toblix

GTA V

Which reminds me, that one of the things that I never liked about GTA4 was how small and restricted it felt. Admittedly part of that was the map being locked until you got through enough of the campaign, but it was also a little small to be honest. Neither is going to be a problem with V though, so woot!

Also, these waves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0BMm-n4WIC4#t=51s

Not the other ones in the rest of the video, but THOSE ones, right there. That's the only time the water is of anything near that quality, next shot it's quite flat the the reflection render target doesn't have nearly the same quality. I'd hazard a guess that COULD be a PC/Next gen console test that someone making the video took some capture from. Maybe.

Does sound like a R* thing to make promo videos in-engine.

God i want realistic waves so much next gen. when i saw that clip of a huge whale jumping in the air from beneath the waves in the new AssCr: Black Flag trailer, uhg.

The switching out from dude swinging in window to dude with sniper rifle on roof is pretty exciting.

The whole trailer looks pretty nifty. I was pretty dissapointed with GTA IV so hopefully this will give me all those warm gushy feelings inside, just like the good ol' GTA days.

This is one of those games that I am 100% sure I am going to love. And that multiplayer looks like it might be pretty fucking cool.

I can't wait to dump hundreds of hours of my life into this game.

For the first half I sat wondering what this lady was doing reading this weird description of the game like some sort of press release, and was half-expecting some sort of meta twist, but then they showed the GTA online clip and I completely forgot about the narration. Apparently they're doing much more with the multiplayer this time around – that could turn out very good.

So annoyed this is current-gen consoles.

For the first half I sat wondering what this lady was doing reading this weird description of the game like some sort of press release, and was half-expecting some sort of meta twist, but then they showed the GTA online clip and I completely forgot about the narration. Apparently they're doing much more with the multiplayer this time around – that could turn out very good.

So annoyed this is current-gen consoles.

Wait, what? You're annoyed that you'll get to play it months earlier than usual, on a platform loads of your friends are already on, without having to pay for a new console thus maximising the value of your existing console?

I get the whole 'it could look better' angle but to my eyes it looks great, and that footage was all real-time PS3 footage. A next-gen release will likely just mean a bump up to 1080p and a faster frame rate, but that's not such a big deal. If you really want it then you can always wait for the inevitable later release for PC and next-gen consoles.

holy crap ... there's your GOTY right there.

Whoa, wild! I can't believe they won't rerelease a short 2 months later when the new consoles start to drop. 

True. Max Payne 3 was a couple of weeks later on Windows machines and not long after on Mac, so there's a foundation for that hope, current-gen though it may be.

Wait, what? You're annoyed that you'll get to play it months earlier than usual, on a platform loads of your friends are already on, without having to pay for a new console thus maximising the value of your existing console?

Yeah, those are the reasons I'm annoyed. No, I'm just telling a joke! In actuality I'm more annoyed that I feel certain it will do the thing The Last of Us did, which is being great, but struggling visibly with the limitations of the platform. Also, I'm not that concerned with maximizing the value of my Xbox 360 or PS3 at this point. Having actual people to play with is a good point, though, which reminds me I'll have to figure out which platform people are getting this on. We've had 63 Idle Thumbs GTA IV multiplayer sessions on the Xbox 360, and I'm hopeful we could get something like that going again, though the platform may change.

Yeah I'll probably be up for some of that. By the time you guys all got into the multiplayer I was kind of done (and incredibly frustrated) with the game.

Looks like they are doing a bunch of new things, which is great, but also looks like it'll have San Andreas level of ridiculous amount of stuff to do, like buy clothes and even stocks.

Yeah the amount of gameplay being squeezed into this looks phenomenal. If they can deliver good mechanics to go with everything — which Rockstar usually do — then it's going to be some seriously sweet shit.

Am I the only one that thinks that gameplay video looks incredibly dated? I can't wait until we're completely out of the era of Weekend at Bernies uncanny puppet show cut scenes.

I wish they had waited another year and developed it targeting new hardware.

I wouldn't say it looks dated, but it was brave of them to use actual PS3 footage rather than the anti-aliased 1080p stuff they've been showing earlier. It's incredible how much sheen is taken away by dropping to 720p and losing the anti-aliasing — which is why I really hope developers resist doing that shit next gen.

The animation continues to be of Rockstar's traditional over-exaggerated style, though. I know it's intentional but I'm not a big fan — it really clashes with the ultra-realistic in-game animations and physics.

Part of me would like to see a token release on the next-gen consoles so we can enjoy the small technical improvements, but really it's a full-blown GTA6 with insane shit that could only run on next-gen hardware that I'm looking forward to.

In terms of gameplay though this looks incredible and that's what counts, right? ...right, guys?!