Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I did quite a bit better today. Reached the jungle again (rather that dieing on 1-1). But for some reason I though it was a good idea to walk into a man eating plant.

Today was just nutty and it was mostly my fault. First I failed killing the first shopkeeper with the jumping trick and the items in his shop were definitely not worth it. I tried to kill him by grabbing the idol but the boulder miraculously went around him so I just had to run for the exit while he was stuck on the floor above. Fortunately aggroing that shopkeeper paid off because on the next floor there was a great shop with a jetpack and I would've had to go through it anyway to get the Udjat Eye. Going into the jungle I was worried I wouldn't have enough bombs for the black market but was able to spend my second to last bomb to get three more bombs from a crate. The black market itself was amazingly smooth and due to the shopkeeper placement I was lucky enough to kill most of them without using bombs. And there were a ton of bombs in the black market anyway. Now heading out of the black market I'm feeling pretty good about this run, but then disaster strikes. I see Monty the dog damsel underneath an altar and I try to carefully bomb around the altar but of course one tile of the altar is just within the bomb radius and poof out come a ton of spiders taking me to one health. I start sacrificing anyway to try and regain favor with Kali. Unfortunately I make another mistake trying to kill a Tiki Man and jump a pixel too far forward and land on his boomerang, killing me and triggering the Ankh. Dejected I go through the rest of the jungle and on to the ice caves. Here I say screw it and just start ghosting every gem possible trying to maximize my score. I even come across an altar and manage to sacrifice enough yetis to get a Kapala. Again I start to feel pretty good about this run. That's when I make my final mistake, similar to how I took damage from the Tiki Man before, again I try to jump on a yeti and was just a pixel too far forward and he starts hurling and rebounding me into a wall until I die. Definitely one of my most eventful Spelunky runs.

In which I botch my first real attempt at a Hell run by panicking and wasting the Ankh. And before anyone asks, I didn't waste all the shopkeepers because it always goes poorly for me.

Also, EAT IT, BEES!

I was fucking around too much in 1-2, so I asked for this :)

Also, I didn't think a huge spider needed that many kicks to its head.

I have a working headset now. The only difference it makes is that you can occasionally hear me swear. I'm not as grumpy as I sound!

I'm not sure what my brain was doing, but it wasn't present in today's challenge

I think describing my performance in the Spelunky daily as "inconsistent at best", would be far too charitable.

This is almost EXACTLY what happened to me. I just fell into the spikes after the first hit. Also, another person on my Friends list had a score of $2000, so he almost certainly shared our cruel and spiky fate.

So, after four hours of rail travel with a friend, spent taking it in turns to entertain each other with Spelunky, there are some rules I'm holding myself to for now:

Rob every shop.

Teleporters are compulsory.

Today, I got off to a hamfisted start, things began to look promising in the darkest moment, then a single inept move ended it all:

Started off really roughly, and managed to get the Ankh, die on the right level, and even get the Staff! And then I kill myself when a bolt from the staff re-targets on me after I shoot it at a teleporting crocodile man. Which I chose to try to kill after finding the entrance to the City of Gold... Damn it.

What a weird seed today. The structure of the early levels felt really different to normal, lots of disconnected rooms.

I used up too many bombs early on to reach the eye, and resigned myself to ignoring hell gear, just being conservative with bombs and trying to save cash. Then a bomb frog randomly blew open the entrance to the black market anyway! I bought two bomb boxes there and carefully exploded a bomb frog well away from any shops, only for the shopkeeper on the bottom to aggro for no discernible reason, and blow me away just as I was about to buy his jetpack. Damn, with all that sweet kit I could probably have robbed the place without too much trouble.

I think this is the first daily I've played in the morning immediately after the rollover, which is at 1am here, before going to sleep. I think I'll avoid that in future, I probably play worse and it means I don't have my afternoon ritual to look forward to.

I set a high score for myself in today's daily.  Also, first time killing Ol' Bitey!  Also, first time getting the weird alien explody gun!  Also, first time killing myself with the weird alien explody gun!

Wasted a shit load of ropes in the snake pit. So I was extremely low on resources. I think my death was unfair.