gdf

Life

I know, but it's so much more satisfying when you do the strumming and whistling yourself. I almost want to go camping this summer solely to do that around a fire.

In other news: It's 5 in the morning and I just finished compiling the final draft of my honours thesis. Shit. I guess I'm pretty much ready to graduate now. That's some crazy emotion I'm getting from this moment.

CONGRATS!!!! Soon be time to kick back and enjoy your achievements...you've earned it :D

It's quite simple. I have a controller that looks much like an Xbox 360 or PS3 controller, only it looks like this:

ftr_vmk176plus.jpg

You might notice this controller looks similar to a piano, in some ways (though much smaller, as I'm sure you can see!). Now, if I were to press one of the keys on the "piano controller", my computer machine would then choose a piano sound from one of these disks and play them through my multimedia speakers. The computer is quite smart, though, so it knows which sound goes with which key, so that it sounds almost like playing a real piano. If I put all the files inside the computer (known to computer scientists as "installing" the files on a "hard drive" or "hard disk") I don't have to leaf through all the disks to find the one with the right sound each time I press a key.

How do you win?

By making art.

I made art today after my second cup of coffee.

How do you win?

Did you beat it?[/Jake]

[edit]pop-cultural pun not intended, but appreciated in hindsight.

Turned on my PC this morning and found huge coloured block artefacts across both monitor screens. I guess my graphics card is dying.

Fuck.

Turned on my PC this morning and found huge coloured block artefacts across both monitor screens. I guess my graphics card is dying.

Fuck.

Sorry to hear that. This is the second time in a couple days I've heard of people simultaneously using multiple monitors. Why do people do this? I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just curious.

Sorry to hear that Dan :(

Sorry to hear that. This is the second time in a couple days I've heard of people simultaneously using multiple monitors. Why do people do this? I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just curious.

It can be a very productive way to work, from my point of view having email constantly up on one screen while I deal with everything else on another can keep me really focussed and reduce time spent dicking around with the interface. Likewise, running four desktops in Ubuntu used to mean super organised windows and less time pecking around transferring stuff from one to another. Over a whole day, that kind of thing adds up.

I used to have three screens, but that increased my productivity so much my keyboard almost melted.

I don't use my second screen most of the time, usually when I have to look at logs.

I have this set up at work. It helps when you have to use multiple art programs at once and you can also have some sort of reference on display if needed (of course you could always just print it out too). Also some of these Adobe programs have so many god damn windows inside of them that you almost need another screen now.

It helps when you have to use multiple art programs at once and you can also have some sort of reference on display if needed (of course you could always just print it out too). Also some of these Adobe programs have so many god damn windows inside of them that you almost need another screen now.

These reasons are pretty much why I started doing it. that and just because I could.

Quick bit of research suggests that this is a classic case of VRAM wearing out. I can try compensating with motherboard RAM or underclocking my GPU, but in the end I need a new graphics card. Can't really afford that right now.

Art guy at work has two monitors. From what I've seen, one is for Photoshop and one is for Firefox/OTHER BROWSER OF CHOICE. I guess it depends, though. He's also the web design guy and I guess it's cool to have the code and site visible at the same time without mucking about with tiny windows.

I'd kind of like to do a multi-monitor set-up, but I have no legitimate reason for doing it, and my desk is already quite cluttered.

Having worked on multiple monitors at work for a while now, I feel claustrophobic using photoshop on just one monitor. Throw all the docks and things on one and have a clean working area on the other. Keep mail and ichat in the secondary, a few terminal windows, textmate in both when needed. I also do the whole exposé thing with multiple desktops and different apps locked to each... It is probably far more complicated than it needs to be, and also far less organized than it could be. But yeah, multiple monitors for the win.

So this happened.

We'd closed the shop and I was in the back office - everyone else was on the shop floor. I didn't have the safe key on me. They didn't believe me. Nobody could hear us. It was intense. It was also supposed to be my god damn day off.

So this happened.

We'd closed the shop and I was in the back office - everyone else was on the shop floor. I didn't have the safe key on me. They didn't believe me. Nobody could hear us. It was intense. It was also supposed to be my god damn day off.

Holy shit.

So this happened.

So they just cornered you, or was everyone else you worked with there, too? That sounds absolutely horrible... and terrifying. How are you all holding up?

Goddamn, man. I assume if you're posting here it means you're ok, so that's good, but shit. That's the kind of thing that'll change the way you look at the world for a long time, if not for good.

Also, the very first comment on that article is by some guy confused that a shop would be open that late on a Sunday because "Sunday is a day for thanking the big man." What the fuck, people?