mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

Another well written article examining the good design choices in Gone Home.

http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2013/09/why-gone-home-is-so-immersive/

yeah that article points out a few things that i thought would have improved dear esther and gone home did well, the ability to pick up things and look at them closely really adds to the immersion, and that domain specific interests part of the article is true of gone home, i would imagine the more familiar the family was the better the experience would be, it was definitely the details of their VHS collection and the music there was to listen to etc that got me immersed, plus i was a bit of a rebel and my sister is 3 years older than me so in a way i felt like i was playing the role of my older sister.

i actually think this type of game (including all the family stuff) would make great horror games, i recently watched the film Sinister on netflix and that could be so easily converted into a gonehomelike game, thriller and crime etc. films/games could also be done the same way. 

This should be an "official" video game term!

I have a friend who likes taking the "-em-up" suffix to its logical extreme by saying things like "explore-em-up." Gone Home needs one of those.

If your friend doesn't refer to point and click adventure games as click-em-ups, then your friend is not a true em-up-o-phile.

("Explore-em-up" would probably be pretty apt for Gone Home. It's not a large scale explore-em-up, like, maybe Fez, I might call that an explore-em-up, but you're still essentially explore-em-upping in Gone Home.)

If your friend doesn't refer to point and click adventure games as click-em-ups, then your friend is not a true em-up-o-phile.

Pick-em-ups.

I felt like I knew where the game was going about about a minute in; admittedly I did know about Lonnie so I had a heads-up, and while there was lots of texture to uncover I basically was always in the mindset of working out where Lonnie had gone because it was obvious what had happened to Sam. The actual storyline is pretty straightforward, and if this story were in any other medium I think the arcs would feel way too truncated and underdeveloped.

On the other hand, three days later I'm still turning it over in my head, which I think is rather more indicative of how effective it is.

I am also garbage at message boards, and have no idea how to embed tweets.

Neither do I, but here's an easy link: https://twitter.com/fullbright/statuses/389903471475843072

HMMMMMMM INTRIGUING

I felt like I knew where the game was going about about a minute in; admittedly I did know about Lonnie so I had a heads-up, and while there was lots of texture to uncover I basically was always in the mindset of working out where Lonnie had gone because it was obvious what had happened to Sam. The actual storyline is pretty straightforward, and if this story were in any other medium I think the arcs would feel way too truncated and underdeveloped.

On the other hand, three days later I'm still turning it over in my head, which I think is rather more indicative of how effective it is.

You should read this review of the game by Ian Bogost. It's the best piece of writing I've read on Gone Home, even though I really love the game.

You should read this review of the game by Ian Bogost. It's the best piece of writing I've read on Gone Home, even though I really love the game.

I had a lot of problems with that Bogost review. Comparing the game to other literature with queer characters -- especially something written by Virginia Woolf -- felt unconstructive to getting at what makes the game good or bad. Of course Gone Home wouldn't make a good novel; it wasn't designed as a book, it's a video game.

But I did agree with Bogost's overall point of how entertainment in general has a fixation on telling stories at the level of young adult (although I don't believe that Gone Home should be considered part of that problem; it feels like a response to it.)