Jake

Twin Peaks Discussion

I hate it. I talked about my dislike of it plenty in this week's podcast episode but oh man.

I wouldn't hate the scene if Cooper didn't sound like a douche when he basically said "Now go make me some coffee Diane!". Otherwise the scene wouldn't be more than a tease, anyway.

Haha yeah I don't much like it either, it's a little too much fan service for something Twin Peaks related. Hopefully TP2016 doesn't fall into that trap.

I've said on this forum before that I thought Diane was the name of Cooper's dictaphone and I am going to stick with that.

I've said on this forum before that I thought Diane was the name of Cooper's dictaphone and I am going to stick with that.

Official canon from now on. :tup:

Hey, she never responds so it's still possible. Maybe he's just asking her to make his coffee because he's crazy.

I always half jokingly thought that Diane was just a imaginary figure in Agent Cooper's mind. This deleted scene (aside from being terrible) doesn't disprove that theory!

I love the scene with Cooper and Diane because I am a sucker and it was cute. I didn't find it too coy and it was just the right amount of fanservice for me because it was so short. I didn't realize that was such an unpopular opinion but I'm sticking to it, dammit! :P

I just recalled an important fact, or an important-if-factual memory:

On some Twin Peaks DVD, I think one of the discs of the TV series in an edition that preceded The Entire Mystery, there's an interview of sorts where David Lynch is talking in a bar with Kyle MacLachlan and Mädchen Amick. The conversation has something to do with Twin Peaks but meanders quite a bit. At some point Lynch is talking about numerology and mentions his fondness for the number seven. Amick interrupts in a teacher's-pet sort of way to say: "You know what number I really like, is seventeen."

Lynch shuts her down: "Seventeen's an eight—but that's a good number, too." and continues with what he was saying.

David Lynch seems utterly in love with Mädchen Amick...Wow, I just realised for the first time ever that Gordon Cole could return in TP2016. In fact, he probably will! As with everything regarding the new series, whether good or bad, it'll be interesting. But I do have a Cooper-esque optimism that everything's gonna be alright.

I just recalled an important fact, or an important-if-factual memory:

On some Twin Peaks DVD, I think one of the discs of the TV series in an edition that preceded The Entire Mystery, there's an interview of sorts where David Lynch is talking in a bar with Kyle MacLachlan and Mädchen Amick. The conversation has something to do with Twin Peaks but meanders quite a bit. At some point Lynch is talking about numerology and mentions his fondness for the number seven. Amick interrupts in a teacher's-pet sort of way to say: "You know what number I really like, is seventeen."

Lynch shuts her down: "Seventeen's an eight—but that's a good number, too." and continues with what he was saying.

"I'll see you again in 25 years..."  25... 2+5... 7... it's all happening as was foretold! Lynch controls reality!

Not sure if this has been posted here, but this is especially relevant given this is a video games based podcast.  Someone recreated the city of Twin Peaks in Cities Skylines.  How Cool!?!?!

http://imgur.com/a/RK7Ap

Just wanted to let people know that I started a thread a while back on dugpa's "World of Blue" forum for fans to discuss their first reactions to various turning points on the show (you can find it here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2600&start=60). There are a lot of really interesting responses and I'm going to sample & compile them into a blog post sometime in the next month. I feel the juxtaposition of different reactions, from different times and places, could be really interesting.

Before I do that, I wanted to give more people a chance to respond. It's open to newbies and veterans alike, though given how many first-time viewers are on this forum it will be especially interesting to add their voices to the mix (so far most of the replies on that original thread are from people who watched it years, even decades, ago). Here are the turning points I was curious about (I'll spoil it in case new listeners come to this thread before they've finished the rewatch):

1. The pilot
2. The appearance of Bob in episode 1
3. The Red Room dream in episode 2
4a. The season finale - the fact that Laura's killer was not revealed
4b. The season finale - Cooper being shot
5. The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer - did you read it before watching season 2? Did it point you in a certain direction?
6a. The season 2 premiere - the very long opening with the waiter
6b. The season 2 premiere - the appearance of the giant (which certainly takes the vaguely supernatural air of the show in a new direction)
6c. The season 2 premiere - the violent flashback to Laura's murder, with Bob making his first sustained appearance
7. Bob crawling over the couch in episode 9
8a. The killer's reveal in episode 14 - the fact that it was Leland
8b. The killer's reveal in episode 14 - the fact that it was also Bob
8c. The killer's reveal in episode 14 - Maddy's murder (maybe the most disturbing thing I've seen in a TV show or even movie)
9. The way the discovery & capture of Leland/Bob is handled in episode 16
10. Leland's wake in episode 17, with the comic subplots emerging and the writers trying to move past the mystery
11. The realization that the Cooper-Audrey storyline was not going to play out
12. The stretch of episodes 17-23 (you know the ones)
13. Where you felt the show picking up again
14. The finale (and I know it was a 2-parter in '90 but I'm particularly keen to hear how the Lynch half played)
15. Fire Walk With Me

If you think you've already answered these elsewhere in the forum, and would like to have those responses included too, let me know and I'll track them down which shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for making these discussions so great. I feel like I learned a lot about the show from participating in the Rewatch community, not just from long-time viewers but from people experiencing it with fresh eyes.

Oh no!  Eric da Re has gone full Kenny G, while Lara Flynn Boyle looks like she's being forced to replace Lady Miss Kier in Deee-Lite.

Would people be game for starting 9 new threads, one for each (non-FWWM) Lynch feature? (Maybe 10, one for all his shorts and other projects?) I think it could be cool, but don't want to just go hog-wild and clutter of the page with a lot of new threads unless some people express interest. Maybe it will encourage people who are still keeping an eye on the forum to watch some of them and leave their first reactions, ala Twin Peaks Rewatch. Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

Would people be game for starting 9 new threads, one for each (non-FWWM) Lynch feature? (Maybe 10, one for all his shorts and other projects?) I think it could be cool, but don't want to just go hog-wild and clutter of the page with a lot of new threads unless some people express interest. Maybe it will encourage people who are still keeping an eye on the forum to watch some of them and leave their first reactions, ala Twin Peaks Rewatch. Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

I imagine one David Lynch film catch-all would serve your purpose.

I'd kinda like separate threads. Maybe we could do some kind of organized re/watch in order to space out the thread creation.

I just saw Wild at Heart yesterday for the first time!

I'd kinda like separate threads. Maybe we could do some kind of organized re/watch in order to space out the thread creation.

I just saw Wild at Heart yesterday for the first time!

I agree, the conversation will get too confusing if we are trying to talk about 4 movies at the same time. Maybe one up per week would be good, give us time to focus. I would think eraser head should be first, but it doesn't matter. Maybe reverse order would be fun.