Thrik

LucasArts is no more

I'll toss a quick RIP to the old Lucas Arts in here. As with most that linger on passed their time, what passed was merely a shell of what it was. Sad none the less.

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a favourite game, Fate of Atlantis would probably be it.

Of the bunch of LucasArts games that defined my very being, I'd say Day of the Tentacle, hands down. U:

Ah, thanks. My French is rusty but I think the post says something along the lines of "Last night, with the closing of Lucasarts by Disney, I couldn't resist making this little [bidouillage]... and as it's making its way around the social networks, I've put it up here.as well..." I tweeted it before I could credit it to him, but TIm Schafer favourited it!

Full Throttle 2 confirmed!

Fuller Throttle: Too Full a Throttle - Kickdown: Ben's Revengeance

So who makes it; Telltale, or Double Fine?

Ah man, people need to stop posting nostalgic images all over the place. I saw one with all the gold guy logos earlier, so cool. I'm really glad that Double Fine kept the tradition going of having a per-game variation of their logo.

Incidentally, the Grim Fandango one is now hilariously appropriate:

lucasarts-logo-grim-fandango.jpg

I'll throw my two cents in here and say my favorite was The Dig.  It may not have been the "best" LucasArts game, but it's the one I have the fondest memories of.  I think it's on Steam now.  I know what I'm doing this weekend.

At first, this news barely provoked a reaction in me, as the company has not produced anything of interest to me in years. Then again many of my absolute favorite games of all time were made by good ol' Lucasarts. Somehow it feels like that company was dead and buried a long time ago already.

Very unfortunate news for those working at Lucasarts and those still anticipating their upcoming titles of course.

It's a bit like losing an elderly relative who you had many good times with as a child, but who for most of your adult life had been relatively absent due to their declining ability to do very much. They might as well have passed away some years ago, but it's still really sad when they finally do and it's only then that the real mourning can begin.

For that analogy to work for me demands the elderly relative to be replaced by his evil twin-brother at some point of the story. I find it very hard to think of the current recently deceased Lucasarts and Lucasarts of the good old days as the same company.

My favorite LucasArts game would be Full Throttle.

So what becomes of the surely ponderous filing cabinets of priceless artwork, and more importantly which of you will be risking your freedom to preclude their fate?  I'm imagining the Ken Macklin/Jim McCleod/Iain McCaig background paintings for The Dig 1.0 inexorably conveying toward an incinerator a la the ending of Toy Story 3.

Oh man The Dig has some amazing background art. I'll take it! ):

OK seriously someone needs to get on getting in touch with someone who can stop all that shit from being torched. I mean Disney must have some incredible archive full of unimaginable wonders somewhere, but will they deem LucasArts' stuff important enough?!

My favourite: Grim Fandango. Seeing that image you posted Thrik I immediately had the intro music and the change of tune when the logo changes in my head. That game!

When I was a little kid, someone gave me a hand-me-down floppy copy of The Secret of Monkey Island (which, in retrospect, was probably older than I was) and I loved it to death despite never figuring out how to get past the piranha poodles until years later when I had learned more French. It was a really unique experience in retrospect, because I was too young to understand that it was supposed to be funny. I just took it all at face value. I hear I'm not the only one who got confused by that stump gag. That was really my only experience with Lucasarts until I was a teenager and decided to finish the game on ScummVM, then played LeChuck's Revenge and Sam & Max. I kind of wish I had gotten to know them better while they were still around.

I also wish their swan song hadn't been this.

When I was a little kid, someone gave me a hand-me-down floppy copy of The Secret of Monkey Island (which, in retrospect, was probably older than I was) and I loved it to death despite never figuring out how to get past the piranha poodles until years later when I had learned more French. It was a really unique experience in retrospect, because I was too young to understand that it was supposed to be funny. I just took it all at face value. I hear I'm not the only one who got confused by that stump gag. That was really my only experience with Lucasarts until I was a teenager and decided to finish the game on ScummVM, then played LeChuck's Revenge and Sam & Max. I kind of wish I had gotten to know them better while they were still around.

I also wish their swan song hadn't been this.

Jesus...

I played Fate of Atlantis when i was young, and i absolutely adore it, but i never really had a connection with any of the other Lucas Arts adventure games. (The majority of the adventure games i was being exposed to as a kid were Sierra games, and it kind of made me dismiss adventure games for a long, long time. I hated how player-hostile they were, the unwinnable states and all that.)

The X-Wing and Dark Forces games were hugely formative gaming franchises for me though, and are also the reason i got into Star Wars in the first place. (I still have all of my Dark Forces discs, even the excellent and oft-forgotten Mysteries of the Sith add-on for JK:DF2.)

I still feel that Tie Fighter is probably the very best example of its genre.

Man, and the first forums i ever posted on were some Dark Forces fansites, not long after i was first online grabbing Quake mods from ftp.cdrom.com. (I think a few of those Dark Forces fansites might still be around, well over fifteen years later.)

I have to be honest. That Star Wars dance thing is so hilariously out of character, it's obvious they were just having fun with it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. The rest of the game is, I guess, not so great, but man that kind of made ME want to dance and I don't dance.

In other words: If you're going to complain about the last LucasArts game being bad, don't post videos of the only part that looks good.

OK seriously someone needs to get on getting in touch with someone who can stop all that shit from being torched. I mean Disney must have some incredible archive full of unimaginable wonders somewhere, but will they deem LucasArts' stuff important enough?!

As a matter of fact, Disney does have an incredible archive (see section on Becky Cline). This article suggests that the same influx of materials into the vault that happened when Disney reacquired Oswald happened with Star Wars. Here's hoping.

I have to be honest. That Star Wars dance thing is so hilariously out of character, it's obvious they were just having fun with it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. The rest of the game is, I guess, not so great, but man that kind of made ME want to dance and I don't dance.

In other words: If you're going to complain about the last LucasArts game being bad, don't post videos of the only part that looks good.

Haha I have to agree.