Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 89: The Ship Economy

Another Nick Breckon URL could be itsprettygood.com.

So is fucknick.xxx

Jake's point on open-world game structure reminded me of why I like Crackdown so much.

Crackdown is pretty unique in how much it embraces its open-worldliness - the entire world is open at the start, all the objectives (kill drug Lords) are active at the start, and the game basically just says "hey you, go." And it does this without any turret sequences or scripted chases, because the game is so laser-focused on the freedom of its open world - I love that.

It does seem open-world games increasingly lean toward the scripted spectacle approach nowadays. I'd love to see more games embrace the open-world structure as much as Crackdown.

A friend of mine gifted me a DOTA 2 invite for my birthday on Steam. It was like getting an ugly Christmas sweater, except it takes you six months to learn how to wear the sweater, and the sweater is also racist.

I left that thing unopened for a week before I worked up the nerve to tell him I'd rather not take it.

Yeah I had been in the DOTA 2 beta, and was excited to be in it, and the game's just so different from League of Legends (and in my mind, not for the better but man let's not do that here because I think I'm the only one on this forum that plays the OTHER LOMA) that they might as well not be in the same genre. Valve gave me SIX giftable copies of DOTA 2, and the first thing that popped into my head was "why would I want to inflict DOTA 2 on people I like? Do they expect them to thank me for it?"

fucknick.com - 'a Congrats Nick resource & online community' is way more disappointing than what you imagine.

I was expecting the dateline this week to be "OR A CEO", but maybe you guys are saving the worst for the brekoncast.

Jake's point on open-world game structure reminded me of why I like Crackdown so much.

Crackdown is pretty unique in how much it embraces its open-worldliness - the entire world is open at the start, all the objectives (kill drug Lords) are active at the start, and the game basically just says "hey you, go." And it does this without any turret sequences or scripted chases, because the game is so laser-focused on the freedom of its open world - I love that.

It does seem open-world games increasingly lean toward the scripted spectacle approach nowadays. I'd love to see more games embrace the open-world structure as much as Crackdown.

I think that's why Red Faction: Guerilla was so fun. It's been a while but I think even the missions were all basically "go here, find a cool way to destroy everything and maybe go on some crazy chases around mars while you're at it (and keep destroying stuff on the way)." Knew exactly what it was good at and let you have at it.

On the subject of mods, the only one in recent memory I remember being glad I got was one for New Vegas that removed the hacking/lockpicking minigames. Your skill is high enough? Open. That shit gets soooo tedious.

I have no idea why I loved Crackdown so much but it was basically the only open city game I played through to completion. I think the fact that it just dropped all pretense of being serious in any way helped. Reviews actually knocked it for the story, but I personally thought the story being so sparse was a plus.

What was the location mapping app that Chris mentioned? I want to try that. Mine is almost exclusively going to be Mission and SoMa though. Occasionally Castro. Thats not as exciting as it seems though because its just where I live and where I work.

awesome, thanks. Just got it set up. Dissapointed that the iOS app hasn't been updated for tallphones yet, but I guess i'll live. Maybe.

I moved to SF about 2 months ago for a software job (medical startup, offices are in SoMa), which is great, but im still kind of giddy and in awe of the city. I lived in Tucson, AZ, for all of my life prior to this and living in a real city, and especially in the mission, is amazing to me. So I'm maybe more excited than I should be about talking about where I live and stuff. Still exploring the mission, hardly even touched Castro (though when I have gone there I love it) and other parts of the city.

It just feels like this is where I should have been all along.

I figured I was now obligated to move my two domains to Hover and it was really goddamn easy (three minutes of time?) and I saved ten dollars a year.

I had the exact same experience, which makes me feel like a total idiot for sticking with godaddy for as long as I did. I'd been meaning to ditch them since they started airing their skeevy Super Bowl ads years ago, but figured it would be a hassle so I kept putting it off. Turns out it wasn't a hassle at all.

At least my laziness netted you guys some referral cash, and lets me geek out about having TUCOWS as my registrar. Oh, and saves me money. Dumb and lazy wins for once.

The Ship devs actually wanted to make a direct sequel for it, called Full Steam Ahead. But the Kickstarter for it failed. :(

The Ship devs actually wanted to make a direct sequel for it, called Full Steam Ahead. But the Kickstarter for it failed. :(

Whaaaat? I hadn't heard of this! Would've definitely pledged if I had known about it.

I linked it back on page 3 but I guess that was a little too late. Sorry. If it's any consolation, since it failed, your backing wouldn't have meant anything!

Patience, ghosting and no-kills... I played this game incorrectly. I think is how you're supposed to roll as a Dishonored Lord:

OTpHF.gif

(there's a video of him with Jake Rodking you should check out)

Haha oh shit. That looks like something toblix would post

I would not be averse to a "The Ship" key gifted to my person, if anyone has one and wants to PM me about it!

(I'll probably wait to see what wondrous fruitcake-plan is dreamed up though, and that will solve all possible problems)