gdf

Life

Clint Hocking and Warren Spector didn't want to be my friends!! ;)

Ossk, today is going to be awesome. Sounds like some of your expectations were disappointed this week. So drop your expectations and realise you don't know how today is going to go. I am pretty envious of you, you've got a ton of interesting stuff to go and see or listen to at GDC. Make a little plan of panels you want to go to and just go and take them in. Maybe you'll meet some interesting people, maybe you wont (spoiler - you will) but you enjoying your day isn't contingent on that.

If you are at a loss for something to do, go do something touristy over sulking in your hotel room.

I expect you to learn something interesting about video games that you can tell us poor bastards who dont get to go because we have non video game jobs.

I'll try that tonight if people keep on ignoring my PMs.

Do you have internet access and any games you can play online? If you do, I'm sure we can get a few Thumbs together to have a game and a chat over Skype/Steam or whatever.

I know from experience that it's truly miserable to be on your own away from home; I sympathise.

"Among other things, I wanted to see if I could make an electronic light feel more human friendly than most, and found rotary controllers are a good way of doing this."

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... THE "DIMMER" SWITCH!

I expect you to learn something interesting about video games that you can tell us poor bastards who dont get to go because we have non video game jobs.

Something : Sid Meier is an intelligent human being but his talk was really not meeting the expectations he explicitly gave.

"Among other things, I wanted to see if I could make an electronic light feel more human friendly than most, and found rotary controllers are a good way of doing this."

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... THE "DIMMER" SWITCH!

Wrong.

So that girl I randomly gave my number to... is way too awesome. She rocks. I hope it goes good places.

Also, my dad is a huge Glen Beck fan and basically believes the Democratic party as a whole wants to puppet master the world at large. :nuts: He would never put it into those words himself, but the way he talks about it can easily be summed up as such. Help me?

Liking Glen Beck is ok, as long as you don't believe what he says is ok.

Maybe helping him can be done by breaking his TV.

I'm sad at the moment. Real sad.

:(

This has been my last three months. I'm down in Cannes. Don't know anyone here and there isn't too much to do. Been traveling around a bit, but all of that is alone, and while my big fucking old 30th birthday was really nice the day-to-day has been pretty annoying. So all I really do is work, which lets me afford the traveling, but... yeah. The most social contact I've had in the last month has been basically with the dude from whom I sometimes buy kebabs. Mahmud. Nice guy, but a little loud.

Also, this week it's been fucking colder down here than in Toronto WTF.

That said, I can see the fucking Mediterranean from my apartment so, really, I have no bloody complaints!

(I do miss my game consoles though. )

I just spent two weeks staying with my girlfriend at her uncle's house so that we could take care of his cat and his little scottie dog while he was in South America. Had a great time, and as a bonus, this whole experience has removed the anxiety that the girl was feeling about moving in together this summer. Plans had been tentative, but she kept bouncing back and forth on how she felt. Now she's fully in, and I'm very happy.

OssK and Mike, that's rough. If I were at either of your locations, beer would be bought for you. As it is, nothing causes people to come to Calgary except a horrible rodeo, so online sympathies will have to do. I hope you got some thumb responses, OssK. Good luck having a kickass rest-of-GDC.

:(

This has been my last three months. I'm down in Cannes. Don't know anyone here and there isn't too much to do. Been traveling around a bit, but all of that is alone, and while my big fucking old 30th birthday was really nice the day-to-day has been pretty annoying. So all I really do is work, which lets me afford the traveling, but... yeah. The most social contact I've had in the last month has been basically with the dude from whom I sometimes buy kebabs. Mahmud. Nice guy, but a little loud.

Also, this week it's been fucking colder down here than in Toronto WTF.

That said, I can see the fucking Mediterranean from my apartment so, really, I have no bloody complaints!

(I do miss my game consoles though. )

I'll be back in Paris in a bit, wanna get around town sometimes ?

Also, I might be travelling for a few days near Cannes, how long are you staying there ?

OssK and Mike, that's rough. If I were at either of your locations, beer would be bought for you. As it is, nothing causes people to come to Calgary except a horrible rodeo, so online sympathies will have to do. I hope you got some thumb responses, OssK. Good luck having a kickass rest-of-GDC.

Speaking of beer, for you, OssK and anyone else who attended GDC and doesn't know anyone (of which I'm sure there are a few) I have a suggestion to get you out and around with some locals if you'd like. On Sunday nights, a local bar here called Vertigo has Rock Band competitions which are a lot of fun and may be a great place for an impromptu pseudo-meet-up. I know the convention ends on Saturday, but if anyone is still in town, my housemate Dr Strangepork and I will probably be there for my birthday anyway.

If anyone would like to join in and meet some locals, we'd love to play rock band with you, although we do not have cool jobs that allowed us to attend GDC.

The bar is on Polk street and if anyone is interested, I can give you our particulars so that you can recognize us.

Speaking of beer, for you, OssK and anyone else who attended GDC and doesn't know anyone (of which I'm sure there are a few) I have a suggestion to get you out and around with some locals if you'd like. On Sunday nights, a local bar here called Vertigo has Rock Band competitions which are a lot of fun and may be a great place for an impromptu pseudo-meet-up. I know the convention ends on Saturday, but if anyone is still in town, my housemate Dr Strangepork and I will probably be there for my birthday anyway.

If anyone would like to join in and meet some locals, we'd love to play rock band with you, although we do not have cool jobs that allowed us to attend GDC.

The bar is on Polk street and if anyone is interested, I can give you our particulars so that you can recognize us.

Please, give particulars.

I'll be back in Paris in a bit, wanna get around town sometimes ?

Also, I might be travelling for a few days near Cannes, how long are you staying there ?

I'm here til' the end of the month. Then (probably) Paris for Aprile, although I don't have an apartment or anything lined-up yet. That's how I like to roll.

Life?

Don't talk to me about life.

I'm going out on a limb here, Hotblack, but are you a Hitchhiker's fan?

Life has been kind of :tup::tmeh::tdown::tmeh::tup::tmeh::tdown::tmeh::tup: for me so far this year. It's either going veer up or down drastically in the coming weeks. We shall see.

I'm going out on a limb here, Hotblack, but are you a Hitchhiker's fan?

My goodness, how did you know? Was it the eyes? People always say that my eyes give me away x_x

I'll try that tonight if people keep on ignoring my PMs.

Also...try to find some music that helps. Belle & Sebastian was always soothing for me.

Also, my dad is a huge Glen Beck fan and basically believes the Democratic party as a whole wants to puppet master the world at large. :nuts: He would never put it into those words himself, but the way he talks about it can easily be summed up as such. Help me?

Don't worry. That's just dads for you. Dads are old and a lot of them are really conservative (probably as a result of age). As long as your dad's not a congressman or something, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Dads are old and a lot of them are really conservative

A couple of years ago mine said, with apparent seriousness, that he was going to vote communist. Things may well have changed since then, though.

A couple of years ago mine said, with apparent seriousness, that he was going to vote communist. Things may well have changed since then, though.

Honestly I'd vote for the communist party if they just called themselves the communist party. Instead, at least in Canada, they have a nice way of calling themselves communist without the word; to me that's like tricking people.

Glenn Beck really? Man, I think I'd have to beat up my dad if he believed in that, but I'd have to use a bat so he knows this isn't just one of his regular beatings.

My dad is pretty conservative but he's not insane enough to follow Beck and the nutjobs.

Feel bad for ya man, that's a tough situation.