mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

Are they selling recordable VHS tapes?

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

That's exciting for them!  More exposure and more sales.

And probably another wonderful round of insightful commentary, this time courtesy of console fanboys.  That should be a treat.

And probably another wonderful round of insightful commentary, this time courtesy of console fanboys.  That should be a treat.

I read that as extreme sarcasm before realizing it might not be.

GUESS I'M A CYNIC.

A friend of mine played this on my recommendation, and she didn't really like it. She liked the side stories, particularly the father's (she is an aspiring writer) but she was irritated that Sam's story was the 'main' story when she didn't really care for Sam; she read her as basically a snot, having stolen all the electrical equipment to pay for her running off to revel in her problems. She came to an unfavourable impression of Sam early and very little changed over the course of the game.

A friend of mine played this on my recommendation, and she didn't really like it. She liked the side stories, particularly the father's (she is an aspiring writer) but she was irritated that Sam's story was the 'main' story when she didn't really care for Sam; she read her as basically a snot, having stolen all the electrical equipment to pay for her running off to revel in her problems. She came to an unfavourable impression of Sam early and very little changed over the course of the game.

Interesting reaction.

I read that as extreme sarcasm before realizing it might not be.

GUESS I'M A CYNIC.

Half of it was sarcasm, half wasn't.

If I hadn't already known about some of the content in the story, I might have felt the same way. It can be tough sometimes to remember how big and unmanagable teenage problems felt at the time, not to mention the fact that most of us didn't have that particular teenage problem. There were definitely a few of those journal entries that sounded pretty snotty.

Often times I consider how Kaitlin would react, a la Booker DeWitt, to Sam's story...

is Gone Home's ending a happy one?

obviously, relative to how most thought it would end, Sam being alive and with Lonnie is a happy ending, but I always come back to my hatred for the characters Romeo and Juliet; teenage love has never been something I could sympathize with or forge any meaningful empathy with. In fact, I often hate teenagers who think their love is so important they sacrifice as much as necessary to keep it-- that being said, I do think the real 'happy ending' from GH is that Sam is now comfortable with her sexuality, which I could only imagine as being a harrowing personal success, but if we're being honest, there is no way that the days following GH's conclusion would be happy for anyone involved: Katie would obviously tell her parents when they get back, they would without a doubt call the cops and try looking for her, then Sam would be considered a missing person and Lonnie would be AWOL (which as I understand is a big deal in the US).

Obviously, as players and emotionally uninvested spectators we're happy for where Sam's story goes, but there has to be a major disconnect between our reaction and Katie's. 

If I hadn't already known about some of the content in the story, I might have felt the same way. It can be tough sometimes to remember how big and unmanagable teenage problems felt at the time, not to mention the fact that most of us didn't have that particular teenage problem. There were definitely a few of those journal entries that sounded pretty snotty.

I imagine that I had a unique reaction to a lot of Sam's stuff compared to much of GH's audience, as I'm the father of a girl not much older than Sam.  So I've spent a lot of time around teen angst and drama over the last few years (which is even worse in real life than fiction!).  That said though, a lot of the negatives people could draw from Sam are in many ways a reflection of the instability in her family life.  Not to absolve her of responsibility, but her parents are being self-absorbed whiners who have abandoned many of their parental responsibilities over the last year, which in turn directly leads to a lot of the problems with Sam's behavior.  Engaged parents with the right balance between empathy and discipline *probably* don't end up with the same situation on their hands.  So a lot of that kind of reaction people might have had towards Sam I actually dumped off on the parents.

God that interviewer has some seriously fake laughter. Listening to British people talk near American people makes me realise how ugly our accent is.

Seeing Steve fret about the pocketsquare on twitter yesterday made my day.