tegan

Let's Draw Video Games

You can't both have 'an environment you navigate' and 'convenient'.

I was imagining that the environment is a pre-made template house. Users would just take photos with their phones and then decide whether or not it is a trophy or a lampshade. Then it would just be placed as a prop in the home in some predetermined way. So for instance, lamps start populating tables. Trophies fill a specific shelf. Then the user could go in and move stuff around if they chose. I don't know why anyone would ever go into their "home" though.

IIRC some of the paintings in Anor Londo in Dark Souls were plot relevant. I suppose it's handy that for games it's super easy to repurpose production concept art as diegetic portraiture.

Some of the paintings in Mario 64 were relevant too ;)

That is awesome Tegan. Are you working on anything else? Caus there is no way i'm buying anything that gross to hand on my wall!

I didn't realize it was a pokemon (because I'm dumb and didn't see the link at the bottom of your post)

holy crap is it really that huge in the pokemon world (EDIT: okay i guess not but that's okay this is better so i'm going to pretend it is)

i love the trees

holy crap is it really that huge in the pokemon world (EDIT: okay i guess not but that's okay this is better so i'm going to pretend it is)

Pokédex canon is all kinds of weird and nobody takes it seriously. Even the anime ignores it completely. Most Pokémon are listed as being much smaller than you'd expect (I'm taller than Charizard, for instance), weights never make any goddamned sense (Wailmer is, when you take its huge size into consideration, lighter than air), and innate characteristics are always cranked up to beyond the impossible (Magcargo is supposed to be hotter than the surface of the sun). I prefer to imagine that Regigigas, which is heavily implied to have been built by humans and used for things like moving continents around, would be much larger than the twelve feet it's supposed to be.

Pokédex canon is all kinds of weird and nobody takes it seriously. Even the anime ignores it completely. Most Pokémon are listed as being much smaller than you'd expect (I'm taller than Charizard, for instance), weights never make any goddamned sense (Wailmer is, when you take its huge size into consideration, lighter than air), and innate characteristics are always cranked up to beyond the impossible (Magcargo is supposed to be hotter than the surface of the sun). I prefer to imagine that Regigigas, which is heavily implied to have been built by humans and used for things like moving continents around, would be much larger than the twelve feet it's supposed to be.

My reasoning for the weird Pokedex entries was that I always thought it was the player character writing the entries (at least in earlier games, I thought it was?) so all of the exaggerations and heights and weights are approximations.

For instance, to a 10-year-old, I can imagine a kid burning his hand on Magcargo and then saying "Wow, this is hotter than THE SUN!"

I'm pretty happy with it too. It evokes the feeling of exasperative inductive reasoning in a world of creepy toys and recorded messages with english accents, for me. It's nice to be able to look at a picture and have all the feelings that you developed during an experience, rush back into you.

I just got Manga Studio 5 and an excellent brush pack, and to test it out, I sketched... something besides a video game.

DLB2VUV.png

Nice sketch Tegan. Seems like there's some nice varation in those lines, is that just a lot of brush setting tweaking or does Manga Studio work well with pressure sensitivity hardware? Also can it handle natural media effects like water colours etc?

Nice sketch Tegan. Seems like there's some nice varation in those lines, is that just a lot of brush setting tweaking or does Manga Studio work well with pressure sensitivity hardware? Also can it handle natural media effects like water colours etc?

It does pressure sensitivity really well; and yes, it can do watercolours, though I haven't fooled around with that yet. I'm actually mostly using this set of custom brushes, and there's a lot of brush tweaks available, so presumably someone could make a good watercolour brush set if it doesn't exist already.