Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

Haha, amazing. You have to fire and then get clear... don't stay in the same area they are, you should have backed up toward the entrance and strafed up and down so they couldn't hit you with their fire.

Honestly, I'm used to the shopkeepers already being aggro by the time I get to the black market. I'm not used to having to start shit while I'm already there.

So... I found my mic. It's only appropriate that I have my dumbest run in a long time today.

Hi, this is my first post here so be gentle! I'm really enjoying Spelunky recently, but I'm still not very good at it (

) and I would really like some more people to be thrashed by in the daily challenge. My steam ID, as far as I can tell, is lesalanos. Don't ask.

I beat hell for the first time! Not in the daily, but still. I did it! I spelunkied!

Congrats. Good luck on your eggplant run.

(watch out for a very near spike miss!)

I said "Careful!" out loud, and then you went down and argghhhhh, that was close.

I beat 1-1 \o/ And died on 1-3, around the same location as Jon. I'm such an idiot.

I didn't do as badly as I thought I would! I got lucky with the boulder in 1-2 not enraging any shopkeeps, then made terrible decisions and/or mechanical fuckups in every level from that point on.

My headset mic may never work with bootcamp, but I noticed tonight that I tend to play very quietly apart from the odd swear anyway.

I liked recording with a mic, after I got over the nervousness hump. Reminded me of when I used to do podcasting.

I've played every daily challenge since starting a few weeks ago, but none of my current Steam friends owns Spelunky! So if anyone wants another challenger, add me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lachlancooper/

I haven't been recording my runs, but I'd like to start if I can get it working. (This is complicated by playing on a Mac through Wine, which works totally fine in game, but the Retina display seems to mess with recording software).

Added! Good luck getting over the retina scaling in OS X; it constantly fucks up screenshots for me. OBS seems to work fine in Bootcamp though, apart from the lack of drivers for headset mics.

Is that your real name or/and a Twin Peaks reference?

Added! Good luck getting over the retina scaling in OS X; it constantly fucks up screenshots for me. OBS seems to work fine in Bootcamp though, apart from the lack of drivers for headset mics.

Cool! I don't think I'll bother with Bootcamp; I use this machine for too much to bother rebooting just to play specific games. It's been kinda nice not having to use Windows at all, while overseas away from my main gaming PC.

Is that your real name or/and a Twin Peaks reference?

I, uh... I've never watched Twin Peaks. -_-

yeah... so... is it a reference to Twin Peaks?

Like, Agent Cooper, played by Kyle MacLachlan? Hey, he's the mayor in Portlandia!

Nah, it's my real name.

Twin Peaks fan parents? :) (sorry)

I kinda get you on bootcamp. An SSD has made rebooting fast enough that I'm happy jumping between OSes, but with a decent hard disk in my last laptop, I never did it unless I really had to.

Back in the saddle and dying on spikes. It's like I never left.

Funnily enough, the only recording I've made on the new computer was a weird downsized 240p box with huge black borders. So I'll have to sort that out.

Watching one of the videos here, I discovered I could walk past the spikes. A life of not being able to touch anything pointy in platformers programmed me to assume otherwise, so I never tried.

A couple of days late but this is my comeback run... not sure why I decided to try and get in an angry shopkeeper's face.

Watching one of the videos here, I discovered I could walk past the spikes. A life of not being able to touch anything pointy in platformers programmed me to assume otherwise, so I never tried.

I had this revelation early on... I think I was watching Killingsworth or someone and they just walked through them. My mind was blown.

WHAT JUST I DONT EVEN AHHHH

That was amazing. Beware the TNT boxes! Even the smallest speck of blood or rock can set them off, even diagonally as you found out.

Oh my god, today's challenge. I've never died on 1-1 in a daily before. hammerpants, I'm so glad I didn't watch your video before doing exactly the same thing on my run. From his score I bet Nachimir did too.

I'd love to see more aggregate stats from the dailies, like totals for each cause of death. Something like Trackmania's 1K project or Super Meat Boy's replays showing everyone's attempts simultaneously would be incredible.

After watching some other dailies, I'm wondering something about the shopkeepers in the vaults.  At the end of 1-2 there's a vault where one of the wall elements is a pushable block.  Is it possible to enter the vault by pushing the push block without agroing the shopkeeper? Or will he instantly agro when you enter the vault?