tegan

Let's Draw Video Games

Awwww, that's the best. Thanks tegan!

Edit: You should totally post that in the latest episode thread too.

I totally forgot that I'm allowed to show off my Pokéstory Zine submission now.

CopVjTy.png

Super Mario Bros haunted house levels :3

The best one of all the Haunted House Levels games, imo.

I feel like this should be integrated into the background assets of a game. Just put the picture in a frame and put it in a room somewhere.

... a horror game probably.

I feel like this should be integrated into the background assets of a game. Just put the picture in a frame and put it in a room somewhere.

... a horror game probably.

Weirdly enough, I've been thinking a lot about the role of static traditional artwork in 3D games. It seems like technology is finally at a point where assets like framed art on a wall could actually be rendered in high enough resolution to do it justice. Then again, I'm a complete fucking freak for detail.

haha today's work in progress is probably a good enough example:

pink-transfer-oct29.jpg

Weirdly enough, I've been thinking a lot about the role of static traditional artwork in 3D games. It seems like technology is finally at a point where assets like framed art on a wall could actually be rendered in high enough resolution to do it justice. Then again, I'm a complete fucking freak for detail.

I was thinking about something similar a few days ago. I was reading about the psychology of collecting souvenirs and memorabilia. One study seemed to imply that objects serve us as a form of external memory. I like the idea of having rooms full of objects that evoke involuntary memories.

I just recently played Gone Home and so I had that on my mind. It makes me want a social-networking program that would allow me to snap pictures or make status updates, but then also choose the form they take. For instance, a picture could take the form of a painting on a wall, a book-cover on a shelf, or a page in a scrapbook on a coffee table. Then my [digital house] would populate with these items so that when I walk through it, I would experience involuntary memories and memory-chains.

An example would be that I might be reminded of that week that I was obsessed with researching the caduceus and the rod of Asclepius when I accidentally knock an umbrella-stand over. 

Playstation Home and Second Life lack the convenience I'm imagining and a reason to revisit (so that I can bump into stuff that evokes memories).

You can't both have 'an environment you navigate' and 'convenient'.

*wistfully thumbing through dusty old photo book populated entirely by screencaps of NPC's asses*

IIRC some of the paintings in Anor Londo in Dark Souls were plot relevant. I suppose it's handy that for games it's super easy to repurpose production concept art as diegetic portraiture.