gdf

Life

So this happened.

We'd closed the shop and I was in the back office - everyone else was on the shop floor. I didn't have the safe key on me. They didn't believe me. Nobody could hear us. It was intense. It was also supposed to be my god damn day off.

Crazy shit. I'm glad you're ok.

I have to make a difficult decision by tomorrow. I'm quite happy at my current job, developing information systems for local businesses and government agencies. It's occasionally boring but it can be fun too. The job is just challenging enough that I still have energy to work on some of my own projects on my free time (like tinbullet.in).

But now I've been offered a position in a small company that makes some really cool products that are sold worldwide. They have a really great team, probably the best Java developers in the country and I think it'd be great to work with them. But I'd have to move to a different city for a while (I quite like where I live now) and I'm not sure I'd enjoy the theme of the work, which is some really low-level and difficult Java stuff and integrating with various undocumented code. Stuff that normally makes me swear if I encounter it while trying to do something useful. Also I'm already in a project with a pretty good team, everything is going well so far and I would hate to leave in the middle of it :(

But on the other hand, it is a world class product they're making and I'd really like to do product development for a while rather than work on custom software solutions for specific customers. I'd be getting a lot of experience and probably learn something about building products that could be useful to me later later if, say, I'd want to develop tinbullet.in into a real product.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a deliberator. Choices like this are never easy to make for me.

You really sell the move in your post Erkki, so I would guess that's the better way to go. It's also more challenging so when you complete your tasks and the project they are developing, you will feel great for it and be more knowledgeable to boot.

But yeah, it would suck to move if you love where you live.

So this happened.

And Christ! I'm glad no one was hurt! From the stories I've heard some of those robberies can get ugly really fast!

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I have to make a difficult decision by tomorrow. I'm quite happy at my current job, developing information systems for local businesses and government agencies. It's occasionally boring but it can be fun too. The job is just challenging enough that I still have energy to work on some of my own projects on my free time (like tinbullet.in).

But now I've been offered a position in a small company that makes some really cool products that are sold worldwide. They have a really great team, probably the best Java developers in the country and I think it'd be great to work with them. But I'd have to move to a different city for a while (I quite like where I live now) and I'm not sure I'd enjoy the theme of the work, which is some really low-level and difficult Java stuff and integrating with various undocumented code. Stuff that normally makes me swear if I encounter it while trying to do something useful. Also I'm already in a project with a pretty good team, everything is going well so far and I would hate to leave in the middle of it :(

But on the other hand, it is a world class product they're making and I'd really like to do product development for a while rather than work on custom software solutions for specific customers. I'd be getting a lot of experience and probably learn something about building products that could be useful to me later later if, say, I'd want to develop tinbullet.in into a real product.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a deliberator. Choices like this are never easy to make for me.

For what it's worth I don't think you are over deliberating, these choices are difficult to make for anyone. A fear of the unknown (new job) set against familiar territory (current job) is always going to be a tricky thing to work through.

From what you have said, the new job sounds like it could be really exciting and will likely increase your employability for the future, even it it turns out that you're not that keen on doing it for a long time. People with the skills you have will always be able to find work I'm sure, adding another dimension will only serve to make you more attractive to an employer.

In my opinion, you shouldn't worry so much about the theme of the work, if you are surrounded by some great people, the negative elements of work become less intrusive.

I say go for it!

So I just discovered my passion for writing songs in English. Not good ones, but still. Here is the one, that I feel most comfortable about:

Crazy man's dream blues

Yesterday evening I had an affair,

I blew some buildings up in the air.

I then asked the queen,

If she could lend me her nuclear submarine.

She said: ''Mate,

Just you wait!

I'll put you in jail,

As a very noughty male!''

I than ran away,

But was still okay,

'Cause I asked princes Margaret,

Not to be upset,

Just give out the command,

To all soldiers of the British land,

To raise up when I wave with my hand.

She didn't agree,

Said I would never be free,

So I laid down to her knee.

She than pounched like a kangaroo,

And I knew,

I was in a bad man's shoe.

I was than in an arrest,

Clean as it was out of Budapest,

But I just made my face to look the happiest,

As some sort of protest.

Later that night,

I started to write,

About the moral fight,

That happened that midnight,

In my mind,

When I tried to rule,

As a fool,

When I was fifteen,

To the world of at least seventeen.

Only thingthat was a sure piece of cake,

Was to do that kind of mistake,

To rule a world, wide as an endless lake.

song lyrics

Because of your avatar and also because it has the feel of something like "Tombstone Blues" or "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream", I couldn't help reading this with Bob Dylan's voice in my head

Talking world war III blues from bootleg series vol.6 was the inspiration acctualy. I'll try to find the video after I finish my dinner.

Because of your avatar and also because it has the feel of something like "Tombstone Blues" or "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream", I couldn't help reading this with Bob Dylan's voice in my head

I read it as a rap song :getmecoat

So I just discovered my passion for writing songs in English. Not good ones, but still. Here is the one, that I feel most comfortable about:

I didn't like the music :deranged:

Talking world war III blues from bootleg series vol.6 was the inspiration acctualy.

Also from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan of course.

"Great car for after a war."

That alone is 15,000 words, on top of all the stuff I'll have to do in other classes.

I should really find a place to live already. I will do that once I finish off this years work...

I decided not to move. I really want to finish the project I'm currently working on. And I'll have more energy to work on my own projects. And I can stay in this city. The company where I would have moved may have other openings in the fall, so I might reconsider then (but I won't be part of the "core" team then).

I learned to drive a tractor and operate stuff off the back of it this week. Also: Looks like new contract is definitely a go.

I decided to buy myself something nice! Sorry for the shitty image quality; I don't have a proper camera.

berserkakira.jpg

Indeedy! It's gigantic version of this one:

AKIRA5A.JPG:D

I met Malcolm McDowell on Friday night. He was at my theater for a screening of A Clockwork Orange which was happening in conjunction with the local comic convention. He was chilling in our green room before the Q & A with Sid Haig (from the recent Rob Zombie movies, but much more loved by me for his work in crazy 70's exploitation movies, such as Coffy) and my girlfriend and I walked in to get some beer unaware that they were in there. We ended up having a bit of a chat with them, which was amazing. I got a picture taken with McDowell as well, which is extra sweet. I look kind of like a tool in the photo, but I'm only really in it to prove that I met him, so that's ok.

Went to the comic convention the rest of the weekend, which was making a big deal over the fact that Leonard Nimoy and Brent Spiner were in attendance, but I'd already gotten all I needed out of the weekend. I just bought some dorky merch and called it a good time.

I met Malcolm McDowell on Friday night.

Awesome! Although, for a comic convention, it seems to be more interested in tv/film. What's the deal with that?

So I'm essentially brute forcing some coursework out (intentionally IGNed). Having missed a load of relevant lectures due to being ill a month back and having awkward to read notes, trying to figure out what the hell is happening, so far it seems to be working, which I really hope continues. Tomorrow is going to be horrid though, both this coursework is due and I have a midterm, on top of that I have a £500/$800 deposit to put on a house, expect a drunk Patrick in GTA.

Awesome! Although, for a comic convention, it seems to be more interested in tv/film. What's the deal with that?

It's just the way our convention is. Honestly, I think it's because Calgary doesn't have the market to sustain a convention that would actually be dedicated to comics rather than just geek culture.

It's just the way our convention is. Honestly, I think it's because Calgary doesn't have the market to sustain a convention that would actually be dedicated to comics rather than just geek culture.

Sure, I get you. There are few comics conventions that can sustain themselves without bleeding into general geek culture anyway. I suppose the big bucks come from crossover interest in Sci-fi, film adaptations, anime, Twilight, etc. It's a completely understandable way to diversify your audience and get some bodies through the doors.

In life news, I'm about to finish off a monster essay for my MA called 'Colliding Reality and Fiction: How Kore-eda Hirokazu Represents 'Truth''.

I just finished my BA-Honours in Philosophy. My thesis defence was today. Afterward the deliberations with the rest of my panel, my supervisor came out and said "We've decided. There were some concerns about clarity but in the end the originality of your ideas trumped them. You're getting an A. And I'm going to give you a hug." Then I hugged my supervisor and all of my schoo work to this point melted off of me and it hit me that I'm finished. Not just finished, but with an A on my final thesis. I'm so bloody relieved and happy right now. WHOOOO!