Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I haven't recorded in a long while, but I have been keeping up with the dailies. After ballsing up yesterday's run on 1-1, I COMPLETED A HELL RUN ON TODAY'S! I've made it a few other times during non-dailies, but man, it feels good to do it during the challenge.

Also, I had two or three close calls on Hell-2 (5-2?) because there was one area just filled with spikes and vampires.

I also robbed that shopkeeper for the jetpack. I destroyed the altar on 1-3 on purpose and then picked up the idol on 1-4 without thinking about it. The boulder destroyed a second altar for me rewarding me with a ball and chain. The last half hour of my attempt is basically me carrying the ball and chain around in 2-1 trying to very slowing make things happen.

Edit: err, I guess that's not the whole video. Twitch has failed me, I need to re-export it. 

Edit2: posted new video, but it'll probably take a couple hours for youtube to process it.

I have never made it to the city of gold.  Last night I reached the Golden Door.  I possessed the Hedjet.  I had the scepter.  Strapped to me were two dozen bombs, a jetpack and a bunch of other goodies.  My health was fine. It had been the best run I ever had.  Then I spotted a crate towards the bottom of the screen.  No problem I thought, I'll drop the scepter, grab that and experience the wonder of the city of gold!  I missed seeing the Mario block. 

As my crumpled body lay on the floor, the corner of the golden door was in sight on the screen.  So close, but forever closed.

Screwed up again and lost the ankh, I thought the 2nd row of shops was clear. In the ice caves I threw away my shotgun twice (second time I didn't lose it). So I got lucky there.

I didn't get lucky in the temple, a mummy pinned me down. I never messed around with mummies so close, so I didn't know that part was unsafe.

I ballsed up today's run when I went in the mothership to show my girlfriend how hostile a place it can be. Today it was particularly bad, with an abundance of moving platforms and a quite a lot of ufos to contend with amongst them. I didn't have a bad score by that point though, so wasn't too miffed. 

Your dedication to ghosting is [...] completely insane.

Ghost juking is definitely my biggest weakness though. I panic and start making really stupid decisions. I admire your calm.

Despite the FPS problems I'm having since the new patch, I did manage to beat Yama in today's daily. It was the third time total, and the second time I did it in a daily. Also, thanks to the rubies in the last level, plus the bonus for beating the game, I managed to get the 500k gold achievement. Huzzah!

I didn't see that thwomp even a little bit. I probably should have died at the start of the black market so everything else was just gravy I guess.