mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

I adore Steve's lock of hair so carelessly flung to the side.

But I'm sure he has good teeth too, fine teeth, which will offer him a lifetime of chewing pleasure

woah Johnnemann is kind of tiny or everyone else is giants

Yeah yeah, a BAFTA, whatever. I just finished this with my girlfriend and we both thought it was real good. She doesn't play games except for like audiosurf and Portal because I made her. Love it when I have games we can play together like this one. So it get's MY seal of approval as well. And that's what REALLY matters.

I'm a little annoyed with such a close release date because I've been planning to build a new PC and christen it with Gone Ghost Game but I'm also travelling at the end of the month and didn't want to build it until afterwards. This is coming right between all of these events! Thanks a bunch, Steve.

Also I will buy and play your video game on release on my existing computer.

Only 8 months later, I finally built that PC and, this weekend, I did indeed christen it with Non-Game Home. It's every bit as good as I had hoped and everyone said it was.

As I was listening to the familiar wail of Corin Tucker, the thought that someone will get into Riot Grrl through this is so rad.

So I got a bunch of students together at my university to play and talk about Gone Home. It was pretty neat. We talked about narrative design, the gothic, coming out stories and all that. Though everybody was really hung up on refuting the "it's not a real game" thing, even though nobody in the room wanted to argue that it isn't. Funny how the terrible internet conversation about the game can shape people's reactions to it even before they have a chance to play it.

Ey, one of my favorite game critics interviewed Hot Scoops. Check it out! But please, for the love of god, don't think once of looking down in the comments. It is torture and hell down there.

Free advice, never read comments

Never read unmoderated comments.

Another day, another opportunity for people to argue whether or not Gone Home is a game...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/31/5566098/gone-home-is-it-a-game

Help me out here, am I remembering things wrong, or did people spend this much time arguing about Dear Esther's game-ness when it came out? I just remember people saying it was pretentious and boring, but I don't remember people getting into the game semantic argument so much. What gives? More press? Some sort of feature of the design? Planetary alignment emitting some sort of weird neural wave distortion field?

Another day, another opportunity for people to argue whether or not Gone Home is a game...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/31/5566098/gone-home-is-it-a-game

Help me out here, am I remembering things wrong, or did people spend this much time arguing about Dear Esther's game-ness when it came out? I just remember people saying it was pretentious and boring, but I don't remember people getting into the game semantic argument so much. What gives? More press? Some sort of feature of the design? Planetary alignment emitting some sort of weird neural wave distortion field?

Honestly I think a lot of the arguing was because it was dealing with lesbian characters.  The misogynistic and sexist part of gamer culture (at least the vocal commenting part of our community) was simply angry that this game existed and that it was receiving near universal professional praise.  And they lashed out any perceived weakness they could find. 

It's even worse when those people mask themselves as not complaining because of those aspects. I see plenty of comments saying that whoever hates Gone Home is pegged as a homophobe or sexist, which of course ridiculous, but then they proceed to kinda confirm they are both of those things by bringing up lame stereotypes and getting angry that "PEOPL ONLY LIK DIS CUZ OF THE LESBAISNS!111! FUK U SJW SCUM!!11/1", which is of course, bullshit.

The best part of Gone Home for me is that it emulates some of my favourite things namely walking around, throwing objects onto the floor, and listening to the sound rain