Turrican

What's your stable of staples?

There are so many games out there nowadays that I find myself constantly pouring the contents of my wallet in my Steam account, only to then leave many of the games I've bought untouched.

So, I've decided to stop playing any MMOI and to pick out around 25 games that will be the only thing I play for the forseeable future until I've really gotten everything I can out of them.  Here's my list below - do you have one and, if so, what would be on it.

• The Witcher 3
  • XCom: Enemy Within
  • Civ V
  • Endless Legend
  • Distant Worlds: Universe
  • Age of Wonders 3
  • Panzer Corp (complete)
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Company of Heroes 2
  • Total War: Rome 2 / Attila
  • Anno 2070
  • Europa Universalis 4
  • Crusader Kings 2
  • Don't Starve
  • Invisible Inc.
  • Sunless Sea
  • Homeworld Remastered
  • Unity of Command
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Legend of Grimrock
  • Men of War: Assault Squad 2
  • Skyrim
  • This War of Mine
  • Xenonauts

Probably

• Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Spelunky
  • Crusader Kings 2

I played 1343 hours of those 4 games in total according to Steam's unreliable numbers. That dwarfs the 571 recorded hours of every other game I own on Steam combined.

Although since TF2 makes up 988 hours of that, it alone has more hours compared to every other game including the others from my staple list. (TF2 -> 988, Everything else -> 926)

The games I constantly go back to are:

Super Monday Night Combat

Titanfall

Battlefield 3

Spelunky

Banner Saga: Factions

Pinball Arcade (right now I'm playing El Dorado a lot)

Pinball Fx 2

Right now two games I use as my 'go-to' game when kinda ambivalent about how to spend some free time alone is Spider Solitaire and EU4.

I think I might add CiV and Endless Legend to that but not sure yet since I have to be playtesting my own little 4X-lite soon :)

At the moment for me it's

- Hearthstone arenas/tavern brawl

- Destiny

- Heroes of the Storm dailies

- Crypt of the Necrodancer (occasionally)

I'm feeling quite low-energy at the moment though so the vast majority of my game-related time at the moment is actually spent on twitch looking at others play games. Kind of sad.

TF2 is number one.

I find myself falling in and out of love with Spelunky, but that's after 233 hours of play.

There is no single player game that I've played through more than Deus Ex.

I probably sunk a hundred hours into Gemcraft Labyrinth before my save accidentally disappeared and I lost all my progress.

For me It's Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Dark souls, Splatoon and Touhou. Oh and also Resogun is taking up a lot of my time. That game is good.

dota and issac rebirth

Diablo3 when a new patch shows..but doesnt hold my interest long after

I've been playing X-COM: UFO Defense, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter almost since they came out (actually I came to X-COM years later, but still long, long ago - a couple decades, maybe). Nuclear Throne and Spelunky are more contemporary squeezes. I still play DooM sometimes too, and qrth-phyl. Dota 2, Company of Heroes 2, and Men of War Assault Squad 2 round out the multiplayer games that I still play fairly often-ish, as these things go. And I guess Threes and Drop7, for mobile games.

I love this idea. I want to replay games, it's something I never do, so I end up buying more and more games.

I think if I made a list off the top of my head:

- Souls (Dark, Dark 2 and Bloodborne)

- Metroid series. Let's learn to speed run.

- Binding of Isaac

- Rogue Legacy

- Xcom Enemy Unknown

- Monster Hunter

- Fire Emblem

- Platinum games like The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta.

It changes month to month but right now:

Path of Exile

Dirty Bomb

StarCraft 2

StarCraft

Mostly just campaigns for SC 1 & 2.

It is DOTA 2 and XCOM for me these days (and I haven't played much XCOM lately).

TF2 used to be my main go-to game for anything, but I haven't played it in a long time.  At least 2 or so major updates ago.  It's still my number one in terms of hours played (1318.9 hours according to Steam).

I've been doing the Spelunky daily challenge more than a year now.  I think I've missed about a week total in that whole time.

My normal method of play tends to be to find a game, get obsessed with it for a while, then move on to something else.  That game for me at the moment is probably Killing Floor 2.

My staple lately is Payday 2, although it hasn't even come close to the hours that I've put into Crusader Kings 2. Other games that I've put several hundred hours into and keep coming back to include Europa Universalis 4 (which really feels like an offshoot of my interest in CK2), Total War: Shogun 2 (and Rome: Total War before that), the two Souls games available on PC, Euro Truck Simulator 2 (for obvious reasons), and Civilization IV (which I don't own on Steam and therefore have no idea how many hundreds upon thousands of hours I've put into it, invariably drawing me back from any investment in Civilization 5).

Several of those games, I don't know how I'll ever play out my interest in them. CK2ETS2, and Payday are still getting regular DLC that's keeping them, if not fresh, than somewhat less moribund, so... yeah.

I'm a sucker for playing and replaying single player rpg's.  It was KOTOR 1 and 2 for a while, then Fallout 3 and NV for the last few years.  Now, after only mildly liking it on release, I went back to Dragon Age: Inquisition and it's the only game I've played in months, up to a few hundred hours.  I tried to get into old crpg's, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, etc. but the clunkiness of the combat ui is beyond my patience.

I'm poor after a couple years of privilege, so I have a big backlog to explore, but honestly, I'll probably spend the next five years on Skyrim mods.

Is the original post even asking what games we return to regularly, or habitually? 'Cos, like, Spelunky for me. And Doom, I often bung that on when I don't know what else to pick.

FTL is one I go back to a lot. I'd go back to XCOM: Enemy Within more often, but it's not currently working on my PC, so I don't.

Outside of the PC, I constantly go back to the original Warioware: Mega Microgames. Easily one of my all-time favourites.

According to steam I've mostly played XCOM, Skyrim and Civ V the last couple of years.

However back before steam counting your hours was standard procedure, I couldn't tell you the unaccountable hours I have spent playing Counter Strike 1.6 & source (it will easily be in the 1000s) or a game called Silent Storm, and its sequel sentinels. Again, that'll be in the high hundreds I expect.

I don't really play CS:Go these days. Mostly because I'm old and my reflexes are now abysmal, but all thanks to the distinctly hostile community. I have rather enjoyed planet ide 2 though

Games that I come back to on a somewhat regular basis:

Minecraft

Destiny

Battlefield 4

Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3 and Super Mario World

Super Mario 3D World (I've somehow passed the 100 hour mark on this one and will probably keep revisiting it for years to come)

KOTOR

Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2

Diablo 3

Borderlands 2

Pokemon

Rainbow Six Vegas

Journey

I've been playing X-COM: UFO Defense, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter almost since they came out (actually I came to X-COM years later, but still long, long ago - a couple decades, maybe). Nuclear Throne and Spelunky are more contemporary squeezes. I still play DooM sometimes too, and qrth-phyl. Dota 2, Company of Heroes 2, and Men of War Assault Squad 2 round out the multiplayer games that I still play fairly often-ish, as these things go. And I guess Threes and Drop7, for mobile games.

Have you seen the fan-made Open Xcom overhaul for the game?   http://openxcom.org/