BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Okay, Saturday morning, cup of coffee, power glove on - time to do Champion Road. It's been sitting there for months, the only thing left to do in SM3DW. And...it's destroying me. I think it would be do-able but I can only get the right timing on the last blue/pink switchy box staircase bit about 1 in 20 times. Any tips for that specific bit? Up until then I'm an absolute machine.

Okay, Saturday morning, cup of coffee, power glove on - time to do Champion Road. It's been sitting there for months, the only thing left to do in SM3DW. And...it's destroying me. I think it would be do-able but I can only get the right timing on the last blue/pink switchy box staircase bit about 1 in 20 times. Any tips for that specific bit? Up until then I'm an absolute machine.

My daughter and I are on Champion Road right now and have about a week's worth of attempts down with nothing to show for it. This is a really tough one. I can consistently get past the first two sections where the blocks alternate between blue and red but haven't made it any further than that yet. Up until that point though, my brain has become hardwired to pretty much nail every jump with pinpoint precision. It's definitely one of those levels that is impossible at first, but as you memorize the timing of everything you need to do, you can just breeze through all of it. So far at least...

the alternating blocks are the hardest section for me.  After that is pretty simple stuff until the boost zone bring a racoon suit with if you're having problems, a cat too for later

im getting close to having to do this f'ing level again with the rest of the team, im up to flower level re-doing with all characters after taking a hiatus from first champion road win

Yep, I'm pretty sure I could recall every single button input up to the first star from memory alone.

So I did it. Sunday afternoon. It probably says a lot about my approach to problem-solving (or lack of one) that it took me so long. Because I KNEW it was possible without a power up, I continued to bludgeon my way to failure for hours. After far too long I suddenly made the effort to bank a racoon tail which I saved for the last boostplate deathray bit. Within a few tries I'd done it.

For me the game was a slow burner. It's beautifully presented but frustrated the hell out of me for the first 3/4 because it wasn't Galaxy. Now I appreciate the differences, though when I play with another character it still feels gloopy where Galaxy was a dance. I think I'll enjoy dipping back into it every now and then, but completing it another 4 times is a bit of an ask. That'd give me all the stamps and 5 stars on the file, no? It would be interesting to experience it with multiplayer but I doubt that will ever happen now.

Not wanting to be that guy but, you know, if Nintendo wanted to make Galaxy 3 for the NX launch...man, that'd be just swell.

You could get another controller...and just throw a ghost partner at the goal post. Turns out, it counts  :getmecoat

Miiverse is still the secret killer app (or feature i guess?) for the Wii U. Wish it was better integrated on 3DS as well. Maybe next gen.

The combination of heartfelt Iwata posts and goofy 'smoke weed every day' posts is hilarious. What a wonderfully weird thing the miiverse is.

Also, for all of you lucky people in the EU, Xenoblade Chronicles is out on the WiiU VC. There is literally no reason not to play and experience this fantastic JRPG now. You can even play with the gamepad. 

The combination of heartfelt Iwata posts and goofy 'smoke weed every day' posts is hilarious. What a wonderfully weird thing the miiverse is.

Also, for all of you lucky people in the EU, Xenoblade Chronicles is out on the WiiU VC. There is literally no reason not to play and experience this fantastic JRPG now. You can even play with the gamepad. 

I was also pleased to find out I could transfer my save file from my Wii to my Wii U and continue my playthrough (I had previously only borrowed the game from a friend). 

You can use the game pad as a controller? That would secure my money.

Yep the gamepad can indeed be used. The screen just mimics what's on the TV, so off-TV play is also in.

I was also pleased to find out I could transfer my save file from my Wii to my Wii U and continue my playthrough (I had previously only borrowed the game from a friend).

Pray tell, what brand of foul witchcraft is this?

Seriously, is that the case for all Wii VC on Wii U? Do Xbone and PS3 do that for 360/PS2 games?

Pray tell, what brand of foul witchcraft is this?

Seriously, is that the case for all Wii VC on Wii U? Do Xbone and PS3 do that for 360/PS2 games?

It seems that it's because the Wii U reverts to Wii mode, so I don't see why this would be a special case. I can't speak for MS/Sony consoles, sorry.

When you do a Wii to Wii U system transfer, it transfers all of your licenses, downloaded games, DLC, and saves. So yeah, if you started a game on Wii, transfer your system to a new Wii U, and then put the Wii game in the Wii U, you can keep going right where you left off. It was weird for me when Mario Galaxy 2 came out for download and I bought it, then had my 2010 save file staring me in the face when I booted it up.

Xbone, as I understand it, will do it if you upload your 360 saves to the cloud and then download them to your Xbone. It's not a thing by default, but allegedly you can do it. Haven't tried, as the only 360 games I've played on my Xbone are the ones in the Rare Replay pack and I wanted to start fresh with those anyway.

PS3 had that weird PS2 memory card to USB adapter that they sold way back when the system came out. You plugged your PS2 memory card into the PS3 via the adapter, and then did a one-time transfer to get all your old saves onto the new system. I got one, did the transfer, and still sometimes play my PS2 games on my launch PS3 using files that started a decade ago. Don't think you can do it without the weird adapter to plug your memory card into though, and also don't know if it works with later model PS3s that did software emulation.

I didn't want to transfer my Wii system to my Wii U, since I want to keep both consoles , so I actually manually copied the save file via SD card. It was also a quicker option since I downloaded and installed Xenoblade on an impulse as soon as I saw it go live.

I think I'm going to pick up Super Mario Maker today. If I do, it will be the first game I've purchased on release day since probably Halo 3.

I'm going to go to a cider festival tonight and come home and play this till I pass out. Excited!