Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Do you have any retro gaming shops nearby? Those guys can be quite good at opening up and repairing fiddly hardware.

edit: I hope that wasn't somehow a really dumb thing to say, because it sure as heck is

• the first post on a new page

I'd just like to throw it out here that Rune Factory 4 is quite a marvelous little game, well worth checking out. Definitely one of the better games on the 3DS.

Why is tetrarythm always so expensive:( It would be a novelty game done so I can't really justify paying forty quid for it. Boo. The demo was great fun. Does it hold up in the long run?

Also, when is smt I've arriving in europe?

Why is tetrarythm always so expensive:( It would be a novelty game done so I can't really justify paying forty quid for it. Boo. The demo was great fun. Does it hold up in the long run?

Also, when is smt I've arriving in europe?

It seems to have disappeared in the UK :(

SMT IV was supposed to be this year but I have no idea :(

Theathrythm is one of the best experiences I've had on the 3DS. I love it. Maybe not for full price though. A sequel is in the works that is purportedly so full of songs that it'll make the original obsolete.

I've seen it in gamestop over here for forty quids:/ they have utterly random sales sometimes. I can wait. The demo is so much fun though.

Internet being installed Saturday. Prepare for friends codes.

Well, it had to start somehow... I'm finally buying my first full game on the eShop, Pokemon Y. I'm still feeling a bit nervous about Nintendo's license system (or lackthereof), but having recently done a system transfer from my 3DS to my new 3DS XL, I feel slightly more confident in their ability to manage my licenses granted I never actually lose my system.

If I plan to make this a habit, I'll need to upgrade my SD card. Pokemon is going to take up almost 2GB and I only have a 8GB card in it right now. Luckily, it won't be nearly the investment buying a 16GB card for my Vita was. 

I have purchased a 3DS XL yesterday, essentially just so I can download Pokemon X/Y once that comes out. The only 3DS game I have so far is Pushmo, which is fun enough. I also got the virtual console version of the Legend of Zelda because I could get it with the Club Nintendo points I got from the hardware purchase (and I never played that game past the first dungeon before).

But what I've REALLY used the system for so far is playing demos. It's been fun, but weird. I haven't played game demos in such a long time... as a child I used to consume as many game demos as I could get my hands on since the number of games I could actually own was limited by what I could convince my parents to buy for me, and so demos were my source of gaming variety. But since then I had almost forgotten that demos were even a thing.

Playing demos on the 3DS has been cool, though. I'm getting a feel for what kinds of games I enjoy on the system and what I should avoid. I'm also learning in which cases I actually like the 3d effect. The single strongest use of 3d I've seen so far is in Mutand Mudds, which is a game that doesn't excite me much otherwise. But big defined chunky pixels on handhelds always have and still look great, and the way the 3d works with multiple 2d planes at various depths looks even better. Contrast this with the demo for Rayman origins, which looks like crap. You can tell the game would look fantastic on a big screen, with the detail in the sprites and whatever, but when they shrink everything down and retrofit 3d onto it everything looks muddy.

/slowpoke

Well, it had to start somehow... I'm finally buying my first full game on the eShop, Pokemon Y. I'm still feeling a bit nervous about Nintendo's license system (or lackthereof), but having recently done a system transfer from my 3DS to my new 3DS XL, I feel slightly more confident in their ability to manage my licenses granted I never actually lose my system.

If I plan to make this a habit, I'll need to upgrade my SD card. Pokemon is going to take up almost 2GB and I only have a 8GB card in it right now. Luckily, it won't be nearly the investment buying a 16GB card for my Vita was. 

Actually, Nintendo can restore your purchases should you lose your 3DS. We contacted them because our 3DSs got stolen, and they said they could potentially restore digital purchases, but we only had carts in them so far.

I've heard some horror stories, is all. Not having purchases tied to a username and password like XBL and PSN, Nintendo often has to rely on Club Nintendo registrations as a fallback option for what's rightfully yours. It works in most cases, but it's not as straightforward a system as it should be.

Actually, Nintendo can restore your purchases should you lose your 3DS. We contacted them because our 3DSs got stolen, and they said they could potentially restore digital purchases, but we only had carts in them so far.

If you have a police case to send them, they will restore your purchases. A lost (not stolen) 3DS is still doom though I believe.

So this is kind of the wrong thread, but my friend bought a 2DS and it's actually pretty nice.  The volume control is recessed too, which is my only complaint with the 3DS XL (sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record).  I also probably like it because after breaking the 3D depth slider on my XL I've realized how little I care about actual 3D.  I'll probably still send in my 3DS for warranty repair (though right now I'm playing Pokemon a lot so it's not worth it) and given the option I wouldn't buy a 2DS, but I can appreciate why it exists now.  Also it's blue.

So on the 2DS I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally bumping the volume slider and waking people up when I game at 3AM?

Awesome.

Yeah, the 2DS is sounding more and more appealing. I agree about the 3D. Often I forget to turn it off, and find my experience no worse. I like the 3D, it's nice. But not at all essential, IMO. (Even for Mario 3D Land)

The 2DS is surprisingly nice to hold.  I felt like it fit into my hands better.  I just wish it didn't look that way.  Also having used only a 3DS XL, the 2DS screens seemed so tiny.

Yes, what bothers me, a very irrational amount, is that the screens are different sizes. Makes absolutely no sense since they're one screen, and just rubs my OCD the wrong way...

The software drives the 'upper' and 'lower' screens at different aspect ratios, so how could they make them the same size?

The software drives the 'upper' and 'lower' screens at different aspect ratios, so how could they make them the same size?

I think he means "the same width" when he says "the same size." The lower screen on the 2DS is a couple millimeters narrower than the upper, which for some people (myself included) looks just dreadful.

If they made both screens the same width and you played one of the many games that display double-tall cutscenes or what have you, it would look completely wrong.

If they made both screens the same width and you played one of the many games that display double-tall cutscenes or what have you, it would look completely wrong.

Sure, but more wrong than viewing double-tall cutscenes on two screens angled at a hundred and twenty degrees to each other?

I hadn't thought it through, as you point out it'd be impractical for them to be the same width.

It still just.. It sticks out so much more now that they're on the same plane..

Does anyone else have an issue where the 3DS randomly rearranges a lot of your icons sometimes? This really annoys me and then I have to remember how I had them before. Argh.