toblix

GTA V

I don't have or desire the self-discipline to wait months for a pc release, though I respect it. I tried waiting a while on Red Dead Redemption. I ended up at Walmart three days after release going "Man, I could've been playing the last three days instead of obsessing over every detail I get while trying to avoid spoilers in this perverse dance of wanting to know, but having to avoid."

I know my limits.

360 version was significantly better than PS3. I don't think it has much bearing though because that was the early days of the generation and developers overwhelmingly did shit PS3 ports.

This is true. IV was pretty rough on the PS3 but I still enjoyed it so I'm not too worried for this. I'm sure I also read somewhere that the footage of V that's been shown is from the PS3 version which is some damn fine work if so and hopefully indicative of it being the more gooder version.

WARNING: I may have posted these exact sentiments earlier.

I'm getting it on day one for a console, since I don't want to have to avoid spoilers and hear how great the game is while waiting for an announcement that may never even come. I got GTA IV for Xbox 360, which turned out well, since it had the best performance and we did like 80 sweet multiplayer sessions on Live. This time around, though, it's not sure which platform will have the best version, nor who will get it for which console (if any.) I wonder if Digital Foundry's inevitable GTA V 360 vs PS3 face-off will come out before or after release. Surely they're releasing review copies in advance, right?

ALSO, I hope that everything is synced to their server thing, so I can have the same guy on all platforms. Since they're tying the singleplayer and multiplayer so closely together, and Social Club is cross-platform, I sure hope so.

I feel like a sea-change in my apprehension of spoilers is going to be necessary to stop buying games day one. Thankfully, in this case since I couldn't care less about the outcome of the narrative of GTA V it'll probably behove me to wait for the PC release.

Whilst I have much the same sentiments as Miffy regarding day-one purchase frenzy, I also hope the PC release isn't another almost-8-month-wait like GTA IV was.

Mind you, I've no intention of buying it for Xbox 360 unless the overwhelming majority do so. (I've definitely no intention of buying either of the new consoles.)

Plus the longer you can wait after the console releases are out, the greater likelihood there is of a PC / XBO / PS4 date announcement. Couple of months sounds about right.

Gaaaah, it's so frustrating! I know I'll only play through the story once, and now I'll be doing so knowing that a much better version could be out in only a few months. In a way, I hope they never release for other platforms, so I'll always have played the best version.

Whenever you feel these feelings, listen to this and distance yourself from earthly concerns.

Keep in mind that back when the 360 came out, there were a few multi-generation titles, and for the first year they were all pretty much limited by the old hardware. It'll probably be at least a year before third party games really start to use the power available to them.

I just bought the Red Dead Redemption DLC for a rockstar-fix til Sept 17th.
Psyched.

Keep in mind that back when the 360 came out, there were a few multi-generation titles, and for the first year they were all pretty much limited by the old hardware. It'll probably be at least a year before third party games really start to use the power available to them.

This is perfectly true, Dead Rising 3 is one of the only games I can see actually putting the hardware to use at launch for gameplay reasons, of course with each successive jump gameplay reasons become less and less hardware bound anyway.

Regardless, games like GTA are still bound a lot by hardware requirements for gameplay, which doesn't mean they're going to change a thing gameplay wise for a next gen console for GTA V. PS3 version for me, I want to play multiplayer but haven't had Xbox Live Gold for quite a while. I'll probably end up getting PC version when it's cheap and there are mods and etc.

I'll probably end up getting PC version when it's cheap and there are mods and etc.

Assuming they release the game via Steam, I hope Rockstar support Steam Workshop with GTA V. Would get around all the problems with not being able to use mods with the Steam version of IV, and give their community intentions a healthy boost as well.

So I think I spotted some road bike racing in one of the trailers. Does anyone know how far they've gone with this - for example, could the character's body shape change into the traditional super weird frogman cyclist shape?

This is the most excited I've been for a game in quite a while. I didn't even really like GTA 4 a whole lot, but I loved Red Dead Redemption. It was one of the only games that really nailed what I've always seen as one of the huge potential things to do in an open world, and that is just to wander around, take in the sights, and find neat things.

Many open world games claim to have such things available, but I've often not found it. Oblivion and Skyrim were too ugly to look at in some ways and too boring in their things you could find. The Assassin's Creed series always got too monotonous too quickly, the gameplay locking into almost the exact same loop early on and a real lack of variety in art assets and lighting conditions; same goes for Far Cry 3 and even 2 if I'm to be honest.

But so far GTA V seems to be nailing it. I just know one of the first things I'm going to do is steal a fast car and just drive around exploring the world while listening to one of the talk radio shows.

I'm really excited for how much there is to do besides kill people in multiplayer. I'm really hoping that I get to play as a pot smoking getaway and illegal racing driver who loves golf, but only carries a single firearm which he rarely uses. 

I still adore Gta4's vibrant city, its prolific signage, its unique districts, its weird shoe-horning-in of NYC landmarks.  

But I guess NYC is a much uglier source material than LA. Like in "Annie Hall," Allen's character Alvy visits LA, and they talk about how dirty NY is, so Alvy remarks, "I'm into garbage. It's my thing." 

(and

)

/Kneejerk apologist for GTA4's "ugly" environment