Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I got impatient, the shopkeeper didn't kill himself fast enough.

Nice moves.That could have happened to me. I suck at throwing things and hitting myself.

I finished Olmec off the slow way, but I did have three spare bombs to make it a little easier. Went into hell with 4 bombs, no shotgun (Olmec squished) and cack in my pants. However, the first level was pretty easy and the shopkeeper was already dead. Ultimately made it to the level before Yama, the furthest I've ever been in Spelunky. Gutted that I was so close when I died.

Had an extremely close call in the jungle, I overlooked the tikitrap right in front of me. I died in the icecaves because I failed to clear the mine blast

This is the run from the 11th, since I do them like, an hour before the end of the day. I'm pretty happy with the results, even though it took like 40 minutes to get to where I did. There's a moment where I say "I really want a cape" and then Kali grants me one like, ten seconds later. It's weird, since in Chris' run, Kali gave him paste earlier. I wonder how that's determined. 

Kali has a certain set of items she'll give you and she won't give you one you already have, so if you already had the paste you won't get it again.  If you have all the giftable items, she gives you a jet pack.  If you have that too, then you get a big bomb box.  I think the item gifted each time is randomized within the pool of remaining items.

That's great! I appreciate that information. It's really interesting how many things in the game you slowly learn, frustratingly. In this run above, I learn about the wacky behavior of those little vampire kids. I'm glad that the punishment for failure, while severe, never feels mean. I've watched some Dark Souls, and it seems like the punishment is Over the Top. Spelunky is hard, but it's always just something where I can hope in another game.

I never know how far I can go with bombs near shops. I guess this was a bit too far.

After what felt like a pretty long slump, I reached a new personal best score. This kept me up until 4am, and man did it take youtube a long time to process.

I had my most amazing run ever tonight. I feel that this is the most appropriate way to summarize it.

i64uLic.png

Here I am before entering the mothership and subsequently dying:

SjVZueX.jpg

Pretty tough seed today, I thought. Went into the black market with only two bombs to my name, so I quickly nabbed a shotgun and shot my way through. Very few bombs to be had there, so by the time I'd reached the end of the ice-caves I was all out (although doing quite well for money). Anubis proved tricky in the temple, but i eventually baited a sliding block into crushing him, which also crushed my chances at getting into the city of gold. Still, I persevered, dodging traps like my life depended on it, 'cos it did, and reached Olmec. Finally the game started paying out some bombs and made victory over him a cakewalk. Wish I'd recorded it!

I was having a good run. I was in the mothership with the plasma cannon with most of the level clear. And then I just misjudged a platform and plummeted into the ghost.

All those ropes, and no bombs. I don't know how I would have been able to get rid of the shopkeepers in the temple.