clyde

Intoxicated:

Sorry about your bad taste bud luck and poor choices. :(

Posting on a page where someone doesn't like BREAD. Craziness abounds.

^^^^ have you ever tried any of the gluten-free beers? My cousin was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, but drinks gluten free beers sometimes. I can't really comment on them too much, just curious.

I've tried two different ones, and in both cases I found them drinkable, but not enjoyable.  I'd rather just something else.  Wheat beer is what finally got me to look into whether or not I had a gluten/wheat intolerance.  I'd have a few, and bloat up like a beach ball.  My wife finally pointed out that it really wasn't normal to have that reaction to a few beers.  To me it was just normal, as that's the reaction I had been having for years.

I live in the West, which means I primarily drink whiskies and beers. I like both a lot, but am very particular about them until I've had enough to no longer care about drinking good things. I only just last month found a rye that I actually like, and still have yet to find a bourbon. Scotch and Irish though? Yes fucking please.

The varied whisky family is something I know I could get into if I drank enough of it, but I don't buy it and don't run into it often enough to get used to it. Taste of, for example, Scotch is good, but it's strong.

I've tried two different ones, and in both cases I found them drinkable, but not enjoyable.  I'd rather just something else.  Wheat beer is what finally got me to look into whether or not I had a gluten/wheat intolerance.  I'd have a few, and bloat up like a beach ball.  My wife finally pointed out that it really wasn't normal to have that reaction to a few beers.  To me it was just normal, as that's the reaction I had been having for years.

I hear you. Last two times I couldn't sleep for half the night were the last two times I had a whisky. That's a bit of an annoyance and really the opposite of what you'd normally expect.

It was my birthday last week and I got 4 bottles of whisky as presents :)

I'm not an expert by any means (in fact I know next to nothing). I only really got into whisky these last couple of years. The problem I had is that the only whisky I ever drank growing up was Jack Daniels which is absolute piss

My new fav is the Johnnie walker red label

Oh man, congrats. Whisk(e)y is always something that I feel demands my attention, but then when I get to it it's just "Maker's Mark is the thing we have". And it's a fine drink, it's just not special or particularly interesting as they go.

Learned today that I am perfectly fine nursing Stella Artois for an entire afternoon. If it's 80' and there's a ballgame on with good conversation, I don't need something bold or complex to make the drinks work. Cold, crispy Stellas are everything Ray Smuckles thinks they are sometimes.

Jameson is my go to whiskey, though if I'm in the mood to splurge I quite like Bushmills Black. 

I'm not sure if you've given this one a try, but I'd recommend Lakefront Brewery's New Grist if you can find it. I always look forward to evangelizing my favorite hometown brewery.

EDIT: If you have tried it and didn't enjoy it, I'll admit I haven't had one in a few years. I just know their other beers I've had more frequently are among my favorites.

My overall favourite whisky is probably Lagavulin. I love Laphroaig too but I have to be in the mood for it.

At the sweeter end of the spectrum I've greatly enjoyed Highland Park and the Balvenie.

Of the Irish I've tried Connemara and Bushmills were probably my favourite.

At the farmer's markets around here, one of the smaller wineries here does a hopped hard apple cider that I really love and is gluten free. If one of your local places brews something like that, I'd highly recommend trying it.

At the farmer's markets around here, one of the smaller wineries here does a hopped hard apple cider that I really love and is gluten free. If one of your local places brews something like that, I'd highly recommend trying it.

I love ciders, I did even before dropping beer.  It's what I keep in the fridge at home.  Bars are getting better about having ciders, but there are still plenty that don't have any, or a really poor selection.

My preference is Strongbow on tap or in a bottle (not in a can, it's just not right in a can).  I've only ever seen the original Strongbow in the states, but I understand there are a bunch of varieties in Europe and Australia.  This makes me sad.

I love ciders, I did even before dropping beer.  It's what I keep in the fridge at home.  Bars are getting better about having ciders, but there are still plenty that don't have any, or a really poor selection.

My preference is Strongbow on tap or in a bottle (not in a can, it's just not right in a can).  I've only ever seen the original Strongbow in the states, but I understand there are a bunch of varieties in Europe and Australia.  This makes me sad.

I hate that Strongbow gets guff for being "just a cider". Beer can be such a mixed bag, but there's never a time when I wouldn't like a Strongbow tallboy.

Yeah, Strongbow is great for the summer. There's also a local place in Calgary that makes one called Rock Creek which is pretty good.

Osmosisch, Lagavulin is an awesome Scotch, but I likewise find I need to be in a mood for it. I can always, ALWAYS drink Talisker though. Love that stuff. First thing I did when I started making a decent paycheque and found myself able to afford good stuff was stock up.

Talking about whisky, nobody knows what's good whisky. It's completely personal (just like wine).

My favorites, so far, are the Balvenie Double Wood, Oban 14, and sadly, The Glenlivet 18 (which is rather expensive).

When I drink whisky I usually try to start off with the Jim Murray method, which involves eithering drinking a black coffee (espresso) or high cacao chocolate to create a rather neutral baseline. After that comes the usual tasting. (I never water it down, that's wrong) The baseline is somewhat important, because it defines if a whisky is in your general area. A whisky can taste quite different if you have a different taste in your mouth. For example, I like the Oban 14 much more after I had a proper strong red meat (deer, boar, or steak).

I've been drinking whisky for about a year, and I'm still tasting around. It can be quite difficult to find your place, and also quite expensive (I limit myself to 1 bottle a month). When you're new I suggest you start of with affordable whiskys on this map: http://www.malts.com/index.php/en_gb/Choosing-Whisky/A-World-of-Flavour/The-Single-Malt-Whisky-Flavour-Map

(but small bottles) and see where your taste is. Once you've located your place you can ask your local liquor store for related whiskys (provided that they have a proper collection).

As I said earlier, I like Oban 14 quite a lot, even though it's on the other side of the map compared to the Balvenie Double Wood and Glenlivet 18, between it is the Singleton of Dufftown. I don't like that Singleton at all. The only way to know if you like a given whiskey is to try it (at least a few times).

ps, Highland Park also explains a good way to taste whisky:

My premise is that all malt is good whisky apart from some outliers like ridiculously young ones. But I mostly like stuff like Talisker and Laphroaig.

That video was brilliant, thanks!

I have no sense of smell which super sucks because i really enjoy my wine and whisky (and can taste it just fine thank you)

This weekend ya'll need to go down your local boozer and buy yourself a Talisker, Jura or Ardbeg. NO ICE! (although i actually quite like to crack it with one cube, but i've been told off in the past)

My premise is that all malt is good whisky apart from some outliers like ridiculously young ones. But I mostly like stuff like Talisker and Laphroaig.

Hey, don't turn your nose up at the blended stuff. A good blend is an art form, pairing and balancing flavours. I got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red for my birthday and its gorgeous stuff

http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/blended-whiskey-1010

i'd love to try some of this

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/post/Caskstrength-and-Carry-On-3D-Whisky.aspx

These guys are going through the alphabet blending whiskys. Wow ive just read through that article and watched the videos and now i really want a bottle....

caskstrength-and-carry-on-3d-whisky-1-1. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wait there's still hope: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/caskstrength/caskstrength-and-carry-on-3d-whisky/

I prefer highland scotches (specifically Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban) to islay scotches (such as Laphroaig) as there's less of a bitter smoke tinge. I also perfer my scotch with one ice cube (sized a cubic inch or so,) allowed to melt about 1/2 way.

I'm pretty happy with my current collection, got something for most of my moods. The Maker's Mark was a gift, I don't care for bourbon at all.

dIKRHOr.jpg

e: damn, that's blurry.

From left to right:

Monkey Shoulder, Jura, Cardhu, Laphroaig quarter cask, Highland Park, Glenmoray Lagavulin 16, MM, Laphroaig 10y, Connemara, GlenMoray, Balvenie doublewood, BenRiadh, MacNamara.

Not all excellent quality but sometimes one doesn't care.

So, pre-intoxicated, but I have a full night of no work to do, a girlfriend busy at the campus paper for the night, and a whole lot of beer, and i was feeling like getting into minecraft again after a long time away, and since I sat down to begin right as my podcast manager started to download the new idle thumbs (completely, apropos of nothing, but I use mediamonkey as an iTunes replacement, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.), I named the new map "Motherfucking video games", and left to grab a beer while it loaded. I came back to discover I had spawned over water in a jungle river, and was just in time to see my last half-heart blip away. I can't help but think mediamonkey knows idle thumbs as well as I do, and intentionally caused me to drown in a far cry 2-esque jungle as a welcome back to motherfucking video games.

I burned myself out on whisky drinking a lot of jack daniels either straight or in coke (or, I'm the worst, in monster energy drinks. The sour completely kills the alcohol, and in one of those twist of cap cans, monster smells so foul you can't tell it has alcohol in it. Ahhhh, good times?) early on, and I just can't stand the taste anymore. I do still love the smell of it though. Honestly my favorite part anyway. The look and the smell. Like coffee. This managed to make it to intoxicated by the end.

Hey, don't turn your nose up at the blended stuff. A good blend is an art form, pairing and balancing flavours. I got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red for my birthday and its gorgeous stuff

http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/blended-whiskey-1010

i'd love to try some of this

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/post/Caskstrength-and-Carry-On-3D-Whisky.aspx

These guys are going through the alphabet blending whiskys. Wow ive just read through that article and watched the videos and now i really want a bottle....

caskstrength-and-carry-on-3d-whisky-1-1. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wait there's still hope: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/caskstrength/caskstrength-and-carry-on-3d-whisky/

I've heard that, but my experience of blends does not agree with that statement. The taste of grain whisky always comes through in my experience. I still drink blended whiskies, but only because I can't afford malts these days. I'll drink bourbon and rye whiskey as well, but nothing compares to the experience of a malt whisky I like.

From left to right:

Monkey Shoulder, Jura, Cardhu, Laphroaig quarter cask, Highland Park, Glenmoray Lagavulin 16, MM, Laphroaig 10y, Connemara, GlenMoray, Balvenie doublewood, BenRiadh, MacNamara.

Not all excellent quality but sometimes one doesn't care.

Hmm, I don't think I've had a GlenMoray before