Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Feelin' pretty good about my life choices right now

The last day of this thread feels like an episode of Family Matters. 

If only there was someone we could pinpoint the blame on.

I've never seen Family Matters.

Tegan, I have a sneaking suspicion that you went back to silhouette avatar because you took my complaint about people keeping their original avatars to the extreme. If that's the case, you won whatever weird game this turned into and you are the cleverest. I hadn't anticipated that and now my complaint just seems stupid.

My first avatar ever (not here) was Hannibal loving it when a plan came together. I am pleased with that.

6NnNErT.jpg

My current is a request I got in an avatar thread years and years ago. Brian Dawkins will step on Eli Manning forever, somewhere.

Tegan, I have a sneaking suspicion that you went back to silhouette avatar because you took my complaint about people keeping their original avatars to the extreme. If that's the case, you won whatever weird game this turned into and you are the cleverest. I hadn't anticipated that and now my complaint just seems stupid.

ENOXWKz.jpg

They're grumpy teenagers! The Sewaddle line is one of my favourite life cycles in Pokémon

Sewaddle (cute little baby that gets cared for by its parent) becomes Swadloon (reclusive shut-in) when it gets a little older, then becomes Leavanny (strong, nurturing adult) only when it becomes truly happy.

It's maybe the only good use of happiness-base evolution in the games.

Wow I never noticed that before. That's really fucking cool. I do think that they put a lot of thought into the more recent pokemon gens than previous ones. But then again replaying ORAS shows me that maybe I was completely wrong about this, because wailmers are as cute as fuck. It could just be the age that I was playing it. (in my swadloon years)

The Oscars are a sham!

Or, why a select group of old white dudes in Hollywood are limited in what they consider the best work of a medium especially when it's a field they have no interest or expertise in.

Basically, Big Hero 6 shouldn't have won best animated film, though I'm not sure which film did deserve it (but definitely not Big Hero 6 or How to Train Your Dragon)

Basically, Big Hero 6 shouldn't have won best animated film, though I'm not sure which film did deserve it (but definitely not Big Hero 6 or How to Train Your Dragon)

I knew it wasn't going to be The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, no matter how beautiful it was, because a Japanese director who's not Miyazaki isn't going to win outside of the foreign film category, but even my friend who was making a "cynical" Oscar list in jest didn't got cynical enough to turn off her brain and pick Disney no matter what.

People were obviously hoping for Song of the Sea, I haven't even been able to see it yet so I really can't say if the film deserves it but I know the Disney ones didn't since Boxtrolls was better, even though there was still plenty of room to improve over that for the other two movies.

Just that How to Train Your Dragon was a mess with not knowing what it wanted to say and Big Hero Six is a pretty bog standard movie with nothing to say except "please give me money."

I haven't seen the other animated movies and I'm sure they're all fantastic and deserving, but How to Train Your Dragon 2 was not as mess. That movie was great!

I also liked HTTYD2, as well as Big Hero 6, so what do I know?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Oscar selection done by some archaic system of filtering down films that qualify to be in the running for the selection of Oscar nominees? If feel that it's always overlooked when people invariably complain about Oscar nominations (if it's true at all)

But I could be completely wrong, I really know nothing.

I don't know the exact nomination process but archaic sounds like a good term for the impression I've gotten.

Also here we go, spoilers for How to Train Your Dragon 2

The film starts with Hiccup shrugging off responsibility to mess around, explore and be free. It sets up a story about him not being responsible because he doesn't want to bother.

Then, due to circumstances he finds his long lost mother, thought to be dead but actually alive and and master of dragon taming. She lett her husband because she couldn't convince him that dragons were tameable. Which is the emotional plot of Hiccup in the first film and now they're reintroducing it?

Hiccups family is reunited soon after with no conflict so bringing up the dragon rift idea was just to explain her absence and means nothing. With little hesitation they are ready to live together again.

Then the dad is killed by a generic power wanting villain and he has the ability to hypnotise dragons into doing his bidding. Thus also means nothing, it doesn't tie info Hiccups responsibility or him and his mother's ability to work with dragons because the villains power is almost magical despite the claim that he's motivating them by fear. Also the big ass dragons that control all the others has the exact same issue of no meaning beyond plot convenience.

There is a big final battle and every issue is overcome, and it ends.

Its a fine entertaining adventure movie with great artistry in how it's made. But it means nothing. None of it is trying to say anything or hook into an emotional core. That doesn't make it a bad movie (depending on your outlook at least) but it makes it undeserving of Oscars attention when films like the Lego Movie did try to say something with its screen time.

The only good thing about researching the Academy Awards process is it puts the final nail in the coffin in ever caring about the Academy Awards.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 made $Texas at the box office and is part of a highly successful franchise, so you can at least feel good that it's a good movie that people liked that will be seen for years to come. It wouldn't have really gained anything from an Oscar.

I don't know the exact nomination process but archaic sounds like a good term for the impression I've gotten.

Also here we go, spoilers for How to Train Your Dragon 2

The film starts with Hiccup shrugging off responsibility to mess around, explore and be free. It sets up a story about him not being responsible because he doesn't want to bother.

Then, due to circumstances he finds his long lost mother, thought to be dead but actually alive and and master of dragon taming. She lett her husband because she couldn't convince him that dragons were tameable. Which is the emotional plot of Hiccup in the first film and now they're reintroducing it?

Hiccups family is reunited soon after with no conflict so bringing up the dragon rift idea was just to explain her absence and means nothing. With little hesitation they are ready to live together again.

Then the dad is killed by a generic power wanting villain and he has the ability to hypnotise dragons into doing his bidding. Thus also means nothing, it doesn't tie info Hiccups responsibility or him and his mother's ability to work with dragons because the villains power is almost magical despite the claim that he's motivating them by fear. Also the big ass dragons that control all the others has the exact same issue of no meaning beyond plot convenience.

There is a big final battle and every issue is overcome, and it ends.

Its a fine entertaining adventure movie with great artistry in how it's made. But it means nothing. None of it is trying to say anything or hook into an emotional core. That doesn't make it a bad movie (depending on your outlook at least) but it makes it undeserving of Oscars attention when films like the Lego Movie did try to say something with its screen time.

I partially disagree

The "dragon rift" idea is a huge emotional point for the mother, as she gave up before really trying and Hiccup managed to succeed, making her pretty much the worst mother ever, yet her husband and son accept her back. That was the major emotional focus of the film, which was somewhat ruined by the magical dragon controlling guy showing up and the writers just feeling like they had to kill someone I guess.