BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

SPECTRUM SUCKS!

Has anyone played Pullblox World and formed an opinion on it? I'm coming up to the end of Pullblox on the 3DS and more of that sounds better than Fallblox but maybe also just more of the same would be kind of boring.

"Tails" is a nickname. His real name is the much more groanworthy "Miles Prower". Also, the badger's name is Sticks, not Trixie. Presumably because she lives in the middle of the woods. I like that Sticks is a conspiracy theorist, because that's probably a demographic that has a lot of crossover with Sonic the Hedgehog fans.

"Look Tails, all I'm sayin' is that six million jews don't just disappear overnight."

"Remember kids, if somebody tries to vaccinate you for a disease you don't even have, that's no good."

Ye I gots it.

It's good. Although it is the same. Blocks will be pulled, and the supposedly 'innocent' grandpa captures children and throws them into statues. Plot twist: The babies were actually evil and the grandpa was saving the world. You are the harbringer of evil.

Also you unlock the port really early on, which allows you to see other peoples creations, which is really cool, as some people have talent dawg.

Also, the badger's name is Sticks, not Trixie. Presumably because she lives in the middle of the woods.

I guessed at her name. Actual research into sonic boom depresses me. Sticks especially. It's like a board of directors stabbing at what kids think is 'fun' and 'cool' these days. I hope there's another one that's got a skateboard, glasses and rad hair.

"Look Tails, all I'm sayin' is that six million jews don't just disappear overnight."

"You see Tails, We all know the Jews are Lizard Men, and Hitler was merely trying to get rid of the alien scurge from our planet."

"Drink the cool-aid guys! It's super tasty!"

It's like a board of directors stabbing at what kids think is 'fun' and 'cool' these days.

...that's basically been the Sonic Character Generator method for the past, what, 10-15 years?

Miles Prower? Great.

I listened to the guys from 84 Play talking to a Sega marketing guy, and they seriously think that Sonic is still relevant.

What makes them think that children will understand what a "conspiracy theorist" is or why it's funny? I hope Nintendo don't follow suit and put out a Mario TV show. I seriously doubt they'll do that though.

Link to Wikipedia entry on Super Mario Bros. Super Show

Sonic has always been rubbish. It's a shame that Sega see him as a mascot and put their hopes on him becoming a thing again when they have loads of neglected franchises.

Although if Radman can become a decent thing, anything is possible.

Sonic has always been rubbish. It's a shame that Sega see him as a mascot and put their hopes on him becoming a thing again when they have loads of neglected franchises.

Who made Vectorman? I'd like more Vectorman.

Sonic 2 and Sonic Generations are great games and fuck you if you think any different*.

*I don't care actually, please form your own opinions, it's what makes life interesting after all  :)

Man, Knuckles was so cool and now he is just a meathead. :(

Radman has a creator that loves him and wants the best for him. He's like Mario in that respect: a character design borne out of extreme pragmatism, that would be monumentally stupid if their creator wasn't exceptional. Which can be evidenced by all the stupid mascot platformers made by people who aren't as good as Michel Ancel or Shigeru Miyamoto.

I can imagine a universe where Sonic was interesting, where the characters had personalities and decent writing to back them up, where they enhanced the core Sonic gameplay with new temporary verbs instead of switching modes or trying to force it into the weak gotta-go-fast design of the 3D Sonics. I don't think we live in that universe, but then I look at those character designs and think that someone, somewhere, was trying. Like, 'conspiracy theorist' is at least more personality than Big the Cat had.

How did Sonic ever get so popular though? The original games aren't that fun - I know a lot of people will disagree with me on that, but I always found them lacking.

I can see how the idea was spawned by a corporate meeting on how to make a character with attitude the kids will love, but that doesn't explain why the game play is done so wrong. Sega surely had some good designers at the time. 

I still enjoy the Genesis era games and not really in what I feel is a nostalgic way. Sonic CD is pretty bad though, I don't understand the like for that game besides the awesome cutscenes.

But yeah, I don't really like to let on that I was a huge Sonic fan for about 4-5 years of my life when I was young. I used to rent the tapes of both of the shows and I had about almost a complete collection of the Sonic comics up to 60 issues that I threw on ebay in 2008 and got a few hundred for. I don't really miss them, they were in my parents attic separate from the comics I did like. I think finding out about Scud the Disposible Assassin changed my view on comics forever, Sam and Max was a started to that though.

But even though I gave up Sonic extended I think in the 7th grade, I still tried to play all of the games up until I was 20. I think the comibination of playing the bullshit of Sonic Adventure 2 (to 100% no less, my OCD drove me, but if only I could get that time back) and Sonic Heroes (I quit). Then I started paying attention to video game credits and realized what mostly likely made the early Sonic games good was the designer Hirokazu Yasuhara. He didn't work on Sonic CD, which probably explains the suckage there, and quit to go to Naughty Dog shortly after designing the special stages for Sonic 3D Blast Saturn and then Floigan Brothers (which I haven't played yet). He has been working at Nintendo for a while designing stages for the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong series. Such sweet irony.

How did Sonic ever get so popular though? The original games aren't that fun - I know a lot of people will disagree with me on that, but I always found them lacking.

AGREED. SONIC SUCKS. REAL TALK.

I got the first game as a mail in rebate when I picked up the Genesis, and I was obsessed with it at the time. Great music, incredible looking, and legitimately hip. I remember getting it and thinking that the Mario games were better mechanically, but the impression the first Sonic game left me with was really positive.

It always seemed to me that Sonic became ever-more for children, while Mario drifted the opposite direction and became an 'all ages, everyone' kinda thing.

My feelings were that Sonic was mechanically inferior to Mario. Mainly in the aspect of momentum - Mario rewards you and makes you feel fantastic if you generate high momentum, Sonic makes you feel like you suck when you lose momentum. That always put me off, the moment you make a mistake and you stop dead in your tracks after being fast and fluid. Felt like I was being punished for being human.

I was at E3 a few years ago, when Sonic Colours was being shown. I spent the whole demo slowly walking through the level. Everything kept blowing up when Sonic walked up to it. It was actually pretty tough, but it was totally worth it, especially since the Sega guy running the demo was flipping out. I kept playing it off as if I had never played a Sonic game before. He responded "you have to run fast. Just push the stick forward...here let me show you" and then he tried to take the controllr. At the end, I just walked away shaking my head. "I guess I don't know what this game is all about." 

Guys. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze came through the post the other week and it's fantastic. Super hard, super challenging, but super fun.

It's also a weird Nintendo game as it ignores every fancy thing that's in the WiiU in favour of an awesome gaming experience. I was not once told that I got a stamp, that I should post said stamp to the Miiverse, or whether I'd like to view anything from the Miiverse. My Mii wasn't invited at all. And it was as hard as nails from the off.

The only WiiU gimmik they had was the option to choose to play it from either your TV or Gamepad. 

And I haven't gotten to the weirdest thing yet. The weirdest thing for me - which took me hours to realise - was that if you're playing on the TV with the gamepad, the gamepad shows nothing. It's just a black screen! Nintendo's USP that they must have spent thousands if not millions on developing this hardware, only for a Nintendo-produced game to simply not use it. And it's not as if it couldn't have gone towards something. They could have just put a stat screen there or something, showing your bananas/jigsaws/KONG. But nope. Fucking weird. 

I guess that me not noticing for so long shows how intently I was staring at the TV. Anything extra on the gamepad would have been a distraction.

My main points of ire are this:

1) What the ever loving god is the point of Diddy Kong? Cranky is useful, but Dixie is the runaway star, as she can fucking fly. Cranky's spike jump comes in handy, but so rarely. Dixie's power is always useful. That extra bit of hang time can save you when you mess up a jump, or miss a coin. And then the added extra height too? Why do you exist Diddy? You can only hover. Granted possibly longer than Dixie, but not by much. The only place he's ever needed is at one part where you have to use his water power (which I found out exists near the end of the game) to swim against a strong current. And that's only an optional level. Have I missed something out about Diddy that's amazing?

2) Fuck the last boss is a pain in the arse. He has the smallest damn hit box, which is so easy to miss, and is only exposed when he charges, which he does 3 times, and then repeats the tiresome and long attack cycle before he does it again. And the attack cycle takes ages and is so tedious. and you have to hit him 9 times too. Ugh. And he speeds up every 3 hits. Double Ugh.

I do love that I'm still discovering things as I play. That I didn't collect all the jigsaw pieces in my first run through a level means that the designers are cleverer than me. Which I like a lot.

I'm only on the third world but I've been loving Tropical Freeze too. It really does feel like a worthy successor to the original trilogy that has an eerily similar vibe to it. Returns was a decent shot, but it's like comparing Uncharted to Uncharted 2 — it's hard to quantify why exactly, but it just feels a lot fucking better.

An excellent platform game that every Wii U owner should have. And that music... man.

So I guess just yesterday Nintendo and Koei Tecmo announced a new Fatal Frame game for Wii U release in Japan this September, and it plays exactly the way you think it does. Rad.

I've neglected my WiiU for a month or so but I know I've got about £15 credit on it so I thought I'd get that Shovel Knight game everyone loves and I was all excited and then I discover it's still not out here. Is it full of swastikas or something? Come on.

I've neglected my WiiU for a month or so but I know I've got about £15 credit on it so I thought I'd get that Shovel Knight game everyone loves and I was all excited and then I discover it's still not out here. Is it full of swastikas or something? Come on.

I know, right? I want it on 3DS because it feels like it fits best on 3DS and I love the concept of the Street Pass mode, but it's still not out outside of America because they started localisation too late.

We speka de Eenglish