Chris

Idle Thumbs 248: The Bear's Black Heart

Idle Thumbs 248:

859__header.jpg

The Bear's Black Heart

Happy birthday to you. We're getting really into The Witness, and we've kept it spoiler-free. Happy birthday to you. Nick has also joined Chris in his Just Cause 3 devotion, and we mull over the lineage and legacy of Myst. Happy birthday to you. There's also a teddy bear that keeps singing "Happy Birthday to You." Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to—

Just Cause 3, The Witness, Myst, Riven, The Dig, ancient daddy long legs, a terrible teddy bear

Classic dad plays portal

(I don't remember there being stupid music and comic sans all over the video... Oh well)

Seeing

was incredibly distressing to me, even though I knew from the audio he didn't maim himself.

Use some scissors next time you want to get inside a stuffed animal!

Love The Witness and The Witness talk, but loving even more how Myst is now part of video conversations again (and NOT in that infuriating dismissive "wasn't that shit horrible?" way that is STILL the default mode of discussing Myst, unfortunately).

Myst was cool, is all I'm saying.

Yeah Chris, don't think you sneaked your little Crossfire commercial pull past us.

Fuck, I have a visceral reaction to the Crossfire commercial theme song. It's been stuck in my head non-stop for over twenty years without interruption. Goddamn that song.

Does anyone remember that there was a different version of the Crossfire commercial music? This one is the second one which even as a kid I didn't think was as exciting as the first. Also, a friend of mine had it and it was a pretty terrible game. We played it once or twice and then got bored :P

I am unsurprised and incredibly pleased that the nightmarish screaming of "Drop" Johnson from Miller's Crossing is something that Chris (or Jake?) knows well enough to reference immediately and stick it multiple times in the podcast. God, listening to it sounds like a fever feels...

I am unsurprised and incredibly pleased that the nightmarish screaming of "Drop" Johnson from Miller's Crossing is something that Chris (or Jake?) knows well enough to reference immediately and stick it multiple times in the podcast. God, listening to it sounds like a fever feels...

Oh man that's exactly the scene I was referencing when alluding to "screaming Coen bros characters." Did extra editing happen that I haven't heard?

That reveal was incredible. I was having so much trouble holding my snickering in on the train that I somehow dribbled a little bit.

From the Myst/Witness cuisine discussion, and because I read the New York Times food section a lot during my lunch break: wondering if The Witness is less "deconstructed adventure game" and more "local/Slow Food adventure game"? I'm trying to think of the word for the cuisine movement that's about revisiting classic dishes with a modern eye towards ingredients but the term is escaping me (or might just not exist and my brain is messing with me).

That reveal was incredible. I was having so much trouble holding my snickering in on the train that I somehow dribbled a little bit.

This. I was grinning like a maniac for the rest of the episode after that stunning twist.

Oh man, this episode. Imagining you guys' expressions as the events involving the birthday bear unfold was just priceless. Best laugh I've had in a while. :D

Good stuff about the Witness too. Very interesting game. Playing it in a similar way just walking around a bit solving some things, then exploring elsewhere or letting the game be for a while if I get stuck. I think being able to trust that the game is being fair and all the clues are there - which is pretty much Blow's whole design philosophy - really helps here. You're not left wondering if there's an item you forgot to pick up, a dialogue option you missed, or an area you didn't realize you could go, making it impossible to solve with the tools you have, which by contrast is what has me reaching for a walkthrough with adventure games more often than not, on the rare occasions I still play those...