Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I completely missed the eye, I have no idea where it could have been. I died in 2-1 because I screwed up too much.

Well, I made it out of the mines for once... and went on to break a million for my 4th time in a daily challenge. Big swings.

There was a glitch in the ice caves where I jumped toward a falling platform that was already falling, it fell past me but my guy was hanging in mid air like I was hanging off a ledge. It happens at 27:40ish.

I missed the eye too; didn't get a sniff of the key or the chest all the way through the level. Still, I eventually stumbled across the entrance to the black market by chance (I didn't think it showed up at all if you didn't have the eye), and went all the way to the temple with the hedjet. Eventually panicked with the scepter and managed to vaporise my brains. A very disappointing end to a promising run.

I beat Yama and was pumped to see my name up there on the leaderboard only to see hammerpants ruin my day with his million dollar baloney (kidding...nice job dude). I nearly missed the key myself, only to go back at the last minute and find it (bottom left of 1-2).

I beat Yama and was pumped to see my name up there on the leaderboard only to see hammerpants ruin my day with his million dollar baloney (kidding...nice job dude). I nearly missed the key myself, only to go back at the last minute and find it (bottom left of 1-2).

I still dislike that the leaderboard for Spelunky is solely based on score.  I mean, I get why, but that doesn't mean I don't wish there were other types of leaderboards.  Even since the days of arcades and Mario, I've never cared about getting a high score so I just can't bring myself to care in Spelunky.  I'd prefer it if the leaderboard also tracked time or had a way of sorting by furthest level instead of purely score.

why stop at time, why not track least number of jumps, least number of lost HP, least steps take, time, etc.

in the end, everybody can be a winner

I didn't find the udjat eye, stumbled on the entrance to the black market, as well, and then beat Yama:

I don't know why my cam is all scrunched up. Oh well! 

Wanted to make sure I didn't miss the eye, but positioned myself rather stupid so I couldn't escape the ghost.

Fucked up today in the black market, but defo feeling what SecretAsianMan is saying about the ranking being based solely on cash held when you die/win. I think it's very impressive the way hammerpants ghosts most of the early levels and ekes out every bit of gold he can, but I don't have the patience to play that way :(

I have occasionally gotten a seed that had no way through except bombing, but only in the mines and never in the city of gold.  I notice you have no bombs too.  That sucks.

Yeah, this was a buddy of mine who just had to sit there and let the ghost take him away. 

Yeah, I feel like maybe the ranking should be progress first, then score as the tiebreaker, but it's no big deal...really I just use the leaderboard to see how everyone else did.

Here's a lesson on the dangers of the plasma cannon (when used by an idiot)

Aaaaaand I'm back to being terrible.

Any particular reason you didn't use a bomb?  There have been a couple of your deaths to shopkeepers where you had plenty of bombs, but chose a riskier method to deal with them. 

Not fair. He should have been hit.

I've never seen someone functionally killed by a mouse in Spelunky before. Fucking everything can kill you in Spelunky.

I generally prefer to save bombs for maximizing score, and generally die early as a result. But sometimes I get a good score.

Edit: To explain that a bit more, I'm pretty aware of all the strategies used for maximizing resource conservation. And because I know it *can* be done, most of the time I feel like I should try.

This is perhaps the most disappointing way I've had to end a run in a while. I'd welcome any olmec tips such that I don't get stuck in this situation again.

I generally prefer to save bombs for maximizing score, and generally die early as a result. But sometimes I get a good score.

Edit: To explain that a bit more, I'm pretty aware of all the strategies used for maximizing resource conservation. And because I know it *can* be done, most of the time I feel like I should try.

That makes sense.  I watch the ends of a lot of these runs (the deaths amuse me), and it seemed like that had happened a few times lately. 

This is perhaps the most disappointing way I've had to end a run in a while. I'd welcome any olmec tips such that I don't get stuck in this situation again.

So rather than riding olmec's head into hole you created, if you had teetered on the edge of the hole as olmec approached he would have stomped and broken the last block.

That corner of the jungle was bad news

And in my brain I was like, I'll just throw this scepter over there so it's out of the way. Derp.