Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Lot's of ways to naturally commit ant genocide. I thought I remembered reading somewhere else that the vinegar actually melts their insides but I can't seem to find it. My apologies if that was inaccurate.

We hit critical infestation this afternoon, wife called in a near panic saying get home and bring the strongest pesticides could find. They were climbing up the walls, couch, and windows.

Ended up caulking window gaps, poured powder between wall and baseboards, and going to spray the perimeter when rain clears.

Generally sucks, I used to wake up in the middle of the night as a kid panicked that ants were climbing on me. These little climbers better stay out of the bedroom or imma be in fits

That really sucks. It's weird how something like that can turn even the most compassionate, life loving people into genocidal maniacs. I hope you annihilate every single one of those fuckers.

There is enough terro powder in there to snuff out a small animal, at the very least we'll force them to relocate.. unfortunately we're in a town house so relocating may be easy as walking down the wall some.  I also spied a wasp go into a corner where the mortar crumbled some, they'll get theirs this weekend

I have no idea where new sofas come from. Everyone I know gets theirs cheap off craigslist, or other places in the sofa shadow market. Who's buying these new sofas? Is the sofa trade the new "import/export business?"

Well, I just bought a new one for what it's worth. It kind of felt like the thing to do when moving into our newly-bought house.

There's a thing people do on Twitter that drives me up the wall: side tweeting other peoples work in a positive way without linking to the original. Even taking screenshots of pertinent paragraphs. I noticed Nick Capozzi doing it this morning regarding this article by Mammon Machine (the link to the original post seems to be broken), but he's in no way unique in this practice. 

I'm all "this article sounds interesting, and I'd like to follow that hyperlink, but I can't". So I have to google it, but I have to type a chunk of the article out by hand with quotes around it to find it (since you can't copy text out of a jpg). 

Just give me a link!!!!

I feel like some terrible hybrid of an entitled punk kid who doesn't know how good he has it and an old man yelling at a cloud.

This discussion about eating proclivities is really fascinating to me as someone who has compulsive eating issues. 

Blarf. As is always the case, there's a much cleaner data souce that I hadn't noticed since I don't know anything about wikipedia. WikiData provide just the structured data set. (e.g.: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q519641) That's fine for your purposes because it retains parent/child relationships, and that's all you're really interested in. There's also apparently an entire Java toolkit devoted to accessing the data.

That's what happens when you have no idea what you're doing. Well, it should be relatively straight forward now.

Results!

Searching from Q1339109 to Q723932 in 2 steps
Creating person: Q723932
Creating person: Q2728803
Creating person: Q145112
Creating person: Q562630
Creating person: Q170654
Creating person: Q2069992
Creating person: Q623188
Creating person: Q2104024
Creating person: Q2878505
Creating person: Q519641
Creating person: Q234219
Creating person: Q4691505
Creating person: Q144473
Creating person: Q1944387
Creating person: Q667122
Creating person: Q1339109
Created 16 people with a depth of 2
Q1339109
Child of Q519641
Child of Q723932

This tells you that Stephen I, Count of Burgundy is the grandson of Reginald I, Count of Burgundy.

Those numbers are wikidata IDs. I need to add a lookup function to get the Label associated with each page. I also need to add the ability to read the usernames from the command line, or to query the user for them when the program is run.

I'd also like to add the ability for the user to input a name (E.g. "Henry") and have the program return all results from the wikidata results to disambiguate ("Henry VIII of England").

I suppose I could also build a swing UI with a query box, and possibly use a graphing library to display the family tree on the outside. It depends on if I want to re-learn swing, I guess.

That's the first actually functional thing I've coded in years. It was kind of fun.

Edit:

Created 100 people with a depth of 5

=======================
Stephen I, Count of Burgundy 
Parent of: Renaud III, Count of Burgundy 
Spouse of: Agatha of Lorraine 
Child of: Simon I, Duke of Lorraine 
Parent of: Matthias I, Duke of Lorraine 

Cool.

This tells you that Stephen I, Count of Burgundy is the grandson of Reginald I, Count of Burgundy.

Those numbers are wikidata IDs. I need to add a lookup function to get the Label associated with each page. I also need to add the ability to read the usernames from the command line, or to query the user for them when the program is run.

I'd also like to add the ability for the user to input a name (E.g. "Henry") and have the program return all results from the wikidata results to disambiguate ("Henry VIII of England").

I suppose I could also build a swing UI with a query box, and possibly use a graphing library to display the family tree on the outside. It depends on if I want to re-learn swing, I guess.

That's the first actually functional thing I've coded in years. It was kind of fun.

I still am bowled over that you're doing this. It's so cool, just because I complained about something! Lazyweb at work.

Also, any data mining company is going to think I'm super obsessed with french royalty now, since I've visited those wikipedia pages dozens of times.

What's the point of a speakeasy bar in the 21st century? Is it just so people can pretend they're part of some super secret club? Or so they can pretend that alcohol is still illegal and they want to feel like they are breaking the law? Or is it because going to a regular bar is too mainstream?

I just don't get it. I guess one possible appeal is the secret cocktails and secret food items they cook up and the fact that you supposedly only hear about it by word of mouth. The only problem with that is that the internet exists and pretty much every decent bar or restaurant will already have their own unique dishes and cocktails. So pretty much the whole pretend thing is the only real appeal right?

Assuming that's what the whole appeal is, then I want to invent a secret poker bar where you are only granted access if you act like a cigar chomping dog the entire time. You are only allowed to communicate through woofing, growling, whimpering, or panting and if you need to pee, you have to do it on one of many available fire hydrants while lifting one leg in the air. If you fuck any of these things up and break character, you are forever banned.

Having been to a couple, I'd say that the cocktails there are definitely the most unique I've had, mainly because it's the really adventurous and curious people who make it in. So yes, it does filter out some of the "mainstream" folks, and that makes it so the bartenders can go a bit wild and create things that wouldn't necessarily sell well in a regular bar. Additionally, it's usually significantly quieter than most bars, which is nice, and the illusion of illegality and exclusiveness has a part as well.

Having been to a couple, I'd say that the cocktails there are definitely the most unique I've had, mainly because it's the really adventurous and curious people who make it in. So yes, it does filter out some of the "mainstream" folks, and that makes it so the bartenders can go a bit wild and create things that wouldn't necessarily sell well in a regular bar. Additionally, it's usually significantly quieter than most bars, which is nice, and the illusion of illegality and exclusiveness has a part as well.

I won't use the H word but what you describe sounds like a very H word concept. Which is totally fine!

When you say the cocktails were unique, do you mean they were unique in a good way? If these are the types of cocktails that wouldn't normally sell well, I fear that it might just be a lot of horse semen apple shots. Which is also totally fine! And really fucking gross sounding.

Now the quiet aspect sounds very appealing to me because shit is usually just way too loud. It kind of makes me want someone to start a chain of bars with a librarian instead of a bouncer.

If you want a quiet bar, just look for an old-people restaurant with a bar in the front. Places with things like Lobster Thermidor or Beef Wellington on the menu. As a bonus, they usually have a guy who knows how to make a fucking great martini, because he has to serve them to people who know what a fucking great martini tastes like.

I wanna chime in on sofagate: My sofa was here when I moved in. The previous tenant left it behind because it was too much of a hassle to get down four flights of stairs. they also left behind a toaster oven for some reason.

I'd actually like to buy a new couch. I don't like buying things used because I'm a stickler for quality, and I'd love to have a nice modern sectional. I'd sooner get a real bed first though.

Is having furniture like that in a place when you move in weird to people?

I've never bought a couch at all, there's always been the basic stuff. Bed, couch, dining table. Housing here is changeable so most people here move too often to bother having their own full set of furniture. It's to the point that almost no apartments I looked at were unfurnished. And I looked at a LOT.

I only bought any furniture for the first time in my most recent apartment and it turns out to be an absolute pain.

Is having furniture like that in a place when you move in weird to people?

I've never bought a couch at all, there's always been the basic stuff. Bed, couch, dining table. Housing here is changeable so most people here move too often to bother having their own full set of furniture. It's to the point that almost no apartments I looked at were unfurnished. And I looked at a LOT.

I only bought any furniture for the first time in my most recent apartment and it turns out to be an absolute pain.

I live in a college town. The only apartments I've looked at here that were unfurnished were the huge corporate complexes and the rooms in the 20-person communal housing.

I only own sidetables and a chair, at this point. I don't see having a need for more in the near future.

We got both of our sofas from my boyfriend's parents. Yes, we have two sofas. Don't ask.

I recommend pushing them together to make a hot-tubbish cushion thing.

I thought I might go to the local gay bay tonight, just for kicks. They're playing that Garth Brooks song, I got friends in low places, and I have no fucking clue what's going on. It's nothing good, I'm sure.

I thought I might go to the local gay bay tonight, just for kicks. They're playing that Garth Brooks song, I got friends in low places, and I have no fucking clue what's going on. It's nothing good, I'm sure.

I don't like country music very much (mostly due to lack of exposure and I'm sure classist influence) but that song is amazing. If you need me I'll be in the intoxicated thread. I had a flight of ciders.

I won't use the H word but what you describe sounds like a very H word concept. Which is totally fine!

When you say the cocktails were unique, do you mean they were unique in a good way? If these are the types of cocktails that wouldn't normally sell well, I fear that it might just be a lot of horse semen apple shots. Which is also totally fine! And really fucking gross sounding.

Now the quiet aspect sounds very appealing to me because shit is usually just way too loud. It kind of makes me want someone to start a chain of bars with a librarian instead of a bouncer.

Most were unique in a good way, a few were unique in ways that weren't to my taste. They also were expensive. If by H word you mean hipster, then yes I'll admit to it. I like a huge variety of bars and restaurants. Depending on my mood I've spent a lot of time in dive bars, or those old run-down bars that only 50 year olds go to, or sports bars, but I also like classy expensive places and wine tastings on occasion as well. 

Lol, slowpoke. It only took me around 3 years.

:(