BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Hi all, I just bought a European copy of Nintendo Land, but since I live in Australia, I don't think I can redeem the club nintendo code for it. So if anybody wants it, gimme a holla.

The WiiU is weird. Since finishing Metroid Prime, I've not turned it on (other than to play some Fire Emblem). There's some fantastic games, but it seems to have huge periods of absolutely nothing. When games do come out, I play them almost obsessively. 

Basically May has the next game I'm interested in, but it looks like a GotY contender for me.

Somehow I've accumulated 10 Wii U games on the shelf in a matter of months, some of which are stone cold winners, some excellent multiplatform ports, plus a couple of flawed-but-decent attempts at something new. And Just Dance and Wii Party.

Right now Assassin's Creed 4 is IGNning me. It's my first one and I'm in awe of being able to scale ANYTHING. I'm collecting every last doohickey just because it's such a pleasure to play. Reminds me of the best collectathons.

For me there's plenty to keep me going on the console now, but I guess it depends on the types of games you're into. Need to find Pikmin 3 and probably Capt Toad at some point. Wouldn't mind playing Human Revolution either. It's a boon having an uncluttered screen and the offTV option. And Mario Kart DLC is coming soon! Shweet.

I just nabbed Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut: Colon and a pro controller from Amazon.  I adored DEHR on the PC when I played it the first time, but I'm finding myself veering back towards couch gaming again.  It was only $20 CAD (just north of $15 USD) so I figured it was worth a shot.  I'm aware of the brutal loading times - I experienced that with Splinter Cell: Blacklist.  It'll just be nice to get back into that one, one of my favourites of 2012.

The pro controller was just an indulgence - I like the gamepad, but on games where it isn't necessary, I like the idea of the pro controller for its battery life and better ergonomics.

The Wii U Pro Controller is one of the best controllers Nintendo's ever made, I think: it's just the right weight, the shape's perfect, the buttons are up to Nintendo's usual high standard and the battery life is insane.

I bought an ethernet adapter because everyone said it'd make Smash Bros. online feel just like playing Smash Bros. offline.

They lied. ):

I prefer the gamepad to he pro controller. It feels less like my hands are engulfing it. The pro is just a little bit too small.

I rented SSB and I've had it sitting on my shelf for like a month because it's not generally my thing but zeitgeist got me interested. Finally decided to take a crack at it yesterday and I was actually really impressed. I don't know what it was this time around but I think it feels better than ever. Right now I'm leaning towards Samus/Marth/Ness, but I've really enjoyed almost all of the guys I've tried.

I played with my wife, which is generally a tedious experience because I'm way more competitive than her and it's hard for me to suppress my instincts to taunt and be a sore loser/winner. SSB just has a quality of fun that makes it much more tolerable to win/lose, plus the classic mode with co-op makes it a really fun way for us both to experience the game regardless of how well either of us are doing respectively.

I think I might actually buy this one, which is pretty incredible considering I thought that I couldn't give a crap about SSB. It also helps that I have a bunch of Gamecube controllers laying around and I can get a $20 adapter to make them all work which is pretty sweet. Also also, I guess it helps that I have shamefully bought amiibos that I thought would just be for show but now I can use.

I think I might actually buy this one, which is pretty incredible considering I thought that I couldn't give a crap about SSB. It also helps that I have a bunch of Gamecube controllers laying around and I can get a $20 adapter to make them all work which is pretty sweet. Also also, I guess it helps that I have shamefully bought amiibos that I thought would just be for show but now I can use.

Are there loads of adapters in the US then? Because they're rarer than a snake's fart over here. :/

Hah no there are not loads at all unless they restocked and I don't think they did.

The Mayflash adapter is fairly available, there are several available with Prime shipping on Amazon and you can import them from Play-Asia if you don't mind a little extra shipping cost. Everything I've heard says the Mayflash is just as good as the OEM (our dear forum member Miffy has it and recommends it, if memory serves).

Got the Mayflash adapter as well (from Play-Asia) and can confirm it works straight out of the box, truly plug and play with no hassles.

Wii U Deluxe Bundle w/ Nintendoland and 3D World for $259 shipped via eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-Deluxe-Set-Super-Mario-3D-World-and-Nintendo-Land-Bundle-Black/121522485298?customid=224e27a95cfc4e99b0448618cc20329a&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4b4df832&afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

If you're already an eBay user, check your email for a 5X eBay bucks offer that will give you $26 eBay bucks cashback. Great deal for the ever-present fence-sitters.

Instead of working on my Wizard Jam game, a friend came over tonight and we played a bit of Affordable Space Adventures, a downloadable indie game that is FUCKING GREAT. 

Do you have a WiiU? Do you have friends who enjoy multiplayer cooperative puzzle play? Do you have twenty bucks? THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU. Seriously, you know how you felt playing co-op Portal 2? This gives you the exact same feeling, AND, it's got a fantastic sense of humor, to boot. 

Essentially, you and a partner (or a third) are the polite and engineer (and science officer? I think, in the case of a third) of a tiny spacecraft on a mysterious planet. I won't go into too much detail on the storyline, but one player uses a wiimote and nunchuck, or WiiU pro controller, to pilot the actual spacecraft (it's 3D rendered, but entirely contained on a 2D plane), while the other person has to fiddle with the ship's systems from the gamepad. For instance, it is necessary from time to time to turn off the engines, which has to be done manually, from the gamepad. Or, let's say the ship has to push some large block, well, this requires more thrust from the engines, which is a thing the gamepad player has to do. The engineer also controls the direction of the ship's sensor, it's external light, and the direction that flares are shot (this is what is done by the third person, which I did not have available). The pilot actually presses shoot on the flares, and maneuvers the ship. The game ramps up in difficulty, such that the pilot and engineer have to really work together to accomplish tasks. Eventually, there are sensors that show the temperature of the engines, and the amount of electricity currently being drawn, and the noise being made, in order to pass by alien emplacements that require very specific sets of conditions. 

We ended up making through a big chunk of the game, I think, on the "tourist" difficulty. There's a harder mode, although I don't actually know what that entails. The game looks great, and plays really well, and most importantly, showcases the type of game for which the WiiU is ideal. I 100% recommend it, especially if you've got a friend and want to play a fun, atmospheric puzzle game that's not too punishing for mistakes. Great time with some beers. 

Vinny and Alex of Giant Bomb did a Quick Look of it a while back if anyone wants a demonstration. It looks neat.

Since i'm pretty sure nobody knew about the Xenoblade X direct:

I wants it.

Affordable Space Adventures sounds amazing. 

IT IS. It is one of the best demonstrations of what the Wii U was supposed to be. I want to reiterate that the game had my buddy and I laughing throughout, not just at the clever writing and story, but at the absurdity of our (many, many) deaths. 

Danielle! Stream it (with JAKE, PLEASE, THAT'D BE GREAT) on twitch! 

I have to also say that ASA is incredible. My only criticism is that there's maybe not that much for everyone to do when you're playing 3 player coop. One guy drives (pilot), one guy shoots and points a flashlight (Science Engineer) whilst the guy on the touchpad has to control the engines (Engineer). It is a lot of fun.

There are some real eureka moments though, which are a real blast to discover.

A majority of the puzzles that need solving are based off of your engine output. Every alien artefact has a range in which they react, and doing so usually kills/stuns you, meaning you have to start again. However, the alien artefacts only react if one of your output gauges (there are three different outputs, sound, electricity and heat) reach over a threshold. Which means the Engineer has to re-allocate resources on the fly such that you don't get shot.

One particular highlight was a particularly nasty artefact that was super responsive to sound. Nearly every output generated too much energy to pass through him. We were stuck for an age. Then it clicked. 'Nick, go full throttle at it' 'why? We'll just die!' 'Trust me, I got this'. as he put the gas on, just before we hit the artifact range, I pulled off my master plan: I turned our engines off. Gracefully we crashed and rolled into the floor, passing the artefact's range and letting us continue our adventure. 

What a game.

Pandora's Tower is on the Wii U! Was it any good? 

I got this. 

I don't have much to say, as I've only played it for an hour or two, but a few early pro's and cons:

Pros:

• Can play with game pad
  • Feels like a more RPG version of Shadow of Colossus
  • Cool world and story

Cons:

• Weird Gift-giving thing to blatant love interest, which is a tad creepy.