BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I got Radman Legends last night. We played through the first world and it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately/fortunately I was playing on the game pad while my girlfriend was playing on the controller. This lead to some frustrating moments because she was struggling with the platforming in some places.

It was pretty cool when we managed to do it though!

There seems like there's a lot to do in this game. Pretty happy about it.

We're about halfway through Radman, and it continues to be really good.  One thing about it is the difficulty can swing pretty wildly, which I think overall is a good thing.  Someone skilled at platformers can still feel like they are getting a good challenge, while someone less skilled can still contribute in meaningful ways. 

I'd suggest not doing they time trials in co-op (they start unlocking sometime after you've cleared the first world and are entirely optional).  I actually think co-op makes quite a few of them more difficult, as they require a perfect run to complete in the best time and other people will just end up making the entire thing frustrating for everyone.  At least that's my experience. 

The good thing about Sonic & Dreamcast Friends is that the single player mode is more like Diddy Kong Racing, eg. you don't just race through every track, there are checkpoint challenges, stunt trials and combat trials.

The transforming levels thing is a bit of a whatever because the transformations are always the same and the Sega fanservice was lost on me because, honestly, who had a Mega Drive growing up?

It didn't feel as good to me in the actual racing as Mario Kart but the campaign had enough to overcome that. Whilst with Mario Kart, the racing is it so racing through the cups again and again remains worthwhile.

Also Monster Hunter with lock on would be a game for babies. Where you're hitting the monster is crucial!

who had a Mega Drive growing up?

:period:

So i've popped a few more hours into Mario Kart. Played through all the cup's at least once. There's no denying the game is fantastic but it could've been better in my eyes. Theres a few stand out tracks like the wario ski slope and the water slide, oh and bowsers castle. But then there's a fucking pallet swap course! what the hell, and some of the reimagined courses are a bit shit like the ice one and i didn't really like what they did to 'SNES' Donut Plains 3, which sucks as that track loading up was my HOLY SHIT moment

The character roster is a little flat as well :/ its full of babies and turtles (i think the problem with them is that their faces don't emote very well) I love Peach, oh and Wario in a monster truck is hilarious as he's three times bigger then everyone else on the track.

The controls did feel funky to start with (i guess as i was attuned to sonic racing) but i've got the hang of it now. The power/slide has changed to 'charges faster if you're steering into the corner' as opposed to the N64 left right left right method, i can see why they did this with the introduction of waggle controls.

Anyway....i think i still have to give it to Sonic all star racing. All y'all need to pull your heads out of your butts and get on the all stars band wagon.

Nope! Even if it did feel better, and it doesn't, and the tracks were better, which they aren't, it still looks like ass. Not gonna do it!

I played a bunch of All Stars Transformed on the Vita. Just didn't click. Earning upgrades for your cars is not what I want out of a pick up and play racer, the controls feel entirely too loose, and the weapons were just kind of toothless and lame. Not my thing.

Diddy Kong Racing, however. I would play the shit out of a new one of those.

Earning upgrades for your cars is not what I want out of a pick up and play racer, the controls feel entirely too loose, and the weapons were just kind of toothless and lame. 

Now unless the vita version is different, from my memory they aren't literal upgrades, just stat modifications right?

I tried playing it on my vita and I didn't really like it either, I think it lends it self to the big screen. Mario kart is actually really good, maybe it is the better game, they're both great! And quite different actually, 2/3 of sonic is in a boat or a plane which control completely differently. I shouldn't be comparing them and choosing favourites.

I want a new hydro thunder! Actually I want a sonic racing 2! Maybe they could make a mash up game like sonic x capcom racing. Just looked on sumo digitalis website and there latest project is TBA, hopefully it is another kart racer.

Okay maybe not

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo_Digital

They're making forza horizon 2 (360 version) and Little big planet 3?

Now unless the vita version is different, from my memory they aren't literal upgrades, just stat modifications right?

Yeah they weren't upgrades, they were just different set ups. Like switching high top speed for better handling etc.

I tried playing it on my vita and I didn't really like it either, I think it lends it self to the big screen. Mario kart is actually really good, maybe it is the better game, they're both great! And quite different actually, 2/3 of sonic is in a boat or a plane which control completely differently. I shouldn't be comparing them and choosing favourites.

I was going to say that there is no reason you can't enjoy both, I sure have! 

I was additionally going to add that I think MK8 might be easier to grok, but having played both with my girlfriend, she got real good at SaSASRT and is struggling with MK8. I'm going to attribute that to the ability to co-op through SaSASRT's campaign, which through its varying challenges trains you to master the game, where Mario Kart only ratchets up the difficulty through the CCs and level design.

NO! YOU MUST CHOOSE A SIDE! ARE YOU WITH US OR AGAINST US?!

NO! YOU MUST CHOOSE A SIDE! ARE YOU WITH US OR AGAINST US?!

Diddy Kong Racing for life!

I've never really given a shit about Sonic, Mario on the other hand is cool. 

Damn Right! :tup:

I've never really given a shit about Sonic, Mario on the other hand is cool. 

But...but he's the fastest thing alive!

Wow, sonic is kinda modest. He should give up being "number 1" for a year so we can have a Year of Knuckles (or Tales, I don't really know who's the Luigi equivalent).

WHY ARE ALL THE SONIC UNIVERSE CHARACTERS NAMED AFTER THEIR TRAITS? Do they have no discernible personality or individuality aside from those traits? 

This is now the "Fuck Sonic" thread. 

Don't worry guys, Sonic's getting a crazy awesome re-do for 2014! And a new 'wacky' 'hilarious' and 'goofy' character - Trixie the Badger! Kill me!

27579-sonic-boom-trailer-di-sticks_jpg_1

WHY ARE ALL THE SONIC UNIVERSE CHARACTERS NAMED AFTER THEIR TRAITS? Do they have no discernible personality or individuality aside from those traits? 

This is now the "Fuck Sonic" thread. 

Not *all* of them are like that!

Amy Rose... Dr.Robotnik *(but now he's Eggman, so I guess it doesn't count...) ...E-123 Omega... Blaze the Cat... Espio the Chameleon... Vector the Crocodile...

And that's just the games. In the comics you have characters like Sally Acorn, Scourge the Hedgehog, or Dr.Julian Snively! And in the TV shows you had characters like Sonia and Manic from "Sonic Underground", or Scratch and Grounder from "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"!

Most of those still use the Adjective/Trait = name that I was describing. The worst is Amy her trait is that she's a she! Robotnik is a pretty cool name, but now he's Eggman...because he looks like an egg. Damn that's some originality there.

I was about to complain that Trixie had the wrong colouration for a badger, but...Sonic.

I feel like I'm 8 again, but man, Mario has so much more personality than every single one of those characters. Yeah! Console Developer Wars!