BigJKO

A Dedicated Thread For Talking About Star Trek Episodes

Watching season 2 of TNG, I want to add to this discussion that there was just now an episode where Troi [in regards to Riker] lectures her mother that in human culture in that time, people don't 'own' one another anymore. The idea being that marriage and polyamory are well-practices there, if not the norm. (I recall that later on in the show, in one of the movies, they get married, so perhaps the whole idea is abandoned later on.) Klingons at least are shown as devoutly monogamous people, for whom sex is an absolute ritual full of meaning and responsibility.

On 2/10/2014 at 11:26 PM, SecretAsianMan said:

For that episode, Robert Picardo acted out the scenes where the Doctor was inhabiting Seven's body so that Jeri Ryan could observe him, then mimic his performance.  I would love to see some footage of that, if it existed.

6 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

The majority of episode is so-so, the absolute best part is watching Jeri Ryan enact all of Robert Picardo's mannerisms.  Supposedly Picardo acted out the scenes where the Doctor possesses Seven on tape so that Ryan could better mimic him.  I would kill to see that tape.

Is there an episode of Star Trek where someone gets stuck in a time-loop, doomed to repeat the same forum post once every three years or so?

merritt has done 2 star trek eps of dad feelings one about Picard and one about Sisko. The guests that have been on have been really great and jazzed to talk about Start Trek. I highly recommend them.

30 minutes ago, Ben X said:

Is there an episode of Star Trek where someone gets stuck in a time-loop, doomed to repeat the same forum post once every three years or so?

Maybe encoded within the slight changes to the post are hints to how we can free him from the loop.

On 8/14/2017 at 9:16 PM, jennegatron said:

merritt k hosts a podcast about dads called dadfeelings and August is Star Trek month. last week was Jean-Luc Picard and this week is Benjamin Sisko

http://dadfeelings.com it's a very good podcast and I recommend you check  it out (and a bunch of the other episodes as well!)

8 hours ago, jennegatron said:

merritt has done 2 star trek eps of dad feelings one about Picard and one about Sisko. The guests that have been on have been really great and jazzed to talk about Start Trek. I highly recommend them.

Oh shit, it's spreading and the time-gap is closing!

Just like Sisko I am stuck in a time loop, only to appear every few days to shill for dad feelings. The only way I can be freed is if my children (you all) listen to the episodes when I am near so that i can escape and go back to my primary timeline where I don't think about Star Trek.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, Ben X said:

We'll find out in three years when I post it again.

Just watched the DS9 episode "Things Past" and it had a lot of good Odo acting from Rene Auberjonois.  It also had Red Forman.

He's in an episode of Voyager as well (two-part episode actually).

Myself, I watched the TNG episode where Picard cures Dr. Pulaski by transporting her un-changed DNA. If they can curse someone with the transporter, why do they need a sickbay at all? It seems like a bad plot device to use.

I've found a good way to find enjoyment out of early TNG is by listening to the Star Trek: The Next Conversation podcast after (https://t.co/PIca0cX5WX). Totally irreverent and fairly occasionally way off topic, Matt Mira & Andrew Secunda go through each episode and take it to bits really in quite amusing fashion. They're only up to episode 7 of season 2 so it's been mostly drudging through the bad stuff and it'll be interesting to see how they tackle a really good episode like The Measure of a Man (which will be coming up pretty soon actually).

OOOH, Netflix UK is getting Discovery on the 25th and just put up a new trailer. It's the one with a cover of I'd Love To Change The World, and it's actually pretty cool. Feels quite nuTrek but not in a bad way. I also got a bit of a BSG vibe.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to see what this is. The CGI looks pretty nice for such a CGI-heavy TV show. And I never minded the nuTrek look with the heavy bloom, so I'm fine with that stuff. I really liked the war-heavy seasons of DS9, so I'm interested in seeing what Discovery does with a Klingon war.

Meanwhile, I've entered season 3 of TNG and by golly, it's getting good now. Gone are the days of serviceable but also kinda quaint plots. Every episode so far has delivered. It's way more cinematic and urgent now. Including a guest appearance by Babylon 5's Andreas Katsulas as a Romulan!

I'll get to Discovery in about three years from now, give and take.

First two episodes are up. 'Stilted' is the word that comes to mind. I'm also surprised it's so serialised. I expect it will become less of both s-words as it goes on.

Hot Twitter Takes!:

👎
-theme tune?
-shonky Basil Exposition dialogue
-couldn't say hello to Jason Issacs
-not enough exec producers

👍
-theme tune w/out lyrics
-Michael Burnham
-Michelle Yeoh
-the crew
-Klingons & Kommentary

Not bad at all!...

It's dripping in JJverse, which is fine, although it would be nice to see a couple of shots not framed at 45 degrees.

On 20/09/2017 at 4:45 PM, Roderick said:

I'll get to Discovery in about three years from now, give and take.

Perfect timing - Star Trek law dictates it won't find its feet until Season 3 anyway 😉

I kind of like the theme tune, it's like a not-yet-formed version of other Trek themes, which fits well with the line design imagery. Though it moves away from that into sounding very much like Fringe, which is a bit distracting.

I watched the first episode. Good klingons and the episode got better as it went on. I like the science officer. They managed a bit of tension in the last scenes. I just hope it's not as serious all the way through. 

Later thoughts on the second episode: didn't like it half as much. All bluster, nothing much of interest, didn't feel like Star Trek. 

It's weird watching a new Trek show and thinking how much better these episodes are than Encounter at Waypoint FARPOINT or Emissary, and how completely irrelevant that is wrt if this show will survive or mature into something I like as much as those other shows.

2 hours ago, dium said:

how much better these episodes are than Encounter at Waypoint or Emissary

Weeeell, I'm not so sure about that...

Really? 

They're not great. But I could sit through them. They're watchable. 

I can only get through Encounter at Waypoint FARPOINT if I convince myself to think of it as camp, or if I'm watching it from an introspective – look at where all these characters came from – sorta way. It's only any good in hindsight, put into context of the great show it became, and otherwise it's just embarrassing. Really embarrassing.

Emissary actually isn't that bad and I could maybe walk back that statement wrt Emissary. But I'm thinking more in terms of other early DS9 episodes, where several of the characters/performances I actively dislike before they eventually become my favorites.

That said I probably should watch ep 2 of the new show before making these kinds of statements; I have not.

Ah. Yeah you should watch ep 2. I was counting them as one. I don't think it will 180 your opinion, but you may walk it back a little further!