Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I am recently infatuated with this song.

I just want to blast it in my car on repeat 5eva. Jean's verse could stand to be louder in the mix if I want to be nitpicky about it but that backing track is just immense/amazing/etc.

I like that new Nick Cave song, and that RTJ/DJ Shadow video is pretty crazy, but now for something completely different...

The Divine Comedy! I've always liked this band, but mostly for individual songs than whole albums. His new one tho, Foreverland, I've ended up listening through several times over the past couple days. It's great. Very beautiful and theatrical, kinda in the vein of The Decemberists or some of Amanda Palmers stuff.

This track is a bit more poppy. A bit more dad-rocky.

Been listening to BadBadNotGood and The Internet a lot lately.

Also I've started getting into UK Grime MC's like

and
again. Also about to check out Vince Staples.

Recently I got introduced to the new Jerry Paper album and I haven't been able to put it down all week. It's a good record that I'd recommend you listen to all the way through if you're into 1960s sounding pop with jazz overtones. It has an Elephant 6 vibe to it which I enjoy too; a few of the tracks feel like they could have been lifted from a lost Olivia Tremor Control album or something. 

https://jerrypaper.bandcamp.com/album/toon-time-raw

Also been enjoying the new Machinedrum track. I'm not super familiar with his output but it was a nice thing to have drop into my soundcloud feed.

Been listening to a lot of electroswing while I do homework recently. 

The album <|°_°|> by Caravan Palace has a lot of good stuff, notably Lone Digger which is just gold.

I would also recommend checking out Parov Stelar and Caro Emerald if you're interested in electroswing.

DOOM soundtrack officially released. Just over two hours of audio. Long versions of level tracks (~6-8 min) with shorter interstitial music in between.

I love experimental music too, but I don't think the new Bon Iver is very good. I think it's a lot of showy production on songs that are actually quite simple, sometimes just fragments of songs. No ideas are really developed or given room to breathe, which is fine as a deliberate choice, I just don't particularly like it.

Can't wait for the new Leonard Cohen album.

Also, Nicolas Jaar's new album Sirens is pretty fucking dope: