Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

That is GOOD TO KNOW. I finally beat Yama for the first time on Saturday, and it felt real good. Yama can be real insanity. I wish that I could like, get to hell more consistently since I need hell practice.

Bad timing in the black market killed me, I didn't want to wait for the other shopkeepers to get into the ankh pit

ALSO, is there any reason that Chris (and elmuerte above) clears the left side of the black market before angering the shopkeepers in lieu of the right side of the black market? I've had a lot of success clearing the right side recently. It seems to just be a smaller area to kill everyone, and it puts all the shopkeepers together so a bomb does more damage to more of them. 

There's also the added chance that you dig an easier exit on the right. When you don't have a jetpack the lower level could be quite difficult if you also have to take care of the ghost.

The left side usually don't have as many enemies as the right side does.  Also the entrance has a large open space that makes it easier to get the shopkeepers to jump down below.  Getting as many of the shopkeepers as possible to the bottom level makes it easier to avoid them entirely by bombing through the ankh shop to the exit if you want.  Chris likes to clear enough of the side to ensure that the shopkeepers will jump all the way down, while I usually only clear one level's worth.  A smaller area does mean a bomb can potentially do more damage, but it also means tighter quarters which can be very dangerous with the shopkeepers.  Ultimately though, I think it's a matter of preference.

Also, this is my 1000th (counted) post.

Oh my god, I beat Olmec for the first time today.

It was so surreal. I had begun the temple world with just two health, no shotgun,and jetpack on my back. I managed to dodge and swerve every trap in there. I was always so close to almost dying. I managed to kill both Anubis bosses WITHOUT PASTE. I had to literally plant the bomb down, grab it, and throw it, and I couldn't fucking believe I managed to do it. Killing the second Anubis was so surreal, I was swerving by gold tiki traps, and lured him into getting stabbed by a gold tiki trap.

Then came fighting Olmec. Oh boy. I did what I've learned from Chris' streams and began looting the area. Then, I did something very stupid, but something that made this fucking achievement more awesome. I just started planting bombs willy-nilly, to the point that I had just two bombs left. I managed to lure Olmec to fall into the gap I made...but THERE WERE TO LOOSE BLOCKS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAP. 

I was stunned, and with two bombs and two health, I was ready to accept my fate and just kill myself...but I didn't. A fucking surge of adrenaline went through my mind, and I fucking swerved down on to the loose block on the right. I planted the bomb perfectly on it and instantly zoomed off. Olmec was literally fucking INCHES away of squishing me. Just as I grabbed a hold of the rope I had left on the right of the gap, Olmec slammed down behind me, triggering the bomb and plunging him to his doom.

The Aftermath:

qN7psX1.jpg

I was stunned as to what I did. I couldn't believe it. I then remembered I had grabbed the ahnk. But considering my low health, and my lone bomb, I decided to leave Hell for another run and ran to the exit.

And I fucking did it. After 1636 deaths, I did it.

PLsm2Jn.jpg

Now that I finally (technically) finished the game, I feel I can now truly express my thoughts on the game: Simply amazing, perhaps one of the best games I've ever played and will continue playing. I can't think of any other game that has helped create such an amazing, triumphant, and suspenseful moment. A moment I shall never forget. 

LVfy9Ny.jpg

Today was my best Daily Challenge Ever. I beat Yama!

Edit: Also, congrats, Cine! That's awesome!

Based on your screenshot, I don't think you could have gotten into the door to hell anyway.  It looks like the spot where Olmec fell into the lava is maybe too far from the doorway for you to go in.  Regardless, congrats Cine.

Oh my god, I beat Olmec for the first time today.

Nice, congrats!  And you already have the skill to get the Necronomicon, you'll be on your way to Hell in no time.

I did this thing where I climbed to the top of a ladder and tried to drop down and got caught on the ladder platform. I know I've made this mistake before. I'll probably make this mistake again.

Failed to clear the ghost in 1-4 while trying to get the key. I could have made that jump.

Everything gold looks the same, stupid tikitrap :/

I just might be past the bottom of my Spelunky Performance sine wave again. It's been a while, but I managed to beat Yama in today's Daily. A week back I couldn't even reach the ice caves. It is weird how my (and probably some other people's as well) performance seems to fluctuate. And acknowledgeing it probably only makes the effect stronger.

Called it! Although I though I would last at least a bit longer than this