Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I had a rather boring disinterested run today, not even going to bother posting the video. Didn't get far, didn't die in any spectacular way. Just boring.

I had a rather boring disinterested run today, not even going to bother posting the video. Didn't get far, didn't die in any spectacular way. Just boring.

Was it boring to play? or just boring to watch?

both... not much interesting happened, and died by getting hit too much

I just wondered how I'd be at Spelunky while drunk, and got further into the jungle than I usually can. So, totally psyched for the daily, I bounced off the first bat into this. It's so bad I'm almost proud of it. Like, on most runs I couldn't die any faster if I was trying to.

I lost all my skills or something. Made way too many rookie mistakes in the first two levels. In the third level I was too slow to sacrifice a caveman.

OBS crashed so this is missing the last 20 seconds or so.  I run away from the bees, try to throw a bomb at the queen bee, but it's intercepted by one of her minions and it runs me down and blows me up.

I forgot how to spelunky :/

So I did some practise runs after I fucked up the daily challenge. I managed to get to the ice caves (using the jungle shortcut) for the first time \o/ Did manage to find the exit though, I guess you really need a compass in the ice caves.

Just after I wrote that I did another practice run and managed to get to the second ice level, and this time I didn't take the shortcut.

I guess you really need a compass in the ice caves.

Oh yeah, I think it's more vital than spike shoes. If you don't have a compass, having a cape and climbing gloves combo works too, because if you reach the bottom and you're on the wrong side, you can climb up the wall and glide back to the other side.

I don't have a video for today because I made the mistake of finally allowing Windows to install updates for the first time ever, so msiexec.exe was constantly thrashing my disk as I was playing, causing OBS to drop too many frames for the video to be usable. Then I got distracted by that and got killed by a scorpion or something on 1-3. It was a shitty run in all respects.

Come to think of it, the video I'm getting out of OBS always seems to end up looking a bit stuttery compared to everybody else's videos/what it looks like when I'm actually playing the game (even when it says it's not dropping any frames). Anybody have any encoding tips? I'm using a bitrate of 2000 and running at 1920x1200 downscaled to 1280x800 at 30 fps. I tried lowering the bitrate to 1000 to see if that would make it smoother, but it didn't. Is this just a "get a better computer" situation?

So, I haven't been posting these, so here is an amazing death montage extravaganza!

Come to think of it, the video I'm getting out of OBS always seems to end up looking a bit stuttery compared to everybody else's videos/what it looks like when I'm actually playing the game (even when it says it's not dropping any frames). Anybody have any encoding tips? I'm using a bitrate of 2000 and running at 1920x1200 downscaled to 1280x800 at 30 fps. I tried lowering the bitrate to 1000 to see if that would make it smoother, but it didn't. Is this just a "get a better computer" situation?

I record at 1280x720, 30 fps, 1k bitrate. Haven't really messed with the settings to see if I can go higher.

I'm not having a good Spelunky day. I could tell as soon as I started to go back for the mattock that this was a bad idea.

First video. Watch me lose all my health to easy enemies and then leap to my death for no reason at all. I turned off the background music to maximize the awkwardness.

http://youtu.be/W1HjUXo0hrc

Practice has helped. Although I still carelessly prepared my own death. While planning to pick up the idot I forgot that I put a spider close to me.

I really handled today's dark level poorly.

SOLIDARITY:

In other news, I got OBS working. Maybe next time I'll find my good recording mic and give that a try. Who knows, I may go wild and find my webcam and work that in. But for now, watch a few minutes of poor Spelunky play. I'm so out of practice.