mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

Gone Home and Myst are distinct mechanically, emotionally, thematically, visually, and in setting. The similarities are that they are both first person perspective games, feature no combat, and as Yohalem helpfully notes, you "look through other people's stuff". By that standard you could call Gone Home a clone of Sid Meier's Covert Action. That would be obtuse though.

Well the clone part is just being needlessly offensive these days for no particular reason, but I think the central point is that there's few games mainly featuring combat-free exploration, the most popular early one of which was Myst. That's not a very difficult statement to defend.

He's also probably right that Gone Home would be called a Myst clone back then, because that was the era of -clone not being necessarily offensive, witness all the 'doom clones' of varying quality and popularity. You have to call things something before they're a genre. I'd prefer to call Myst and Gone Home "explore 'em-ups" but hey.

I get the feeling that he hasn't played the game (myst or gone home).

It's a common response from people, when they are challenged and they don't know something, they lie instead of simply saying they don't know it. Because saying you don't know counts as a personal foul. How can you be so stupid to not know something... So instead they lie, and be even more stupid.

Myst and Gone Home are nothing alike. Myst is about puzzles, Gone Home is a pure "walking simulator"1. No puzzles in the latter.

1I like this term as a new genre. There's a bunch which I didn't like, I did love a few and I see a great future. FYI, I consider Stanley Parable and Journey as walking simulators, just like Gone Home, Continue?987654321, Dear Esther, Dream (so far),  Mirron Moon, To The Moon, ...

The thing is, when people talked about Doom clones in the 90s, those games really were mechanically identical. A game like Heretic uses the exact same mechanics as Doom, it's just a fantasy setting instead of a space marine in Hell setting. No one called rail shooters Doom clones because they were mechanically distinct. Having a fixed perspective (Myst, Duck Hunt, point and click adventure games, etc.) is pretty different from games where you control the camera. One of the reasons Myst was so successful in the first place was because of that fixed perspective design. Whereas first person games that require you to control the camera movement are notoriously difficult for people that don't regularly play video games.

From the store page

Includes:

• Gone Home on DVD as well as a Steam key
  • The full soundtrack, plus all of the audio diaries from Gone Home in MP3 format!
  • Gone Home cassette tape logo sticker
  • 40-page “Designer’s Notebook” filled with notes and sketches from the development of Gone Home
  • Fold-out poster of the Grrrl Justice Now zine cover

Gah I think it's time for me to finally buy this game since I loved boxed editions.

Sucks it's only on Amazon UK, because they are assholes who will sell no video game of any sort to U.S. citizens. Some kind of dipshit rules. So I will have to buy from Ebay UK and that means no money for the publishers/designers (I think?).

Sucks it's only on Amazon UK, because they are assholes who will sell no video game of any sort to U.S. citizens. Some kind of dipshit rules.

Wait, really? They're willing to sell buckets and buckets of DVDs and books to U.S. citizens. My movie-buff friend is probably a better customer for them than any two Brits put together. I'm probably being naive here, but why should video games be any different?

Wait, really? They're willing to sell buckets and buckets of DVDs and books to U.S. citizens. My movie-buff friend is probably a better customer for them than any two Brits put together. I'm probably being naive here, but why should video games be any different?

Yeah all of that other stuff is okay. It seems to be be some kind of law for video games, but for whatever reason it does not pertain to Ebay UK.

I'm glad they decided to change the logo. I really disliked the lightbulb one.

Rumor has it that in their upcoming game you explore a nature theme park created by mad biologist millionaire with absolutely no dinosaurs in it.