Roderick

Feminism

Here is a link to the comments in the Mighty no. 9 forum to get an idea of the overall tone (and a few people who try to evoke rationality).

Also this odd Youtube video's comment section presents some of the overt misogyny that is running rampant. 

So wait what. I was under the impression that she actually at least MENTIONED that she was a feminist or something, but all that post is is a "Hello this is my name and this is what I'll be doing and it has nothing to do with design input it's just about communicating with YOU GUYS oh and also I like Mega Man X". And it came with some fan art that she'd made prior to being hired. And people are worried she's going to have some sort of terrible effect on the final product?

.................................................................What.

I don't know the origin, but I definitely feel like it's been a "thing" for a long time. At least as long as I can remember feminists being a thing. (AKA the first time I heard of feminists. Probably in some movie I saw when I was young where they, you know, portrayed feminists as the stereotypical militant feminists. (I'm rambling.))

Anyway, yeah, that's cool, too.

Everything's cool.

brb vomiting

So wait what. I was under the impression that she actually at least MENTIONED that she was a feminist or something, but all that post is is a "Hello this is my name and this is what I'll be doing and it has nothing to do with design input it's just about communicating with YOU GUYS oh and also I like Mega Man X". And it came with some fan art that she'd made prior to being hired. And people are worried she's going to have some sort of terrible effect on the final product?

.................................................................What.

Apparently she has said that she has feminist values and such in various places on the internet. The mob seems very upset with a a woman with a small amount of power identifying as a feminist.

Also, there's some twitter status where she says that she designed robots so she may have some input into the game. Next thing we know someone on the team will turn out to be a muslim. Then we will see the shit-storm yelling that Mega-man CAN'T fast on Ramadan. I want a refund.

I want to get into my thoughts on how currency is exacerbating the problem, but I will just mention it for now.

Got into an argument over Feminist Frequency with someone I've played l4d and lol with for years...still vomiting from that.  When I heard "Anita Sarkeesian is the greatest scam artist..." I knew it was going to a wonderful, horrifying place.

Besides, we all know who really ruined video-games.

Obama.

He's taking all our guns away and establishing the One-World-Wet-Nurse-State right around the time all these not-games are showing up on Steam. Coincidence? Or Conspiracy?

How the fuck did "feminazi" become a thing anyway? It's the least creative insult ever and sounds like the kind of term that would be normally reserved for parodies of MRAs.

I was always thinking this is such an easy way to invoke Godwin's law that it just can't be good for any argument on your side should you choose to use the term feminazi.

A term I've seen employed a lot lately that bugs me maybe more than feminazi is SJW, meaning Social Justice Warrior. It bugs me because it's meant to be used sarcastically, but also, what does it say someone who would use that term sarcastically. It perfectly encapsulates so many shallow, fallacious arguments in such a small word count, it might just be the most efficient way for someone to declare their ignorance yet conceived.

I actually heard this term employed in reference to Dina. Yeah, she's a warrior because she got a job and has views.

Edit: Hey, relevance! This video was fucking exhausting to get through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDSfUJBCj0

Yeah, a lot of the comments on that KS update were complaining that she was an "SJW" like it was an objective term. I'd never heard it (don't go into the murky bits of the internet), so I looked it up expecting it to actually mean something specific.

The funniest thing about a lot of the complaints is that they go on about how changing Beck to a woman would ruin the Mega Man legacy. IT'S NOT A MEGA MAN GAME, MORONS.

The funniest thing about a lot of the complaints is that they go on about how changing Beck to a woman would ruin the Mega Man legacy. IT'S NOT A MEGA MAN GAME, MORONS.

I actually understand that to a degree. I don't give a fuck, but I can understand why someone would. It might not be Mega Man, but it's as close as Inafune could get to Mega Man without staying at Capcom. For him, I'm sure, it is everything he ever wanted Mega Man to be, and hopefully more.

All that aside, the funniest part of that for ME is... did she ever even say or imply or do ANYTHING to make people think that could ever happen, let alone that she was going to try to make it happen? I can't for the life of me find a single goddamn fucking thing that she's even said about the game other than that she's excited about it. Maybe it happened on Twitter? Someone explain to me where this fear of gender-swapping is coming from, because what the fuck. Is this seriously all about the fucking fan art?

I actually think Social Justice Warrior has a nice, upbeat ring to it, and could easily transform into a geuzennaam. SJW's for PEACE!

I was gonna say, Social Justice Warrior sounds like a good thing to me.

I always understood social justice warriors to be people who are willing to get into a fight over any perceived prejudice, especially from allies, and who have a somewhat simplistic view of social issues but a whole lot of anger. I've certainly seen some silly comments from Tumblr users.

Then again, it's usually used by people who don't see any problems with prejudiced behaviour so it's probably a shitty word.

I can't for the life of me find a single goddamn fucking thing that she's even said about the game other than that she's excited about it.

The video posted by BadHat at 3:17.

Still can't fathom why it's an issue in the first place. Did the lore really boil down to "Mega Man is a MAN FUCK YEAH!"? As a spiritual successor isn't this meant to expand the universe and thus introducing an entirely different character to begin with? Shouldn't all the misogynist cromagnons root for Beck to be female, since afaik all of the robots in the series were designed to "serve the man"?

Disturbing lack of vulcan nerd brain there.

I actually think Social Justice Warrior has a nice, upbeat ring to it, and could easily transform into a geuzennaam. SJW's for PEACE!

ibxSu8tq9PD82Q.jpg

I forget where I saw it, but I read somewhere that she said that the Mighty No. 9 team is so small that everyone is asked for some kind of creative input, even the community manager.  Obviously this doesn't mean that she's going to be able to radically change the game (or that she even would given the chance) but with this being the internet and all, such things are blown way out of proportion.

Note: I mention rape a lot in this post. Sorry if that bugs you.

There was a part in that video that bugged me (aside from the whole thing). When he's highlighting "incriminating" tweets by Dina, he brings up one where she retweeted something about rape. Oh no, right? She mentioned rape by proxy as is therefore going to get her smelly vagina all over our cool game, or something. Ok, maybe I'm overreacting just because the entire rest of the video is a giant screaming idiot, I should dig a little deeper before I call foul. So I dug a little deeper... and by a little I mean literally one google search. Here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/playismEN/status/362851117673091072

And here's the article it's referring to:

http://playism.tv/guest-post-appealing-to-a-foreign-audience/

It's a list of tips for making your game more marketable in America, targeted mostly at Japanese developers. It references dating sims a lot. It includes such controversial suggestions as "don't make your female characters demure fuckdolls with no will of their own if you intend to sell to women," and "maybe don't make your male characters so gosh darn rapey." Because yeah, these are totally design philosophies which are going to upend the proud tradition of Mega Man, or uh... christ I don't know. It's pretty clear he never even read this and just used "dislikes rape" as shorthand for "is a feminazi," which is kind of disgusting.

Want more proof? Here's a dead link to 4chan that popped up in my search which google preserved a neat little snippet of:

PX9fJYN.png

Someone from /v/ agreed with this point. Fucking /v/, mind you.

The video posted by BadHat at 3:17.

Thanks, I wasn't about to watch twenty minutes of a video with that guy talking - I am worst. I couldn't stand even one minute with his smug ass tone. U:

Also, I should've clarified that I meant as an official employee of Comcept. Not that that makes any difference to the average one-of-those-people person, of course. Anyway, at least now I understand where their "motivation" is coming from.

Perfect.

1) who knew the MegaMan scene was such an open sewer?

2) how little power do those dudes have in real life to assume that a community manager is going to be able to push through whatever ideas to final product, like there isn't a producer, review process, styleguide, or best practice list to contend with? 

3) i'm not watching 20 minutes of smarmy misogynistic ranting, but skipping to the end it devolves into conspiracy theory.

4) since these dudes are nuts for semantics doesn't insulting somebody as a "social justice warrior" put you semantically in the "injustice" camp?