BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

Apparently they're putting in every language for the countries they're releasing in as an option, which is causing it to take some time. Said as an Englishman (and so ignorant and aloof)...they shouldn't bother: Everyone speaks English anyway. 

The German censorship system affecting the whole of the EU is a shitty matter, but that's probably not what's causing the delay.

Ah cool, I wasn't aware they'd addressed why it was taking so long. I was wondering if it was maybe down to that big European HQ Nintendo shut down last month.

That probably doesn't help. I'm still unsure whether I want wiiu or 3ds version. It's a shame that Nintendo doesn't do cross buy.

I decided to see if there's a new wii U system update and there was! Now I'm looking at a progress bar for 8mins :/ I finished all the levels in mario 3d world, that game was amazing. I didn't think it'd be worth the effort to get all the stars so I called it a day, I counted them and I think I was about 65 stars shy

It was so unbelievably polished, mario perfection, made me wish I had or was a seven year old

I feel like we should organise a Mario kart 8 idle thumbs tournament this weekend. Anyone interested?

Yes. How is this accomplished?

Also, I need to get Super Mario 3D World soon. I was kind of into New Super Mario Bros U for a while, and it is actually a really fine sequel to the classic 2D games in virtually every way — it could have done without its predecessors existing so that it felt less iterative, but nonetheless it's good. But that fucking music! I'm actually finding it really hard to get past the third world because rather than the music of each new chapter being a joy to discover, it's actually the opposite and feels like a huge kick in the dick.

If it's a sign of what Nintendo games would be like without Koji Kondo then colour me disinterested. It seems silly but music really is a huge part of the Mario platformer experience, as important as the soundtracks to Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that a lot of people would feel less hostile towards NSMB:U if it had a top-class Mario soundtrack rather than a recycled cheap imitation.

I've yet to finish 3d world. I keep getting frustrated and having to quit. Partly because I'm always tired from work when I play it.

In other news: I RACED AGAIST REGGIE IN MARIO KART. He kicked my ass and was picking on my girlfriend. He hit her with 2 green shells and took her position in second place.

I guess I could figure it out tomorrow and try and find a time that would fit most people over the weekend.

I decided to see if there's a new wii U system update and there was! Now I'm looking at a progress bar for 8mins :/ I finished all the levels in mario 3d world, that game was amazing. I didn't think it'd be worth the effort to get all the stars so I called it a day, I counted them and I think I was about 65 stars shy

It was so unbelievably polished, mario perfection, made me wish I had or was a seven year old

You should get Olly over for a game.

I feel like we should organise a Mario kart 8 idle thumbs tournament this weekend. Anyone interested?

Of course you pick a weekend when I'm at a music festival. Next time...

Pulled the the Wii-U trigger on a combination of offers at Target.  still need to go back and get my mario kart price matched, but thats a weekend thing.  but got everything up and running before midnight to cash in on free-game promo.

i'vent much new to add to the discussion - except why is the ninendo club & nintendo ID a separate account? that is like gmail needing a separate sign-up from google-drive (or one of their other services)

anyways, glad to have finally joined the cabal, love to join any idle-thumbs related mk8 tournaments

id: undermind9

So here's the thing about this commercial - why are they playing Super Mario Bros.? Is Nintendo paying to advertise a 30 year old game?

Also someone pointed out she is just pretending she's playing the demo screen. That crazy attractive young married couple.

The intent is clearly that they're wallowing in nostalgia for childhood, because Kellogg's, like all cereal companies, wants to encourage a new market to eat their extruded fibre product.

Well if that's what you want, Kellogg's, why don't you make the Fruit Loops different flavours? Because there's no actual fruit flavour in there, it's all just sugar flavoured you cheapass bastards I'm onto your little game you can't fool me anymore

Did you guys know about this? Nintendo Network Premium / Deluxe Digital Promotion

https://p.nintendo.net

I think if you brought the deluxe (black 32GB) wii u console you can earn money back by buying/redeeming codes for games and games content through the nintendo eshop

I need to spend another £8 to receive £5 credit. Nice

The free game you got in the Mario kart bundle works towards this

I think it's only until the end of this year but aye I've done well with it. If you get a bundled game code (I bought the Wind Waker pack) that counts as £42 (wtf), and the £8 Pikmin 3 code I got counted at full price. That promo has been good to me.

I enjoy how concerned they are that random strangers are watching them record a video feature that they will put up on their website.

I enjoy the 'how to hold the controller' graphic in the video preview.

I have not bought a Wii U yet. I'm a little tempted to because of Splatoons. I definitely think that Nintendo is doing some interesting things with the tablet, and just in general I like their design philosophy. Can't bring myself to spend all that money on a new console though when I have such a huge backlog of games on PC, and also plenty of decent games that I haven't played on Wii. (well, there's not a lot of really good games on Wii but I still haven't played Skyward Sword). The new Zelda game though kind of intrigues me, especially since I've been calling for a more open world Zelda for a long time. Love the art style, we'll see how it pans out later I guess. 

I actually find Nintendo's relationship to independent games kind of weird, because they're probably one of the hardest companies to work with, as far as indie game devs go, and yet I think a lot of the games coming out of the indie game revival of the last 8 years have been pretty directly inspired by Nintendo. 

The Wii U Sports Club is, surprisingly, worlds better than the Wii original.  Totally remade to work with the Wii Remote+, and tennis at least plays *much* better as a result, to say nothing of the HD, online play, etc.  And being able to rent the games is not a bad touch (if you know you're only going to use them for that one "Wii Sports party")

Guys, we almost got female Link! Only in Hyrule Warriors, but still!

ZnVNdUq.jpg

I'm struggling to understand why I'm so excited for Hyrule Warriors. I've played one Dynasty Warriors game, when I was about 15. Loved it at the time, but not enough for me to buy another one.

I think this game just looks so pretty that I'm going to have to try it.