BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

P+D is out! I've got it! (unless it's a EU/US thing)

P+D has a hilarious pokemon-esq overlayer thing which I don't know is in the phone version. And it's actually quite sweet. the mascot dragon is cute. It's not bad! The puzzle aspect is supposedly great, I have never played a P+D game. I have only played it for like an hour though.

Whilst I liked Fantasy Life, I got bored of it before I finished it. The story was really average. And levelling up your respective lives got tedious pretty quickly. Fishing is the worst life.

Did you get bored of MH4U then?

P+D has a hilarious pokemon-esq overlayer thing which I don't know is in the phone version. And it's actually quite sweet. the mascot dragon is cute. It's not bad! The puzzle aspect is supposedly great, I have never played a P+D game. I have only played it for like an hour though.

Whilst I liked Fantasy Life, I got bored of it before I finished it. The story was really average. And levelling up your respective lives got tedious pretty quickly. Fishing is the worst life.

I'm in the same Fantasy Life boat. I just want to be a tailor and don't care about being a witch and got bored even though I sank like 50 hours into it over the course of a week. Maybe I'll go back to it.

I really want to try Story of Seasons because I love the Harvest Moon games and it seems that this is a more spiritually faithful successor than the lost valley is.

Every time I pick up a MH game, I struggle with it for quite a long while before I find my niche and enjoy it. I made the mistake of playing MH3 right before MH4 coming out in preparation, but all it really did is make me a bit tired of the formula before I even started. I just don't feel like going through that struggle right now.

If past trends continue, I'll probably pick it back up in 2 years and love it. 

Edit: Oh, P+D comes out here tomorrow, I guess Europe got it early :)

Ok, I thought I'd gone soft or something, but YES. I was wondering why Bayonetta was suddenly kicking my ass all over the place when I never had any trouble with it on 360...

I looked into this more since i've been wondering if it was the tablet streaming throwing me off since i've been playing Bayonetta mostly remote-play. (I'm really not impressed with the screen on that thing, the color palette comes across as really brown and washed out compared to the vibrant colors i can see on my TV, but of course it's not going to stand up to a really nice HDTV.) Apparently the streaming tech the Wii U uses is actually pretty top-end though, with less latency than many HDTV's. (I've subsequently played the game more on my properly-configured TV, and it feels about the same there to me, maybe a tiny bit better.)

That doesn't mean there isn't anything off though, it could be in the game itself, and i've been able to find a lot of other conversations with anecdotal observations where people are talking about the Wii U port of Bayonetta having tighter windows for dodging and QTE's. It really just feels so weird to me, and i've been pulling in some embarrassingly terrible scores. Perhaps the difference in system architecture led to something going awry in the porting process. (Back to the original versions, it was no secret that the game was built for the 360 and - among other problems - Bayonetta's PS3 version was also noted for, and provably shown to have, more controller lag than the 360 version.)

I haven't dug into Bayonetta 2 much yet, but it didn't feel as off as playing through Bayonetta's Wii U port has. (I ran across some conversations about the inconsistent framerate in that game sometimes causing controller latency, but it doesn't generally seem to be the same issue.)

Also, i've been playing more Nintendo Land, it's grown on me a lot. (So has 3D World, as an aside, but i still don't think it's quite what people built it up to be. It is not in the upper echelon of Mario games.)

Nintendo Land though, It's quite interesting to me that it landed with such a dull thud as a pack-in, because i don't think it would be especially controversial to argue that it's a much better game than Wii Sports. Many of the designs in Nintendo Land could easily support full games, which i don't think could necessarily be argued of Wii Sports. Clearly though, abstracted Nintendo nostalgia didn't land in the way simple, accessible and immediately understandable interpretations of globally known sporting events did.

Edit: Oh, and there's another window for the Splatoon demo at 3pm pacific today, don't forget!

I just finished Bayonetta 1 about a week ago. Didn't play the original so I can't vouch for a difference but the only moments of extreme difficulty I had was with the camera freaking out. Great game though, despite some annoying later stages. Gonna dive into that soon as soon as I satisfy my Hyrule Warriors habit.

Splatoon demo happening right now! Get in here!

I got one game in and then the whole thing just collapsed in on itself. Looking at some buzz from around various places, it seems to be non-responsive for just about everyone. Oh yes, all the thrills of online gaming have definitely been captured here. Well, they got their stress test, i guess. You go from three hour-long windows to just one, have an influx of people who missed the first few but heard the good buzz, and you get servers exploding and on fire. Makes me a little apprehensive about how the proper launch will go, but at least the audience won't be ridiculously compressed into a small window of time. The biggest bummer is for people who missed the first opportunity and just wanted to try the game though, but maybe they'll expand the window for this thing. (Edit: They did. They resolved whatever issue they were having and ran it for a second mostly-functional hour. Splatoon continues to impress me with its fundamentals, i am extremely curious to see how the full game goes.)

ive been playing a lot of smash bros this weekend.  i had someone over and we played for probably 4 hrs 1v1 3xStock while my pregnant wife made dinner and then slept  :getmecoat

I havent spent a lot of time in the single player, but now i'm all about doing the challenges, trophies, and getting unlocks.  splatoon may derail this, but im still not 100% on picking it up.

i'm sure a quick google will answer this, but is the 2-player local confirmed with the big August post-launch dlc release? or is just on the list of things "going to happen"

I also only got one game (which I absolutely dominated getting double the next persons score, and 7:1 K:D) using the splat jnr.

I hope Nintendo now knows what stress is on their servers. I'd hate to play a platoon on Friday and end up only in single player mode.

I got together with a couple coworkers last night and we spent the whole night playing Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. It was my first experience playing the Wii U and I must say I am very impressed. Both of those games just ooze happiness and charm and I now want to live in the Mario universe forever. Even the smoke effects are full of charm.

So I'll probably pick up the 3D World bundle sometime very soon.

I recently tried out Nintendoland for the first time. It's crazy fun!

The Metroid one is great. It controls like Splatoon or metroid prime depending if you're using the pad or the wiimote. The zelda one is pretty good too.

The competitive games are the best though. They make fantastic use of the pad and are just pure fun. I think the Mario chase was a stand out though. They'd all be amazing with more than 2 people playing!

Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is among my favourite multiplayer game experiences of all time. The best part is you can be playing with anyone and they will have a blast, no matter how familiar they are with video games. It's super simple but my more "hardcore" friends can get really competitive about it. I've barely touched my copy of Nintendoland besides the 4v1 games though. Those just always dominate all the time we play together.

that was one my partner didn't like because I absolutely annihilated her. I picked up the tactics instantly, while it took her a few goes to figure out what to do, and by that point she was pouting because I'd won every round. 

Compare that co Mario chase, which is so obvious that it's an absolute blast.

Experiencing my first taste of Humble Bundle jealousy on the EU side of the pond. Crazy that Nintendo is the first console company to get involved. Impressive, really. Hoping for the EU version.

Was just about to post about that. A gread deal (of course), and seems like a smart move. Sucks that it's NA only, if a bit unsurprising.

People are calling this the first Humble Bundle for a console, but if I may be pedantic for a moment: the android bundles probably all work on OUYA.

I got the 3D World/Nintendoland WiiU bundle today. Good times have already been had.

I got the 3D World/Nintendoland WiiU bundle today. Good times have already been had.

Well that was a pretty quick turnaround.

Experiencing my first taste of Humble Bundle jealousy on the EU side of the pond. Crazy that Nintendo is the first console company to get involved. Impressive, really. Hoping for the EU version.

I really damn hate region locking. My mind was blown when I saw that Humble Bundle has a Nindie bundle for eshop codes. The bunch of games there are just amazing, actually I already have most of them, but seeing games that have not been released in Europe even though developers have promised to release those, that makes me really pissed. 26000 bundles sold in a really short time...

The EU needs their own Nindie bundle damnit...

Europe still doesn't have Moon Chronicles even though Jools Watsham promised to release it in Europe when all the episodes are ready and the final episodes were released months and months ago in Americas. Same for Woah Dave! game.

I've seen a lot of Europeans bemoaning the Humble Bundle, maybe this is a daft or overly obvious suggestion but maybe contact Nintendo of Europe asking for this? I don't think it'll change anything overnight, but Nintendo just generally strikes me as a company that seems to be surprised every time their users say they want something because they're so used to setting the agenda and expecting their customers to follow suit.

Usually when I send emails to NoE to ask about something, they don't even bother replying anything.

Now that's customer service.

I sent Humble Bundle a mail about this bundle and they replied back inside 5 minutes.

As it looks like there's no way we're getting Moon Chronicles any time soon, I'd say it's pointless trying to bug them.

I'm happy that Nintendo have done this, but also fuck NoE. :(

Splatoon + 3 amiibos arrived just now. I have a whole day with them at my desk, tempting me. I want to go home. Now. T_T

Oh you got it already? My pre-order of Splatoon has still not been even sent. I ordered it from The Games Collection.

But yeah fuck Shibata and NoE, always something weird with Europe.