Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

If either of you aren't familiar with Miles Davis - Kind of Blue then you need to check it out. I don't know much jazz either but I know it's great :)

Yeah, I should say that I don't know anything about jazz because I don't like it that much. I've certainly put in my due diligence listening to classic albums like Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew and A Love Supreme and Bird & Diz, but none of it does much for me. I do like Thelonious Monk, though, especially when he plays without a band.

Jazz:

Chet Baker - Sings

John Coltrane - Coltrane/Prestige 7105

Miles Davis & John Coltrane ‎– Live In Stockholm 1960

Duke Ellington - Money Jungle

Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca

Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots and The Black Saint & the Sinner Lady

Moondog - Moondog

Sun Ra - Supersonic Jazz

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean?

Horace Silver Trio and Art Blakey - Sabu

Can't go wrong these

Wow the Iggy Pop album is indeed great. Not bad for a 70 year old

It's my favourite album of this year (aside from Blackstar, still this is the most listen-able) but I really have to be careful how much I listen to it.

Been getting back into St. Vincent a lot too. I originally liked her album with David Byrne more and bounced off her latest solo album but going back it's been really good.

My favorite kind of rap is clever in some way. Here's some of my favorite clever in a cute way rap songs:

Shad - The Old Prince Still Lives at Home

Shad - Rose Garden

Bullfrog & Kid Koala - Reverse Psychology

You mean all good rap? :P

You might enjoy Open Mike Eagle, if you haven't heard of him yet. Intimate, funny, but never obnoxious and pompous.

Ooohh.. oooh... OOOOH.

I adored the first album

Yeeees!

(Not my favorite The Avalanches song but pre-perch'd Wildflower nevertheless.)

(Not my favorite The Avalanches song but pre-perch'd Wildflower nevertheless.)

Equally excited. gotta wonder how long they've been sitting on that doom verse.

Ever since rumors started circulating about the second album several years ago, I have been checking the Avalanches Wikipedia page and Twitter every few months. Apparently they started working on that single quite a long time ago.

In March 2012, American rapper Danny Brown confirmed that he was working with the group on a track entitled "Frank Sinatra"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avalanches#Second_album

http://pitchfork.com/news/45833-danny-brown-collaborates-with-the-avalanches/

I'm still really picky about what jazz I like but I thought I'd finally give Kamasi Washington a try and holy fuck I can't get this album out of my head. It's been ages since I've had one of those so it's a great feeling.

New Fear of Men is likable. Moonface & Siinai also good so far. Excited about upcoming Bat for Lashes and Angel Olsen and Beck.

Found this while looking around articles for Kamasi. It feels so nice. Kind of like Battles, kind of like Tame Impala.

The new album by The Kills has been fun too. Has a little bit of an XX vibe running through it too.

I've had this song stuck in my head lately but I haven't really heard it since I was 8.

Went through the upcoming album releases list on Metacritic to see what to expect in the few upcoming months. Some highlights:

DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall (June 24)

Róisín Murphy - Take Her Up To Monto (July 8)

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree (album) and One More Time With Feeling (cinema experience?) (September 8)

http://nickcave.com/music/nickcaveandthebadseeds/skeleton-tree/

http://nickcave.com/films/one-more-time-with-feeling/

(Expecting this to be even darker than usual in light of recent events in Nick Cave's life)

The new Red Hot Chili Peppers is out and I see a lot of people giving the band a lot of shit again. I mean okay, the band hasn't been good in awhile, but I think they were a really strong band in the 90s. I'm still somewhat surprised by how good their album One Hot Minute is, especially considering its reputation and the story behind its creation. And because I really didn't like it much in my teens. It's probably the most ambitious, aggressive and stylistically diverse RHCP record. Here's my favorite song from it, the supremely funky and silly Walkabout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXfqFZDHjcE