Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

New Mastodon album, it's good!  (except for one song which might be the single for the album which is fucking awful and sounds like early 2000's Hot Topic alt-rock)

There are four new Gorillaz tracks out for people to listen to. I liked Gorillaz around the demon days release and would listen to that album on repeat while playing some WC3-mods. Since those days I have listened to some of the tracks and I liked Melancholy Hill but I didn't really go any deeper into any of the other songs.

But now I've got a taste for some new Gorillaz music! I listened to the four new tracks and I didn't like them all that much. The song featuring rapper(? I don't know if he calls himself a rapper and I'm to lazy to google it. I've heard some of his music and they don't seem to be very hip hop, rapper-ey) D.R.A.M. called Andromeda was the one I liked the best, but maybe not enough to recommended it to anyone.

I should also add that I don't really know what the deal is with these songs, maybe no-one does. They seem short and maybe they are missing some parts or something. Maybe they aren't even songs from the album. But on the other hand maybe these are the singles in the old "these are the best songs off of the album to sell you on how awesome it is going to be"-sense of the term music singles. If the latter is the case then I'm not very impressed.

I reckon Hallelujah Money is dope, Its definitely not an album banger/radio hit though. I haven't listened to the others but maybe they are being a bit weirder this time and trying stuff less approachable. 

9 minutes ago, xchen said:

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and Audioslave has died

I've been listening to a bit of Yngwie recently. A lot of shredding gets, in my opinion, rightfully picked on for being soulless, but these performances are anything but:

Might be a bit obvious, but, the new Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem (call the police) and The War on Drugs tracks are really good 👍🏻

All near the top on here 

Also check out the artist LP (I caught Mr Vanaman listening to her and gave it a shot, good stuff)

Definitely loving all the tracks you mentioned. Grabbed Arcade Fire tickets already, getting the War on Drugs next!

Jealous! I'd lover to see those bands. Was thinking yesterday whilst listening to Arcade fire how they'd be a great festival headliner act.

7 hours ago, Mington said:

Jealous! I'd lover to see those bands. Was thinking yesterday whilst listening to Arcade fire how they'd be a great festival headliner act.

I saw them in 2004 I think at a festival as one of the three headliners (The Killers were the top billing, then Modest Mouse, and then before them was Arcade Fire).  I had never even heard of them before but they were incredible.  I remember the first thing that stood out, aside from just them being good, was they did some sort of weird performance thing where members of the band were fighting each other, like actually on the floor rolling around hitting one another during the song.  Then I remember they played a cover of State Trooper (Bruce Springsteen is my favorite artist in any medium ever) and I was totally sold.  It was one of the best arena performances I've seen from a band and while I'm sure their shows are totally different over a decade later I'd love to see them again.

I went to the Reflektor tour and it was nuts! Their ability to filter their music and never have an off song is second to none. That show was one of my favorites ever. There's a new Phoenix record out tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it but have tempered expectations after Bankrupt! I'll be back in here this weekend with my initial thoughts. 

i've had "surgical focus" by guided by voices stuck in my head for like two weeks now and i don't know why particularly since "do the collapse" is certainly a top five musical disappointment of my life but dang that is a good song that snuck on there somehow

I was at a Death Grips gig last night, which was basically a thousand or so people moshing non-stop for an hour, so fucking good.

I've also fallen deeply in love with Hiatus Kaiyote. A friend introduced me to them last year but I didn't really click to how great they are until recently, it was a sublime experience when I finally did.

Also recently discovered Jacob Collier from a really amazing interview he did with June Lee, diving into music theory. The guy unbelievably is talented; he single-handedly "writes, arranges, records, produces and performs" all his music, and he just turned 23.

New Queens of the Stone Age album is cool and weird.

This is so god damn good. There are three or four sequels as well and they're all fantastic.