Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Griddlelol, I order you to take down your trousers and underwear before you poo.

Fuck you. I'll shit my pants.

Fuck you. I'll shit my pants.

I'm going to assume this is because I am someone you "barely know" rather than any of the other conditions.

I say leave your pants on, but make sure you poop while sitting on a toilet.

Wait staff workers whine so much, I'm so sick of it. Everyone I've ever met who works as a waiter just complains all the time about their job and seems so indignant about whatever, tips or how busy it is. They always do the smokescreen where they pretend they make $2.13 an hour when they are still guaranteed minimum wage at least by federal law. But the secret is they are usually making over minimum wage by a few bucks if not way more. I'm sure there are many other waiters who don't complain so much who I have never met, though so there's that.

The reason this is coming up is I've been working at Favor for 4 weeks. You pick up mostly take out, usually restaurants or food trucks and they are always mad that Favor does not tip as part of the service. The tips from the customer goes to the driver (also this job really doesn't pay past the minimum, the math involved sucks, but whatever). All waitstaff know this so when they see Favor drivers come up they get all pissy and rude. Like they can't just act like human beings. Also food truck dudes that look stoned get all mad too. I like the orders where I pick up fast food since there's no attitude. It's the worst part of the job dealing with these people. I don't even like tipping for take out anyway, but whatever. Austin is really entitled though, people put tip jars at gas stations and video stores here.

I actually complained to Chuy's (even though I probably shouldn't have) because this person turned her smile to a frown when she noticed my Favor shirt, then suddenly she would not acknowledge me even though I was saying thank you and then just kind of gave me the receipt to sign and disappeared so I had to find someone to give it to. Basically I told the manager that I have eaten at Chuy's a lot in life and the staff should not forget that I'm a customer when I'm not on the job and I do tip then. But man, I really hate seeing the seedy way restaurant workers act now and a lot of places are just going on my shit list of where not to eat.

Some places are really nice and realize I'm just doing my job or will give me something extra so that's cool. The food trucks where it's obviously the older owner are very appreciative of the extra business, it's usually just the scraggly hipsters who work there part time who get all pissy. It's not all bad.

Also apologies I know we've argued about this before, but it's been bugging me.

If my several years at Applebee's is any indication, yes, wait staff workers are very often entitled and shitty. I started out working back of the house making $8 an hour. The shifts were longer, working conditions sucked, and we made about 1/3 to 1/2 of what front of the house people made. Then I eventually made my way to front of the house and saw a drastic increase in income and shitty co-workers. Yeah, you get some bad tips and that can suck but there was this weird mentality with almost everyone where if they weren't getting 20% tips they would take it personally and get all bent out of shape. And the discrimination it fostered just made it even more toxic. Any time a group of black people, military people, young people, old people, hispanic people, European people or religious people came in, there was this automatic assumption that you were going to get a bad tip if they sat at your table. And that just set the whole stage for a bad experience on both ends.

Tipping is bullshit and tip jars that pop up at every random place are the absolute worst. People that make tips generally have no idea how good they have it compared to all the people working twice as hard for half as much money.

Any time a group of black people, military people, young people, old people, hispanic people, European people or religious people came in, there was this automatic assumption that you were going to get a bad tip if they sat at your table. And that just set the whole stage for a bad experience on both ends.

Whoa I've heard from a lot of people who aren't wait staff that black people don't tip, (I know great people, yeah) but I never knew it whether or not to take it seriously as a thing that wait staff generally thought...

Oh god, racism is rampant in all food service.  And the logic is just as bad as all racism logic.  I had a few black people not tip well = all black people don't tip.  I had a few white people not tip well = those are just exemptions.  When I did pizza delivery, some drivers would skip taking any orders that had Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern names because "they don't tip".  So those orders were more likely to be late.  So those people were likely more irritable when they got their pizza.  So they don't tip and are less likely to be regular customers because of poor service.  Self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Having worked both back and front of house... being waitstaff fucking sucks. I would rather work for a known fee than work for tips at a dice roll chance to make more money. I've been straight stiffed, had people use coupons/groupons/whatever and then tipping on the value of the discounted check rather than the check (the time they used precisely the value and then left before I brought the check back was so "good"). I've left work after a 4 hour shift with $13 minus the $15 I owed for parking. Yeah, the whole you'll make minimum wage thing technically exists. Technically. The combination of people who (honestly) don't understand tipping, don't "believe" in tipping, or are just trying to get away with tipping as little as possible without being called out as fucking twats is such a notable percentage that the people who are great and generous gets washed away in the morass of micro-annoyances that the green beans are all touching. It's exhausting, thankless work. And this wasn't at a diner or a chain restaurant. It was a gastro pub that had some entrees over $20. I worked 6-7 days a week, and I had to dip into my savings account to make sure bills were covered on more than one occasion. I lived with my dad and my car was fully paid at that point. Miserable.

With that said, a forced 3 months work in the service industry would do wonders for society. So many of those problems would disappear if everyone understood being on the receiving end.

I think making tipping illegal would be a better solution that mandatory service-industry experience.

I guess I don't understand why if they are breaking the law and not bumping you to minimum wage on nights like your $13 4 hour shift you wouldn't report them? Or stay working for a restaurant running an illegal operation?

The thing with Favor is the tips go to me, the driver. I pretty much make bad money though, they bump you up to $9/hr if you aren't making over that, plus I gotta pay for my gas. The math just doesn't work out in anyone's favor. (I don't think it works out in Favor's favor because if they give me a job where I am taking 50 minutes to deliver ice cream from a specific place across town they make way less for something that takes longer and is melted and shitty anyway.) But I'm gonna keep it until I'm done with school because the hours are just when I feel like it, so no pressure, plus gas is cheap for now.

That said it's just to go orders, often wait staff isn't even handling those but there's still a frown with Favor. A lot of other drivers tell me they never wear the shirt, but I refuse to do that. It reduces the likelihood of me being towed or ticketed in a commercial zone if they know I'm a commercial driver and some restaurants do charge a fee on top of orders for Favor drivers to give to staff, but if they don't know you are with Favor they don't add that fee. But I think a lot of restaurants will not put that fee because it adds yet another fee on potential customers ($5 per use plus tipping the driver).

Plus since I'm not rude I don't think they realize getting restaurant orders are the worst, because they take longer and therefore mean less profit since the goal is two favors an hour to get better pay. Plus they gotta get mad. Taco Bells or beer from a gas station are the best orders.

A friend who works at a food truck told me I should take out a lot of ones to give to people when doing this job so they won't hate me, because he hates Favor drivers, but seriously I can't afford that just so people won't get all pissy, but I guess it's up to the two schools of thought on tipping for to go orders. I'm not even sure you should tip on food trucks, at least in the classic configuration for cheapo food targeted at blue collar workers, but it's usually the yuppie more-expensive-than-a-restaurant-ones I never go to that want the tip filled out. I'd rather go to a restaurant with someone, pay less, get waited on, then tip for that.

Well really I'd rather wait staff just get paid a flat wage like some restaurants have started doing. Then they have no reason to be mad or judgmental.

A friend of mine worked his way up to being a manager at a fancy pizza restaurant. The servers there are very happy to have the job they do. The restaurant as an institution does a lot to make this happen though. All tips are pooled and distributed to all the staff. The main benefit being it provides a buffer to stop any one server getting stiffed and having a bad night. Being in service means dealing with people, but I think like what Bjorn was getting at, if you pre-suppose the interaction is going to be shitty, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think making tipping illegal would be a better solution that mandatory service-industry experience.

It's not strictly about tipping. Working in the service industry is a wildly important empathy muscle builder.

It's not strictly about tipping. Working in the service industry is a wildly important empathy muscle builder.

I honestly think it has the opposite effect. Working in the service industry made me dislike people. If empathy building is the goal I'm going to vote for non-competitive, not-for-profit work that benefits a community.

Having worked both back and front of house... being waitstaff fucking sucks. I would rather work for a known fee than work for tips at a dice roll chance to make more money. I've been straight stiffed, had people use coupons/groupons/whatever and then tipping on the value of the discounted check rather than the check (the time they used precisely the value and then left before I brought the check back was so "good"). I've left work after a 4 hour shift with $13 minus the $15 I owed for parking. Yeah, the whole you'll make minimum wage thing technically exists. Technically. The combination of people who (honestly) don't understand tipping, don't "believe" in tipping, or are just trying to get away with tipping as little as possible without being called out as fucking twats is such a notable percentage that the people who are great and generous gets washed away in the morass of micro-annoyances that the green beans are all touching. It's exhausting, thankless work. And this wasn't at a diner or a chain restaurant. It was a gastro pub that had some entrees over $20. I worked 6-7 days a week, and I had to dip into my savings account to make sure bills were covered on more than one occasion. I lived with my dad and my car was fully paid at that point. Miserable.

With that said, a forced 3 months work in the service industry would do wonders for society. So many of those problems would disappear if everyone understood being on the receiving end.

Damn, that's quite different from my experience and sounds super shitty! I still find it hard to fault the customer though and think it is really on restaurant owners to set their prices in a way that they can pay their staff a fair wage without relying on donations from customers. I've seen so many people from so many walks of life that are bad tippers for one reason or another. But at the end of the day, it is their money and tipping isn't mandatory. For some, eating out is a rare treat and they just can't afford dropping a good tip, some people are bad at math, and some people can afford it but just don't feel like being charitable. Unfortunately, it is all too easy to just assume they are all just assholes. I'm guilty of that too unfortunately as it can be quite a vicious environment.

And I totally agree on a forced 3 months work in the service industry. To this day, I attribute my years at Applebee's as the most valuable life experience I've had. You learn so goddamn much about people and conversation and body language.

Stop the presses.  Old guy complains about "kids these days", film at eleven.  Tune in next week for our exciting expose about walking uphill both ways, in the snow. 

I would really love a world where things cost what they say on the sticker. No haggling for a car or a discount on something, no worrying about tipping, none of it.

So I guess we are apparently in the middle of a "heroin abuse epidemic". It's scary to think that it is spreading so fast and infecting so many people. I wonder what precautions I can take to avoid catching it.

I know that's a joke, but man, that is a big deal at my work right now. If you're prescribed opiates, be very careful with how often you take them. If you think you're overprescribed opiates and your doctor is dismissive of your concerns, please tell someone who's in charge of them.

I know that's a joke, but man, that is a big deal at my work right now. If you're prescribed opiates, be very careful with how often you take them. If you think you're overprescribed opiates and your doctor is dismissive of your concerns, please tell someone who's in charge of them.

Sorry if I came across as insensitive. I'm just being pedantic about the way the word 'epidemic' is so casually thrown around with this kind of stuff.