Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I did quite well today, reached 2-4, almost made it to the ice caves, but a tiki trap got me.

WHAT JUST I DONT EVEN AHHHH

Same ¬¬

:)

Edit: I'm really glad I learned that mistake by making it, rather than by watching other dailies.

Edit edit: A programmer I live with reckons it's probably the whip crack setting it off in this case.

After watching some other dailies, I'm wondering something about the shopkeepers in the vaults.  At the end of 1-2 there's a vault where one of the wall elements is a pushable block.  Is it possible to enter the vault by pushing the push block without agroing the shopkeeper? Or will he instantly agro when you enter the vault?

I imagine he will instantly aggro, because he's already pacing with his shotgun the same way shopkeepers are in their shops after you've killed one.

Despite his head being above water, he was technically "in the water" and there's no stomping on anything while you're in the water.

Yesterday's challenge:

Really working on fine-tuning this thing, unsatisfied by video quality and background noise on my mic. Hopefully today's video will be better.

I was doing really well. But then I became careless and ran into a tiki trap when I retrieved the idol. (video should be ready about 12 minutes after this post)

I made it to Hell for the first time. Psyched. This game just keeps on giving.

Me too! Yesterday was my worst ever daily, today was my best. Weird.

So much went right today. I had just enough cash to afford the ankh so I didn't rob the black market (which usually gets me killed). I screwed up once in the ice caves and got thrown into the abyss by a yeti, only to learn that that counts as dying, and thus got resurrected inside the statue! I'd always been careful in the past to kill myself on spikes or with a bomb on that level.

I didn't rob any shops right up until 4-2, where I pissed off a bomb shopkeeper by blowing up a tiki trap right next to the golden door. Since I was holding the staff anyway, I killed that one shopkeeper then immediately unlocked the door to avoid the temptation to use it again and most likely kill myself.

In hell I managed to kill Vlad and his four minions, only to die to a fucking tiki trap trying to get out of his castle. Ah well, I was nearly out of bombs and probably about to die anyway.

That's fantastic Laco. I remember that situation with the door and the shopkeeper.

So, any hot tips to get rid of shopkeepers? I finally managed to flay one with a machete, but that was the only time I managed to kill one. I need a shotgun for the tunnel man, so... yeah, it's an amazing quest.

So, any hot tips to get rid of shopkeepers? I finally managed to flay one with a machete, but that was the only time I managed to kill one. I need a shotgun for the tunnel man, so... yeah, it's an amazing quest.

Another option:

Dig up Ash's grave in the jungle

Shopkeeper tend to follow you, vertically or horizontally, even if you have a wall between you. A good way to easily kill one is to lead a shopkeeper towards an unactivated trap for a suicide. Another good way to easily kill one is to pick up a weapon in their own shop (rare item seller) and immediately kill them with it. You can easily do this with a shotgun, freeze ray, catcher's mitt + glue, or teleporter (well, if you call teleporting easy).

Sometimes, you'll find a shotgun for sale (16,000 IIRC).

The only times I've got away with aggroing shopkeepers it was due to spikes, or staying above them and expending a bunch of bombs before getting a decent hit.

Doug Wilson has an interesting method for the black market: Excavate the sides with bombs first, aggro, then stay high as they all filter into the pit you've made. Bomb most of them at once.

Man, what a crazy run. I screwed up early on, wasting all my bombs and ropes and accidentally angering a shopkeeper, only to make it all the way to Olmec by the skin of my teeth. So of course, it's the run where I decided I was too tired to record my voice and just decided to play a podcast in the background instead. 

I did terribly today, though the last minute is fun to watch. I was panicking like a motherfucker trying to get on that rope, then didn't see the next thing I ran under until it was too late. Apologies for cruddy sound, I didn't realise I'd set it to use the external mic. 

It was going so well... until I misjumped and landed in spike traps

Quickly did today's daily, didn't record because I didn't have much time and it was noisy here, and I wish I'd recorded it. Nothing crazy insane, but it was eventful. On 1-3, I think, I took the idol and the boulder upset Kali. That and an accidental attack on the shopkeeper the level earlier made that level a lot of fun. I ended up stunning a shopkeeper by the exit of 1-4 with my whip in desperation, then picking up the shotgun and taking him out. I died in a shootout by a jungle exit. Ah well. This game!