Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Kirby games are supposed to be ridiculously easy.

They don't have to be. In fact, they could be both. In fact, the early Kirby games were much more difficult than the Kirby games that come out nowadays. (Well, but that's almost universally true for all series/franchises.)

Anyway, I don't care what they're supposed to be. Kirby is a fun concept that is ruined for me by being so easy it's boring.

They don't have to be. In fact, they could be both. In fact, the early Kirby games were much more difficult than the Kirby games that come out nowadays. (Well, but that's almost universally true for all series/franchises.)

Kirby is a platformer where you can infinitely fly.

That doesn't mean it can't be more challenging...

I love the non platform ins Kirby games. Power paintbrush and mass attack were two of my favourite ds games, despite easyness usually turning me off games badly.

That doesn't mean it can't be more challenging...

Kirby was always intended to be easy though.

Kirby's Dream Land was designed by Masahiro Sakurai, at HAL Laboratory who intended for Kirby's Dream Land to be a simple game that could be played by beginning gamers.

tegaaaaan i don't care what it was intended to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ):

The original Kirby's Dreamland was the first game i was able to beat when i was a child,

My casual-gaming niece, who struggles with many games, not only played, but also completed and absolutely adored Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Kirby games are not among the spectrum of Nintendo games that should stop treating their players like babies. You know, and while they're super accessible and easy, they've never really done the obnoxious hand-holding that has invaded many other Nintendo games. It allows me to, as an adult, still appreciate them for their cleverness and originality.

Also: Rune Factory 4 is out today, i've been hearing really positive things about it.

Kirby is a platformer where you can infinitely fly.

I actually try to avoid flying whenever possible in Kirby games.  It slows down the action too much for me and makes the game a little more interesting if I don't use it.  But that said, I wouldn't want them to take that out.  I actually remember being excited about it as a kid because I thought "Oh man I have a move with infinite ammo", then being surprised when I couldn't hurt Whispy Woods with it.

I am playing the Ace Attorney 5 demo and Phoenix Wright is voiced and it's freaking me out.

Also, right up at the start, isn't this the exact court lobby background from the previous games? Except lavishly recreated in 3D, and feeling kind of surreal because of it.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds' dungeons can be completed in any order. That's a pretty big deal, right? Has that ever been possible in a Zelda game? You could mix it up a bit towards the end in A Link to the Past, but not do all of them in any order.

Open world Zelda? I wonder how they'll manage the difficulty level and the sense of progression (in most Zeldas, the further the game gets, the scarier the dungeons become).

Presumably the dungeons, and getting into them, will still have varying difficulty. The surrounding area of a dungeon being very hard might be a deterrent for inexperienced players, so they'll end up revisiting it later. But for someone up to the challenge, they can finish it whenever they want. (Apparently you can rent and buy certain items, like the boomerang, that normally kept you from advancing into later dungeons)

It'll be interesting how this works, at least.

In the Nintendo Direct they said that you'd only be able to get to the item shop after a certain point, so presumably the first part of the game will still be linear.

So I played Attack of the Friday Monsters, which is a damned good game outside of the inexplicable card game parts. I'm a sucker for laid-back games, short games, and stuff set in 1970s Japan though, so...

Gonna' try to 100% it now.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds' dungeons can be completed in any order. That's a pretty big deal, right? Has that ever been possible in a Zelda game? You could mix it up a bit towards the end in A Link to the Past, but not do all of them in any order.

The first few Zelda games were actually way, way more open-ended than later games.

Link's Awakening was where the more linear structure sort of started to set in. (Link's Awakening tends to break, like actual game-wrecking scripting breaks, if you try to sequence break.)

I remember being able to do the second half of LTTP in mostly any order though.

The original Kirby's Dreamland was the first game i was able to beat when i was a child,

My casual-gaming niece, who struggles with many games, not only played, but also completed and absolutely adored Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Kirby games are not among the spectrum of Nintendo games that should stop treating their players like babies. You know, and while they're super accessible and easy, they've never really done the obnoxious hand-holding that has invaded many other Nintendo games. It allows me to, as an adult, still appreciate them for their cleverness and originality.

Also: Rune Factory 4 is out today, i've been hearing really positive things about it.

Oooh. I just bought Monster Hunter 3DS, but this is super tempting. I don't really need more games at the moment....

Well that's the whole shtick of the original game! 

Well, no.. not until later on does it open up. All the items needed to beat the first half of the dungeons are locked up sequentially in each dungeon.

The new game lets you rent or buy a lot of the same items meaning you're able to access and beat all the dungeons in any order.

Or at least I'm pretty sure you couldn't complete all dungeons in any order.

As I recall, you can beat a number of dungeons in any order you want, but there are some dungeons that require items found in previous dungeons. Probably similar to this, except for the whole "item renting" thing.

If by "beat" you mean you must defeat the dungeon's boss before you can access the next one, then no I don't think LttP required you to do that.  Usually the thing that prevents you from accessing a dungeon is some kind of hazard in the overworld that requires the item found in the previous dungeon, like many here have mentioned.  I imagine you can leave a dungeon as soon as you get the item and go to the next one.  But obviously in order to beat the game you'd have to return later and fight the boss so there's no reason not to just finish it the first time.

Huh.. reading up on LttP it seems you could complete all the dungeons out or order(like you both said), you just have to go into each dungeon and get the item that allows you access to some of the dungeons. It was obviously meant to be played in a certain order for some of the dungeons (which is why the items are locked up inside the dungeons), which makes it interesting this time around if they really designall dungeons to be played in any order.

It'll still change a lot that you can get the items outside of dungeons this time around, as you can now complete any dungeon without ever having entered the other dungeons. Also, apparently it's not entirely clear that you'll even get the item you need to beat said dungeon inside the dungeon... Meaning you'll have to really explore a lot, before you figure out what you need to beat each dungeon. That would be pretty neat!

This is just a long-winded way to say, OK TWIG YOU WERE RIGHT FINE WHATEVER!!

Welp, my 3DS fell off the sofa onto the carpet and somehow broke. This is a bummer. I'm not sure if I'm going to get another one for pokemon or not, or what I would have to do to transfer my eshop stuff over to a new system.

What exactly broke? Is it simply just not booting at all? Call customer support, i'd be shocked if they didn't have any mechanism in place to deal with situations like this. Concerning your digital purchases, i mean.

I know they make it quite a hassle if your system was stolen or lost, but you still have the system, it just doesn't work.

I don't know though, those eventualities are why i'm, as much as possible, sticking with retail for 3DS games. (Which didn't stop me from still ending up with a ton of digital games on my 3DS though, the eShop has so much good stuff on it.)

At first everything on the right side of the system didn't work including the wifi slider, but for some reason today the right trigger and the buttons work but the wifi slider doesn't and the 3d depth slider is just freely sliding up and down doing nothing. So at this point everything is fine except that I have a 2ds. I never use 3d so I guess it's fine, but I'm still considering trying to send it in since things might stop working again in the future. From what I've seen online though it's around $75 for a repair and for just the slider it's not really worth it.