Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

Today I learned

that the Giant Alien head can ricochet your bullets back at you.

I had no idea.

Ugh.. didn't even clear 1-1. But I did have more gold in the end than Patrick :)

I've never actually beat Olmec standard, I should get around to doing that. I've been to hell a few times already, so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard (especially if I don't worry about reaching the City of Gold or anything).

I had slightly better luck than you did, but the black market proved too tempting (read: my wallet too empty) and I was too out of practice to handle the resultant shopkeeper cabal -

Third time in the ice caves for me! If you guys would post about how hard something is every day, I'd probably play a lot better as a result.

I was sad that in my warm-up run, I found my first Spelunky "bug." Trying to climb a ladder, if it in any way intersects with even a pixel of one of those big boulders, counts as a hit by said boulder, even if it's no longer moving. Lost my last hitpoint trying to climb up a ladder like that.

So, I haven't been posting these, so here is an amazing death montage extravaganza!

I enjoyed this! I'll start recording these soon. The other day, I managed to die by getting hit by something, then my stunned character landing on an altar. Just as I thought "Oh maybe this will be okay": "Kali accepts your sacrifice".

Yes, it was brutal. I didn't even clear 1-1 (again). I was at the end, and decided to get the damsel. But I forgot I didn't set off an unfortunately placed arrow trap which launched me into a spike trap.

It had the death trap from a couple weeks ago with that spike/arrow combo on 1-1, but other than that it wasn't too bad. I just made a dumb play while trying to kill all the shopkeepers in the black market.

There was also a gnarly piranha pool + tiki trap + jumping thing in the jungle that would have tripped me up if not the jetpack.

Haha, amazing. You have to fire and then get clear... don't stay in the same area they are, you should have backed up toward the entrance and strafed up and down so they couldn't hit you with their fire.

Something is wrong with my OBS settings and the video settings keep being screwed up. Gonna try and fix it today, but who knows. Anyway I tried to kill the shopkeepers at the black market, and the last one got me.

I bit the bullet and did my first thing in Spelunky today. I came fresh out of Hotline Miami (which was awesome), so it was kind of jarring. It didn't immediately click for me, but I'll doodle along until I get someplace and maybe it'll start to live in my mind.

I already dislike the music. It's not at all the mood fitting for underground adventures, and it grates very quickly.

Duplicate dailies? The possibilities... the data scientist in me is now assuming Derek Yu is performing some sort of elabourate social mouse-in-maze experiment.

The past few attempts I've had have been barely worth posting, but this was just crazy enough, Spelunky still surprises me (watch out for a very near spike miss!)

It had the death trap from a couple weeks ago with that spike/arrow combo on 1-1, but other than that it wasn't too bad. I just made a dumb play while trying to kill all the shopkeepers in the black market.

I nearly had a conniption when i saw it again!  Managed to navigate it this time:D Died in the black market on the vine jump at the end. i can't do them at all.

I nearly had a conniption when i saw it again!  Managed to navigate it this time:D Died in the black market on the vine jump at the end. i can't do them at all.

I also was quite upset. My first daily in forever as well. I used a rope to get past it and felt far, far too satisfied for myself. I learned!