can say that everything I had imagined about Canada was basically true. It's a really cool country and I could actually live there some day.

The trip was just too short, in six days it's impossible to really see anything and with the insanely tight schedule it was very hard to really get a good picture of the cities.

Trip was basically like this in six days:

Montreal-Toronto-Kingston-Brockville-Ottawa

Montreal was cool, I liked the "small town" athmosphere even though most people spoke French, it was still ok to manage with English. We drove around the Gilles Villeneuve Formula 1 track during the night and during the day and had a blast!

Toronto really felt like a metropolis, big city with skyscrapers everywhere in the city centre and all the time new buildings popping up and under construction. Visited the Air Canada Centre and the Hockey Hall of Fame there. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, at least I believe so.

Ottawa was propably the best of the three. I absolutely loved the old part of Ottawa that had the marketplace and lots and lots of small shops everywhere. I'm really pissed that we wasted some time and missed the Museum of Civilization.

Also I got to meet Kara Scott and Mike Sexton in Toronto, that was super fun.

Definitely going back to Canada someday, hopefully for a longer visit.

I also met in the airplane an older Canadian woman who gave me a business card from Whitehorse in Yukon. Also one place to visit in the future as that place sounds really fascinating.

I also met in the airplane an older Canadian woman who gave me a business card from Whitehorse in Yukon.

If you know what I mean :yep:.

You are correct of course but I should say that it's primarily used in the UK (at least from a GP perspective) to help treat depression and anxiety. But if you want to be a PEDANT ;p

On a side note... You're not free to sit some piddly little exams in June are you? xD

I wish I was...

Unfortunately, I've got my own exams to sit, thank you very much. Psychology AS for the win! Well, and Maths, English Language and English Literature. :P

I too loved Cananananananada. We went and visited, as we were thinking of moving out there. While we liked it, and where we visited (BC) was so awesomely beautiful, the lack of 'age' about the place was a bit strange. Another thing that has put a temporary halt on the moving thing was that my mum has come down with Alzheimer's, so want to be around while she still has a mind.

That aside, we flew into Van, hung around there for a few days with some friends (awesome fun). It was may, and one of the objects of the trip was to see the Rockies in spring, so we hired a car and drove across BC and the Rockies (awesome fun, staggeringly beautiful) via the northern road (awesome) and Okanagan, went a little north in Rockies a few national parks (awesome), then onto Calgary (not so nice), drove back to Van via Crowsnest pass (I think this was miffy's tip actually. Respect.) and the border road, up alongside Kootenay lake (in a country full of beautiful things, this was nearly the best), through Nelson (nice, a bit too hippyfied thoguh), along the border back onto Highway 1, straight through Van to Vancouver Island (awesome) and onto Ucluelet (awesome). That was so staggeringly beautiful we stayed an extra day or two, saw some whales, then drove back to Van for some more parties, then flew home.

The Canucks were all super friendly (although we had a head start with some friends out there already, but their friends were super nice), and had a great time.

Highly recommended. Want to go back :)

My one regret is that we were there outside the hockey season, as I wanted to see what they all go crackers aboot. :tup:

Sounds excellent!

A little bird told me the developer of QWOP is moving to the UK soon, and I'm organising a conference centred on indie developers. Should I ask him to do a talk called "What is Game?" :grin:

Sounds excellent!

A little bird told me the developer of QWOP is moving to the UK soon, and I'm organising a conference centred on indie developers. Should I ask him to do a talk called "What is Game?" :grin:

A talk? There needs to be a whole conference called 'What Is Game?'. Or maybe more of an installation.

This suggestion is a bit delayed, but GrouchoClub, you might find it helps to try and swap your compulsive drinking with a more 'useful' compulsion - like an exercise regime (plan a jogging route, buy some weights) or teaching yourself to code, or a new language or something. You might get addicted to those instead, but at least it's easier on your liver!

This suggestion is a bit delayed, but GrouchoClub, you might find it helps to try and swap your compulsive drinking with a more 'useful' compulsion - like an exercise regime (plan a jogging route, buy some weights) or teaching yourself to code, or a new language or something. You might get addicted to those instead, but at least it's easier on your liver!

That's awesome advice, thanks.

That's awesome advice, thanks.

I actually concur with this. The thing about addiction to substances, as someone who's got over one, I can wholeheartedly say the best way (Only way?) to get over an addiction is to replace it with something else. Whether it's something active, like the afforementioned excersize, or just finding something else to do, I can say the best idea for you is to just find another device. The first month is the hardest, and then it can be hard in the future, if you can stick with it. Sometimes you'll see someone doing what you gave up, and you remember "Fuck, that was good", it's a toughie.

Stay strong brother!

You bastard! You have no idea how jealous I am.

You have no idea how surprised I am he's coming to Calgary. Oh, and the Buzzcocks will be in town a week later. Their set will be the complete tracklists of "Another Music in a Different Kitchen" and "Love Bites." Also have tickets for that. May is going to be the best month.

Oh man, putting this here cause it doesn't fit anywhere else, and I need to post this.

Lately, when I'm unsure of a URL, I just use the firefox feature to type something into the address bar for an instant "I'm feeling lucky" search, it usually gets me where I want.

But when wanting to check the forum just now, I opened a new tab, and without realizing it, just typed "Video games" and hit enter. <_<

I just got back from a 5 hour motorcycle trip. I decided to leave my car at home and ride my bike back to college. Only 150 miles but it still took me 5 hours (god damn Northern Virginia traffic). Unfortunately I didn't wear my gloves so my hands are super sunburned.

Here's my bike (Triumph Bonneville T100 2010)

mobilephotoapr520107524.jpg

I too loved Cananananananada. We went and visited, as we were thinking of moving out there. While we liked it, and where we visited (BC) was so awesomely beautiful, the lack of 'age' about the place was a bit strange.

My one regret is that we were there outside the hockey season, as I wanted to see what they all go crackers aboot. :tup:

That's hilarious, I'm from BC and currently in Montreal and the significant sign of age is weirding me out; I better not move to Europe then, lol.

Yeah.... probably best to avoid hockey if your not a nut about it, assholes honking horns for 2 hours post game down robson street gets old in about ten minutes. :)

Also, I haven't figured out why they go crackers over it and I grew up here.

I guess here in Europe we're all living in the decaying ruins of dead civilizations!