BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I've never come across Dixie haters on a gaming forum until now. Wow, I don't know how to take this.

Take it the proper way! Acknowledge that Dixie is an atrocity.

I wasn't entirely convinced before but Arino has sold me on Mario Maker:

This is wonderful.

I still don't think I want to play it, but I definitely want to keep watching people play it.

"Yay! Kimochii!" is the greatest reaction to video game death I've encountered.

Dixie Kong is actually good, and you all are bad. Hth.

I'm just presuming that all these people are uncomfortable with playing female characters. They'd be much more comfortable with Dixie if she could be much more easily mistaken for a male ape.

(Anyway, Diddy's the lousy one. He's not even an ape! He's a monkey. What were they doing over there.)

Diddy also sucks.

Donkey is king. Cranky is prince. All others can die.

Is there a Daddy Kong? Feels like there should be. Lanky, Chunky...it's like trying to remember all the Backstreet Boys. Funky Kong? He must exist. Cousin Dudley, Dudley Kong.

vomits profusely

edit: i think i like lanky kong although i have no good reason for this

i am a monster

180px-Lanky.png

(Everything about Donkey Kong has been terrible ever since Rare ruined his design)

Donkey Kong is great as he is today!

Of course, I remember now. Gotta love Rare, but DK in glasses does not a Funky Kong make. Imagine if he was like Snoop Kong or Kong Brown. Instead he's Clark Kent. There must be some epic fanlore explaining how he's actually DK from a parallel universe or his twin or something.

*JKO links to said fan fiction* :)

I appreciate that Retro just made Funky Kong lame by not updating anything about him from DKC1. And he is! He is lame.

I just want to remind everyone of Candy Kong.

anyway onto less important business

Nintendo World Championship is back??

http://e3.nintendo.com/

There was a silly video to accompany the announcement but for some reason I can't find it now when I go back to the website.

Oh this time it loaded. Guess it just takes a few seconds.

I enjoy how Bill Trinen posted some flippant tweets about leaving Nintendo hours before the video went up and people thought he was actually leaving.

Is it just me, or is the Wii U version of the first Bayonetta way harder than it was on other platforms? I feel like there might be some extra latency happening on that tablet controller or something, because the qte/combo/witchtime windows all feel way off to me. (Granted, i haven't played Bayonetta in years.)

Also, i picked up Captain Toad too. That game is wonderful. It kind of evokes Luigi's Mansion for me, actually, even in its presentation. There's so many subtle contextual and incidental animations and barks for Toad, the game is just drowning in understated charm. It's absolutely delightful, and may have made Toad my favorite Mario character. (GO AWAY LUIGI, YOUR YEAR IS OVER.)

Captain Toad is amazing, I had to ration it out over the festive period as I was worried about racing through it but there's a surprising amount of content there and there's some really ingenious level design within the limitations they've set as you'll discover if you make a point of going for the extra objectives. Nintendo first party stuff on the Wii U is a source of constant open-mouthed wonder to this grumpy old bastard.

I bought Kirby yesterday and it's lovely and all but I'm conflicted by how much time it requires me to spend looking at the gamepad. The glimpses I get of it on my telly are stunning.

The only regret I have about buying my Wii U is how late I bought it. Here I am playing games from 2013 (Mario 3D World and Mario Kart, granted I am playing the 200cc DLC which came out only recently) while I put off others like Bayonetta and Captain Toad. I am enjoying the Captain Toad levels in 3D World, and I think a game full of those is a brilliant idea. Not sure if I'll get around to buying it since this year I want to get Splatoon and Xenoblade X, the latter of which will probably consume me.

Is it just me, or is the Wii U version of the first Bayonetta way harder than it was on other platforms? I feel like there might be some extra latency happening on that tablet controller or something, because the qte/combo/witchtime windows all feel way off to me. (Granted, i haven't played Bayonetta in years.)

Ok, I thought I'd gone soft or something, but YES. I was wondering why Bayonetta was suddenly kicking my ass all over the place when I never had any trouble with it on 360...

I'm currently debating an unwise purchasing decision in buying a 3DS game to keep my occupied on commutes. I'm currently trying to decide between Fantasy Life, Story of Seasons, and Puzzle & Dragon Mario Edition. Obviously that last one isn't out yet and I've already heard some info about Fantasy Life, so has anyone got into Story of Seasons and have any thoughts? I know that there's a thread specifically for it, but these sorts of discussions seem to get more play here.

All I have to say is that Puzzle and Dragons would be perfect for a commute. No opinions on the other things.