Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Twig you are a master of making me feel bad.

:getmecoat

You know what: I will admit that I haven't sat down and watched through DBZ recently, although a few years ago I did do it with DB. So it is possible that I am still being covered by nostalgia-glasses and that it really might be as inferior as you are saying.I will concede on that point at least.

Thanks Twig!

No problem. Glad you agree with me!

I'm glad to see you two are getting along.

Now hold on. Wasn't it actually Gohan who defeated Cell, with the help of Goku (now dead)? That was such a beautiful climax, passing down the mantle from father to son. I didn't even watch the show anymore after Cell. I really liked the show, faults and all.

There is something that's always bothered me about the Buu saga in DragonballZ.

First, fat Buu is conjured up and he's all wacky and dangerous. Then, due to the heroic acts of Mister Satan, fat Buu decides he wants to be good and expels the bad part of himself who ends up taking form as a skinny, gray Buu. Then they fight and evil Buu turns fat Buu into a cookie and eats him. This makes evil Buu turn pink and get super strong. Then evil Buu absorbs various heroes and eventually ends up with Goku and Vegeta fighting their way through his innards. As they are freeing the other heroes from Buu's insides, they notice fat Buu and he ends up getting freed too. Then, instead of turning back into gray Buu he turns into kid Buu and he is now the most powerful being in the universe. That shit makes no sense

Also, how much fucking acid was Akira Toriyama consuming when he came up with this shit?

I never liked DBZ growing up, and if THAT is what I was missing, I'm glad I stuck with Spider-Man.

Now hold on. Wasn't it actually Gohan who defeated Cell, with the help of Goku (now dead)? That was such a beautiful climax, passing down the mantle from father to son. I didn't even watch the show anymore after Cell. I really liked the show, faults and all.

That's exactly why it should have ended with Cell.  Goku passes the mantle on to his son, end of story.  Instead, the story continues and once again Goku has to come back from the dead to fix everything because apparently everyone is useless without him.

As for shit not making sense (not that any of it does), the thing that always bugged me was Trunk's time traveling.  I liked Trunks, but his time travel makes no sense.  I can accept his future being an alternate timeline, but why does he go back to it every time instead of going to the future of the new timeline?  I mean after he gives Goku the pills, shouldn't he go to the future of that time instead of his original one?

I haven't seen DBZ Kai, but it sounds vastly superior to the original.

Have you seen the rather good "Bardock special" minimovie about what happened to planet Vegeta? It's a good accompaniment to the series.

Don't watch any of the other movies, they're rubbish, apart from maybe the first one with Garlic Jr. that ties directly into the start of the show.

(There's one film that features Hitler coming from hell, so that could be worth a look.)

I agree wholeheartedly. That climax with Gohan was the pinnacle of the series for me. It's embarrassing to admit but that moment where he loses it after Cell crushes Android 16's head almost brought me to tears. It was a beautiful moment.

Have you seen the rather good "Bardock special" minimovie about what happened to planet Vegeta? It's a good accompaniment to the series.

Don't watch any of the other movies, they're rubbish, apart from maybe the first one with Garlic Jr. that ties directly into the start of the show.

(There's one film that features Hitler coming from hell, so that could be worth a look.)

The Bardock special and Trunks specials were both really great in my opinion. I also really enjoyed The Dead Zone, Tree of Might, and the first Broly movie. Unfortunately, they ruined Broly's character with the two follow up movies. And the one that features Hitler coming back from hell was the 12th movie where Vegeta and Goku have to do the fusion dance to defeat Janemba in the afterlife. I thought that one was pretty enjoyable too if for no other reason than getting to see fat Gogeta bouncing around and farting.

I never liked DBZ growing up, and if THAT is what I was missing, I'm glad I stuck with Spider-Man.

Let's not go acting like superhero comics are any better! They're all shit! Just different kinds of shit!

----> Dedicated thread to talk about DBZ episodes.

Please god no

Just go to the anime thread. It'll provide a nice change from me, Twig, and Codicier gushing over KILL la KILL every goddamn week.

I was just getting ready to watch a Youtube video and the pre-roll commercial was a 2:30 add for "Executive Spray Tan Parties." I thought it might be a wierd joke, but I got about 45 seconds in and it seemed like it might be a real thing. I couldn't handle watching any more and hit the skip button after that.

Edit: Aha, it was a joke. For some reason I can't post a link here, but it should be easy enough to search for.

I bought a vegan brownie while I was out buying honey.  It is just as terrible as you'd imagine.  Ugh.

I bought a vegan brownie while I was out buying honey. It is just as terrible as you'd imagine. Ugh.

Welcome to my self imposed life. They're not that bad once you get used to them.

So I guess I'm relapsing on my commitment to not talk too much about nasty shit on these forums. I apologize in advance for what I'm about to write and just know that I hate myself for it.

Has anyone ever ate their own shit and enjoyed it? I would think that if my dog enjoyed it so much when I was younger that someone out there has a secret favorite entree.

Edit: As I clicked the post button I felt an immediate sense of regret. Maybe this should have gone in the intoxicated thread.

SIM cards make me irrationally angry.

I am now working for a call center for a cell phone company. I feel my hatred of SIM cards is now perfectly rational.

That's exactly why it should have ended with Cell.  Goku passes the mantle on to his son, end of story.  Instead, the story continues and once again Goku has to come back from the dead to fix everything because apparently everyone is useless without him.

Incidentally, this is the same reasoning I have behind thinking the Matrix should have ended at the first movie (besides the second two just being incoherent garbage). Neo becomes the chosen one at the end of the first movie, and the rest is just implied as this is a logical end point for the story: nothing interesting can happen beyond this point because Neo is fucking god now. So it is that the second two movies become "oh no, everyone else is useless, I hope Neo gets here soon!" in the same way that every DBZ encounter starts with 10 episodes of "oh no, Krillin/Tien/Yamcha are useless, I hope Goku gets here soon!" Except the Matrix isn't even consistent with this stuff and just artificially strengthens/weakens people to fit the circumstances of whatever situation they're in to create the longest/most badass action scene possible. "Neo can bend the Matrix to his will now and literally jump inside people and explode them, what's a good match for that?" "Idunno, what about like a million Agent Smiths?" "Cool."

SIM cards make me irrationally angry.

I love SIM cards chiefly because the idea that you buy a phone and then you have to stick with that one mobile phone provider or get a new phone makes me irrationally angry. Mobile providers cannot fuck me over too badly because I can just go somewhere else.

I also worked technical support for a phone company, but this was in the days of feature phones. So many people managed to activate line 2 accidentally. I liked those calls. They were quick.

I would really like to replace the firmware on my relatively new but cheap and now unsupported smartphone device before said object makes good on transmogrifying into a branded brick once and for all, but my carrier has locked the bootloader permanently, so that ain't happening.

Boo to that. BOO.

I bought a vegan brownie while I was out buying honey.  It is just as terrible as you'd imagine.  Ugh.

Depends on where you get them! The Vegan Treats stuff is really nice, especially the cannolis, which are divine. 

This was a fresh vegan brownie from Whole Foods.  Despite being fresh, it was dry and tasteless and the crumb texture was offputting.