tegan

Transistor

The gameplay looks very much in the vein of Bastion so you might be disappointed in that respect.

Lovely trailer, great soundtrack, awesome art direction, this made me very happy!

Looks remarkably finished for a game that's not due out for a year :(

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not sure about the style yet, and I really don't want to form any opinion yet. I really enjoyed playing bastion, and I can't imagine this futuristic bastion to be much different.

I'm pumped and will be pumped every time I'm reminded of its existence. Bastion is one of those games that does all of the things ALL OF THE THINGS right for me.

I'm pumped and will be pumped every time I'm reminded of its existence. Bastion is one of those games that does all of the things ALL OF THE THINGS right for me.

Pretty much this. I didn't even close Bastion between beating it for the first time and beating it for the second time. I had a day off, finished the last level of Bastion, realized I still had 6 hours before going to pick up my girlfriend from work, and beat the whole new game plus because I could. Loved every second. And that music (and that elephant). Just, damn. So good.

oh man oh man i wanna play bastion again now

I never finished Bastion. I was literally like fifteen minutes away from the end and i just never finished it.

This looks beautiful though, i love the art. Definitely want to play it.

The gameplay looks very much in the vein of Bastion so you might be disappointed in that respect.

Apparently they've said that it's going to be "more strategic" this time around, and notice that the protagonist never uses any melee attacks in that trailer .Everything seems to be either ranged shots or based on some kind of area of effect.

I loved Bastion.  I still listen to the soundtrack from time to time.  Really excited for Transistor.  They're supposed to be showing some stuff off at PAX East later this week.  I'm definitely going to check it out.  And the Supergiant booth is right next to the Double Fine booth.

Apparently they've said that it's going to be "more strategic" this time around, and notice that the protagonist never uses any melee attacks in that trailer .Everything seems to be either ranged shots or based on some kind of area of effect.

Yeah I though that, she moves around quite slowly with a funny stilted walking animation. If it was an action game it would need a combat roll like in bastion, maybe a teleport. You'd be pretty annoyed if the only way you could escape a 30ft killer robot was to goose step away at 2mph. I think this may end up being closer to Xcom then bastion.

Edit. Just watched it again, you do have direct control over the character so scrap my Xcom idea. I think your'll be able to stop or slow down time and queue up moves that's where the strategy will come from.

Jeff Gerstmann gave the impression he has played it on the bombcast this week. He said you would "stop and consider and plan". Kinda enforcing the idea this will be a much slower more tactical type of experience.

However it plays, it looks and sounds stunning. Not really a surprise but it cements in that I'll play it just to hear and look at it.

From what I'm reading here something like Mark of the Ninja's time pausing?

yeah the ninja L trigger shit. although the game never looks frozen at any point in the trailer

what the hell is happening here? i guess we'll find out soon enough
post-27841-0-46989400-1363797795_thumb.jpg

I'm cautiously optimistic? O.K., maybe a little more than that, but like always it's too say to say anything. :|

I got to play the demo on the show floor.  First of all, it plays nothing like Bastion.  It's an action game with a time freeze mechanic.  That screenshot Mington has above is when you stop time.  When you freeze time, you can move around and queue up moves.  When you execute the plan (as they call it) the main character quickly performs the actions.  You have a limited amount of frozen time to act with.  Moving uses some of it up, and attacks use up more.  When she executes the plan, she moves at a faster rate than normal, but enemies don't remain frozen, so they can still act, albeit slowly.  One enemy teleported out of the way after my first attack hit, meaning the rest of my queued up actions missed completely.  Positioning also has an influence.  Hitting an enemy from behind can sometimes do more damage.  Some attacks hit enemies in a straight line, while others hit in an area, so careful planning is required to maximize the effectiveness.  After you execute the plan, the meter has to recharge fully before you can use it again.  You can still do some of the attacks in real time, but others require a full meter to perform.  It might be possible to play the whole thing without stopping time, but it seems designed to prevent that because you attack somewhat slow and the enemies can maneuver around you.  There was also a "puzzle" that involved the time mechanic, but it as a simple one involving two switches that needed to be hit at the same time.  I asked if they planned to have more puzzle elements in it but they didn't know, or at least they wouldn't say if they did.  I also asked about details like if they had a whole story already written, any additional characters or levels, etc.  But everything is still unknown since this is so early in development.  They weren't even sure if the demo would end up being the first level or just a standalone demo.  Logan Cunningham (the narrator from Bastion) also narrates Transistor, but they didn't call it a "narration".  He actually voices the sword so it's more like he's speaking to the main character.

Overall it was cool and looks to be fun.  It has the same sense of style and atmosphere as Bastion so it looks to be headed in a good direction.  Definitely one to watch.

That all sounds awesome. I am so excited for this game.

I have the utmost faith in this studio, and this game. The trailer is absolutely incredible. GOTY 2014?

That video makes it look like a remarkably finished game. How is this a 2014 release?

Presumably the rest of it is still a lot rougher then the polished bit near the beginning they're using in the demo.

That video makes it look like a remarkably finished game. How is this a 2014 release?

Content I guess. Looks great though.

Vertical slice!