Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 38: The Return, Part 4

Is it possible NotPhillipJefferies is Mike or somebody phoning from the Lodge?

I'd always thought doppelgangers were vessels that occupied the Black Lodge exclusively - Leland's came up to Cooper and said he didn't kill anybody (because the real Leland did, while Bob was driving him.) I mentioned in the ep2 thread about doppelgangers - it's tough to discuss them without knowing more about what they are (empty vessels unable to exist outside the lodge/malevolent mirror versions/etc.) DougieCoopClone raises tons of questions.

Wally Brando was great for that scene but he should be used sparingly. As should Lucy and Andy - I started siding with the new Truman when my patience was wearing thin. And I like new Truman too - he slides comfortably into the cast.

I really enjoyed the sinister, manipulative thumbs up from DoppelCoop during the meeting. He knows Cooper's vocabulary but can't deliver it appropriately. Also Lynch's performance and the subsequent scene between Albert and George.

Edit. George? Who's George?! Gordon.

There's something to the "Coffee awakening Cooper" theory. All of Coopers dialogue after coming out of the lodge have been repeating something that someone has said to him. Him going "Hi!" is the first time he's said something that wasn't ape'ing other people.

After being pretty worried after two episodes, and cautiously optimistic after the third, I'm happy to say that I absolutely loved this episode. It is not just that it has more humor, it is more that it has something to care about (Cooper, Gordon Cole...).

On 24.5.2017 at 10:46 AM, BigJKO said:

This spit-take. :tup::tup::tup:

giphy.gif

Take Five spit-take to be precise. That scene was fantastic! I really hope we get to see Naomi Watts' character's reaction to revitalized super-confident Cooper in the next episode.

Man, Kyle MacLachlan's performances have been great.

Also, that Michael Cera bit was so fucking awkward. I loved it!

On 23.5.2017 at 9:34 AM, Gregalor said:

While Michael Cera is taking a lot of people out of it, the musical outros are what have that effect on me. They feel like David Lynch appearing at the end of every episode and saying, "And BY THE WAY, here's a band I like, you should check them out after this." They feel like they could have all been filmed at Lynch's music festival that he put on last October, rather than acts that would be booked at the Bang Bang Bar in Twin Peaks.

Yeah, I'm with you. To me they feel like guest spots in this huge production and not something that adds to the overall atmosphere of the series. I can't pinpoint what makes them feel that way for me. Anyway, fortunately, it is not that big of a deal, at least for me.

6 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Is it possible NotPhillipJefferies is Mike or somebody phoning from the Lodge?

I'd always thought doppelgangers were vessels that occupied the Black Lodge exclusively - Leland's came up to Cooper and said he didn't kill anybody (because the real Leland did, while Bob was driving him.) I mentioned in the ep2 thread about doppelgangers - it's tough to discuss them without knowing more about what they are (empty vessels unable to exist outside the lodge/malevolent mirror versions/etc.) DougieCoopClone raises tons of questions.

I think one of the key things the person on the phone says is "I will be with Bob again." So I think you could make as much argument for Mike as you could Leland. Of course, we don't know who else may have Been with Bob.

Am I seeing things or is glass box sofa kid the same guy that's a young Twin Peaks deputy in the conference room scene?

i have a question maybe some of you can answer... so at the end of episode 4 we have a sort of punch-drunk evil coop who seems maybe a little overwhelmed by, i guess, the black lodge (he says something like "it's yrev very good to see you") and his teeth are now black just like windom earle and laura palmer both had before they meet their respective demises... so what exactly do the black teeth have to do with what is happening? am i missing something?

7 hours ago, LadyHawke said:

Am I seeing things or is glass box sofa kid the same guy that's a young Twin Peaks deputy in the conference room scene?

I don't think so.  Sam (glass box kid) is Ben Rosenfield and based on the credits, I'm guessing it's Deputy Jesse Holcomb, played by James Grixoni.

3 hours ago, suzyisbored said:

i have a question maybe some of you can answer... so at the end of episode 4 we have a sort of punch-drunk evil coop who seems maybe a little overwhelmed by, i guess, the black lodge (he says something like "it's yrev very good to see you") and his teeth are now black just like windom earle and laura palmer both had before they meet their respective demises... so what exactly do the black teeth have to do with what is happening? am i missing something?

Maybe evil coop can't survive now that be barfed up all the garmonbozia? I am the wrong person to ask about that stuff but it seemed like in FWWM, lodge people consume it. Maybe without it they become weakened and fall apart?

9 hours ago, suzyisbored said:

I suspect it's just like Good Coop being unable to process the real world, when they are both present they can't function right until one of them dies

7 hours ago, Bjorn said:

I don't think so.  Sam (glass box kid) is Ben Rosenfield and based on the credits, I'm guessing it's Deputy Jesse Holcomb, played by James Grixoni.

Very similar look, though. And it's not beyond David Lynch to rename someone for his own purposes, like when no one knew that Piper Laurie was the Japanese guy ...

I'm wondering how long it will be until good Cooper's storyline converges with the Vegas storyline set up in episode 2 about the person you'd never want to be mixed up in things with.

Who here said they speculated that person was Audrey? I think that's a great idea.

18 hours ago, LadyHawke said:

I thought so too! Has this been confirmed at at all?

Edit: Yes, this has been confirmed by every other response in this thread, haha.

Random thoughts about show so far,,

I agree that wally is totally dick's bio kid.

I think good and bad coop will get their act together, it makes more sense that we will have 2 fully functional coops playing off each other. It also makes sense that evil coop is out of commission while good coop is still vulnerable. A few cups of joe and he will be OK.

Laura Palmer, if she is ageing in the lodge and is both dead and alive, is it possible the version of her in the lodge could escape at some point. Might the "ring" have put her in the lodge somehow, Could the series end with coop actually saving Laura Palmer?

The jacoby stuff is the only thing that is dragging for me, do we really have to have to see him paint all the shovels one at a time?

It's kind of weird that evil dale looked up all those schematics for the prison he was going to end up in accidentally a day later.

Doesn't dougie's kid look a lot like the strange kid with the drug addict mom that lives in the house across from where coop came out of the socket.

also what were the numbers she was yelling? is that the kids name?

The photo cole looks at with the weird "alien" in the box, did they say it was right before it happened? So is that what cooper would have looked like to them if they were in the room, or was the the killing thing?

I think Bula doesn't have teeth that's why her lips are like that. 

28 minutes ago, Guts said:

Doesn't dougie's kid look a lot like the strange kid with the drug addict mom that lives in the house across from where coop came out of the socket.

Maybe Dougie has kids all over town.

Does anyone have any theories about Agent Tammy? The acting is SO BAD, I can only guess that it's intentional. She's really hamming it up any time she's on screen, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in every scene she's in.

If I went wild with conspiracy guesses, it makes me suspect that Tammy is not a legit FBI officer, but maybe is someone who has infiltrated the FBI from some other faction and is doing a bad job of blending in. We already know that Albert and Gordon don't entirely trust her.

Loving it so far! I do have some random thoughts, particularly on what was slightly brought up in previous posts, but really stands out to me. This is the difference between the, for lack of a better term, 'Classic' Twin Peaks vs Modern Twin Peaks characters in settings. This is a little disorganized so I'm going to bullet point it.

1. The interactions in the Sheriff's office. Above the obvious new tech vs old files stuff, I feel the characters all had a distinct difference. The new deputies (like the beardy guy) seemed to be very disinterested, bland and even sarcastic in regards  to Margaret's warnings in specific and the case in general. This contrasts to all of the classic characters who took it seriously and emotionally; very well expressed by Bobby who, even if it was a little over the top, still cared deeply about Laura and likely the town in general. 
  2. This is a minor nitpick, but during the DoppelCoop interrogation, Tammy was using a laptop while Gordon and Albert were without. I understand why Gordon was without, but when thinking along these lines it seems to signify a difference in modern vs past ways of operating
  3. In general, the scenes in Twin Peaks have felt more emotional than the ones outside of it. Even the initial New York box scene where the couple end up making out felt kind of emotionless. This persisted to Las Vegas in my opinion where no one really stopped to help Coop despite him clearly not being sound of mind. The place where this starts to blur is in South Dakota where it felt like there was emotion but felt like it was still lacking something. I feel like this area is where the normal and supernatural are going to mix the most and the supernatural will go back to Twin Peaks while the normal will go elsewhere. I don't know. I'm likely over analyzing this stuff or missing something but it's fun to speculate.

37 minutes ago, Gregalor said:

Does anyone have any theories about Agent Tammy? The acting is SO BAD, I can only guess that it's intentional. She's really hamming it up any time she's on screen, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in every scene she's in.

If I went wild with conspiracy guesses, it makes me suspect that Tammy is not a legit FBI officer, but maybe is someone who has infiltrated the FBI from some other faction and is doing a bad job of blending in. We already know that Albert and Gordon don't entirely trust her.

But yet you can "accept" a midget who talks backwards?

Yeah, that's just how Chrysta Bell talks, I think. I've watched a few interviews with her and from what I can tell, she has a natural speaking voice that can't help but sound a bit affected.

I'm generally not interested in differentiating between "good" and "bad" acting anyway. People talk and behave in wildly different ways and I think we generally are too narrow in how we expect actors to deliver their lines and are too quick to jump on them for not meeting some arbitrary standard of believability or realness. For example, people love to call out Keanu Reeves as a bad actor, but he's just talking the same way he always talks. Doesn't make him a bad actor, it just means he's working within the framework that's natural for him.

1 hour ago, suzyisbored said:

just for clarification on bobby... didn't he kill a cop in FWWM?

In self defense during a drug deal. The cop started to pull his gun out first.

Can we start referring to people and their dopplegangers in ghost/goblin context so I can understand what's happening?

30 minutes ago, dartmonkey said:

I think Lynch himself refers to BadCoop/DoppelCoop/KillerCoop as Mr C (as did Otis in episode 1.)

In this EW interview, he says he just calls him Cooper's doppelgänger, but that we obviously can call him whatever we want.

T. Yoshisaur MunchiCoopas it is, then. 😉 

Spoiler

#video games

Edit. That's a nice little interview. It make sure me wonder what sort of behind-the-scenes extras the bluray will have. It'd be easy to fill it with hours of puff-piece interviews but I imagine Lynch/Frost would want something more akin to the last box set.

Also, without getting too gossipy, it's a shame that Michael J. Anderson didn't return. In terms of the show itself, I think the evolution of the Arm fits in nicely but reading Anderson's Facebook shows he seems to have issues with both Showtime and Frost.